UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Tank lining - good? bad idea?

Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Goofle

Bike: M900
Tank lining - good? bad idea?

As many may have read in a separate thread I’ve just had a leak on my tank repaired and then it resprayed. I’m just considering if I should do anything to the inside of the tank prior to use? It’s empty and dry - would this be a good opportunity to use one of the epoxy resin linings I’ve seen advertised as a defence against new methanol fuel? If so which one??

Thanks in advance,

Goofle.
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
The original tank on my Streetfighter 848 has swollen due to ethanol in the fuel. I bought a lightly scratched unswollen second hand tank from France for under £200 and had it coated (internally) with Caswell ethanol resistant fuel tank sealer and the outside repainted. I haven’t fitted it yet, but plan to do so in the next couple of months. I see no reason why you shouldn’t use a similar type of sealant on your tank in order to protect it. Metal tanks can also suffer from issues with ethanol in petrol and with E10 fuel just around the corner it would seem to be a sensible thing to do.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Goofle

Bike: M900
Thanks, I’m inclined to agree. However, the bike doesn’t do a huge mileage so I’m considering just running it on whichever petrol supplier it is that doesn’t add ethanol to its super unleaded product (if they still continue not to) but that makes life rather awkward at refuelling time!
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
mickj

Bike: M1200s
At the moment it's only Esso super unleaded that is ethanol free, every other garage uses E5 but that might change if the UK goes to E10.