UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Advice please on rebuilding a 2005 Monster

Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #31
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Even the best is E5 now. That's up to 5% Ethanol... So suck it up!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #32
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Which does mean the water content of the fuel you buy has increased, ethanol holds it's own weight/mass in water ... hence the rusting of tank bases ... the expanding fuel tanks ... rotting rubber ... additional corrosion ... decreased MPG ... decreased power output and all the rest of the goodness that accompanies it.

Which is also water at (todays local best price) £1:20 a litre

Seal the tank before it looks like a pregnant elephant
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #33
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Not anymore it would seem- least not in West Sussex. My local Esso station down the road doesn’t even have super-unleaded and this one a few miles away at Pulborough clearly states both regular and super as being E5.

Don't panic, Flip, it's only the labelling that's changed...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=57647
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #34
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Not anymore it would seem- least not in West Sussex. My local Esso station down the road doesn’t even have super-unleaded and this one a few miles away at Pulborough clearly states both regular and super as being E5.

Its UK wide now ...Esso have been forced into dropping pure benzine by UK legislation ....sad
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #35
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:

I have contacted Esso and they tell me that it's a legal requirement to have the stickers on all pumps but their Supreme+ fuel is still ethanol free. E5 just means it can contain up to 5% ethanol.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #36
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
Which does mean the water content of the fuel you buy has increased, ethanol holds it's own weight/mass in water ... hence the rusting of tank bases ... the expanding fuel tanks ... rotting rubber ... additional corrosion ... decreased MPG ... decreased power output and all the rest of the goodness that accompanies it.

Which is also water at (todays local best price) £1:20 a litre

Seal the tank before it looks like a pregnant elephant
I'm no scientist, but I'm going to disagree with this.
The fuel does not come with increased water content from the pump (or shouldn't if it's been stored properly), so you're not buying water at petrol rates.

Ethanol is hygroscopic. That is to say it can and will absorb water from the air, if it is exposed to it.
Air is drawn into the tank via the breather as the fuel level drops, so it is exposed to air in this way.
If you top the tank up at the end of each journey, then the amount of air/moisture in the tank is at the minimum possible. This is especially important if there is an interval of days before the next ride. So store your bike with a full tank.. Preferably do this with low Ethanol or Ethanol free fuel.

It's perfectly possible to get a little water in the tank even if no Ethanol is used, so a periodic drain and clean is a good thing. This phenomenon is not unique to Ethanol.

Not sure what exactly causes all the problems associated with Ethanol, but I'm guessing that it's osmosis. what the role of water has in this I also don't know.

Regarding the effect on power and mpg, lets just think of the use of water/alcohol injection in aero engines, and also that strange phenomenon that we all must have noticed when the engine really seems to run well on a damp evening??

Sorry guys, not joining in with all this alarmist stuff and claiming to be a victim. There has got to be some logic in trying to grow renewable fuel rather than burning the finite fossil stuff?.. Just needs a slightly different management.

...Oh bugger! Just remembered I've left the bike empty after a wet ride home two weeks ago..
Old 06-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #37
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Its UK wide now ...Esso have been forced into dropping pure benzine by UK legislation ....sad
I would refer the honourable gentleman to my reply to this question that he raised on 25 July 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post

Always treat with caution any news that starts with the word 'apparently'!

So, apparently(!), the appearance of 'E5' labels on forecourt pumps has nothing to do with any changes to Esso's Synergy Supreme+, it is merely the application of new fuel labelling guidelines previously announced by the government back in February.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...-greener-fuels

Under the new rules, two new labels must be shown on all pumps by September - 'E5' and 'B7'; 'E5' means petrol with an ethanol content not exceeding 5% (so including ethanol-free), and 'B7' is for diesel with no more than 7% FAME (Fatty acid methyl ester).

If and when 10% ethanol fuel is introduced, then a new label 'E10' will be introduced for 5%-10% ethanol content.

There is still no legislation requiring a minimum ethanol content in fuel; legislation only governs maximum ethanol content.

An email to Esso yesterday prompted the now familiar response i.e.

"Esso Synergy Supreme+ is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland) and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Synergy Supreme+ in other areas of the UK."

So...as you were!

[I'll attach a copy of this to the other ethanol thread to bring everything together http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?t=54542]
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #38
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I always buy Esso now.

I seem to recall that adding fuel preserver is benificial too for the winter? Anyone have anything to add to this?

https://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/...ct&db_pid=1395

Last edited by Jez900ie; 06-10-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #39
Hamish

Hi Gazza and Dave,
Really enjoyed the Norfolk Branch MOC Meeting with you guys yesterday. Thank you for all your brilliant advice and thanks for coming to look at our 4 boxes of Monster 620 bits.
Utopia - Thanks for your offer of your ultra sound machine - Gazza has taken our injectors to clean them in your machine.

Thanks again all.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #40
Hamish

Hi Gary & Dave,

Thanks again for popping across to see us yesterday, and giving us some excellent advice. Your bikes sounded great as they went up the road. We managed to get the cam belts re-adjusted, fitted the shims in the rear swing arm, found the choke lever and fitted it and put the rear wheel back on.
We bled the rear brakes off the bike as suggested with the slave much higher than the master, and it works really well.

Thanks again.

Photos to follow.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #41
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Good to see you again and to meet Hamish.
You've made some fantastic progress and it's looking good.
Good news finding the choke lever... Even if it's really a fast idle lever with a choke symbol on it..

Till next time.. Keep up the good work.
Old 21-01-2020, 06:21 AM   #42
Hamish

Hi Guys,

Great to meet up with some of you for breakfast on Sunday. Thanks Gazza for the tank clip - very kind of you. Richard and I made great progress on the bike this weekend, please see attached photos for your entertainment, from boxes that were going to be shipped to Columbia to a Monster (that needs the wiring finished - so please ignore the messy wires everywhere)

Can anyone please advise where the pictured hose is supposed to be positioned (should it be connected to something or is it a drain)? Its about 18mm and has a strange rubber loop at the end.

Also, The wiring harness has coloured cables to help identify, but the components like the indicators and switches etc that connect into it seem to have no identifying colours on the wires into them. Does it matter which cable goes into which (ie are components like the indicators reversible)?

Thanks for all your help in advance, and I look forward to riding the bike to a meet up soon.

Last edited by Hamish; 21-01-2020 at 06:27 AM..
Old 21-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #43
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Unfortunately you can't post pictures directly on here. You need to post pictures to a hosting site and link to them on here. PostImage or Photobucket or similar

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #44
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Old 21-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #45
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

The hose with the loop looks like a breather hose and could connect either to the crankcase breather catch tank or the air cleaner box.. Others will confirm.

If there are only two wires going into a switch or bulb holder, then unless it is an LED (read diode, polarity sensitive) it doesn't matter which way round they go.
With the indicators it looks like white/green and black to the right and white/black and black to the left.
That would seem to indicate (see what I did there?) that black is the earth.

There should be a downloadable wiring diagram somewhere.. Anyone know where to find it?

Tags
full rebuild.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: