UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Evo fork oil

Old 20-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #16
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Glad to help, Ryan.

If you're thinking of switching to Metzelers, I can thoroughly recommend these, which I've been running for the last 12 months or so.

They seem to warm up much quicker than the Pirellis and feel a lot more confidence-inspiring in less than ideal conditions, such as on cold roads. Very neutral feeling with more than enough grip for my purposes.

Of, course, Metzeler and Pirelli are both part of the same group and I believe the rubber compounds used in both tyres are the same. It's just the construction and tread pattern that differ.

And, for what it's worth, the Marzocchi service manual recommends 425cc of 7.5w oil with an air gap of 110mm.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #17
Rrawlings

I'm going to try the M9RR that have recently replaced the M7RR that I have used on my Daytona previously and where the best tyres I've used. Although my dad is putting Roadtec 01's on the 2013 Speed Triple he has on Friday so may have to have a go on that and see what they perform like. I just need to replace the PR4's as I'm really not a fan of the lack of feel on what is going on they give
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
This is the thread i did on the K-Tech conversion.

The springs are 8.5nm, and used 5 weight factory motul oil.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ghlight=k-tech

Last edited by chris.p; 20-02-2020 at 08:05 PM..
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #19
Rrawlings

Vince do the roadtec 01's give any feeling as to what the front is doing? That is my complaint with the PR4's that are on there now they are just a round black thing with no hint of any guidance as to what is going on and the turn in is sluggish.

Chris your front end mods do seem intriguing I am considering the Andreani Cartridge set if the oil change has done little to change things. It would work out a little cheaper to do than the k-tech setup but as we all know cheaper is not always best but would give me more scope towards a shock change financially. Does anyone have any experience with the Andreani stuff? I know they are owned by the same group as Ohlins and reviews are good on things like MT-09's
Old 02-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #20
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
Vince do the roadtec 01's give any feeling as to what the front is doing?
I had the exact same problem with the Pirellis as you, Ryan. I didn't get much feedback from the front. I'm sure the grip was there but it was sometimes a bit of a leap of faith tipping it into a corner, especially if conditions were less than ideal. I ran the Pirellis at 33 and 36 rather than the 36/42 in the handbook. That improved matters a little but they were still far from perfect. That's why I decided to try something different and, with universally good reviews, I went for the Metzelers.

I fitted them last year and straight away they inspired more confidence than the Pirellis. I think the Metzelers have a less stiff construction than the Pirellis and I'm sure the ride is also slightly smoother as a result (I'm running these at 32/35).

I actually ventured out today for the first time since late October. It was less than 10° today and tarmac temperature probably half that and this was the first time I'd ridden on the Metzelers in cold conditions. Despite not having ridden the Monster for four months, the front end felt perfect - really planted and neutral tipping in to corners.

In similar cool conditions, I never really trusted the front Pirelli, which never seemed to warm up fully and always felt somewhat 'wooden'.

So, I'm really happy with the Metzelers and would certainly fit them again. I think they're going to last longer than the Pirellis too, so I shouldn't actually have to worry about that for some time!

Try your dad's Speed Triple and see how they feel to you. (By the way, what tyres were on your dad's bike before the Metzelers?)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #21
Rrawlings

I doubt that we will get weather worth taking it off him in Yorkshire anytime soon but if I can it'd be interesting to try them. It was on Bridgestone S20's he didn't mind them but took a while to warm and weren't great for miles to a back tyre hence trying the roadtec after reading reviews. The other reason he got them was £30 off at biketyresleeds who currently have the same deal but now with m9rr metzelers, pirelli rosso 3 and corsa 2 i believe if anyone is interested.

I've tried reducing pressure but it seems to make things worse with a really sluggish turn in if I go lower. Really they are the only negative thing about my evo really.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #22
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
[QUOTE=Rrawlings;573153

Chris your front end mods do seem intriguing I am considering the Andreani Cartridge set if the oil change has done little to change things. It would work out a little cheaper to do than the k-tech setup but as we all know cheaper is not always best but would give me more scope towards a shock change financially. Does anyone have any experience with the Andreani stuff? I know they are owned by the same group as Ohlins and reviews are good on things like MT-09's[/QUOTE]

All other companies seem to do complete cartridge change, K-Tech don't, they alter the existing unit by opening it and changing the piston kit for a full o0n top unit and change the useless compression adjusters, believe me there is nothing wrong with the conversion, also it was actually done by Chris the boss, so I know it is damn good, as an ex club racer, believe me when I say it completely changes the bikes front end handling for the better.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #23
Luddite

I've just found out that the Roadtecs I fitted last year have just been superseded by an improved version, the Roadtec 01 SE.

The new version comes out at the end of this month and what this means is that you'll probably find the old Roadtecs discounted to shift stock so you may be able to pick up a bargain if you can wait a couple of weeks. (There's also a new M9 RR out too, so look out for deals on the old version there as well.)
Old 06-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #24
Rrawlings

Well the M9Rr Metzeler’s were fitted today. Wheels are back on but need to get the front brakes back together and see if I can rid myself of the sponge. Tried a mittyvac and didn’t get on with it so going to try the giant bladder syringe method of forcing it back up to the reservoir. If not it might be tank off and crack the banjo at the abs to see if that gets things going in the right direction.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #25
Luddite

Looking forward to hearing your views on the Metzelers, Ryan.

Sorry the Mityvac didn't work out for you. Did you first seal the bleed nipple threads with PTFE tape? Without that, the pump draws air in past the threads and you lose the vacuum.

Don't forget to push the pistons fully back into the calipers before you start (to purge the ABS pump). I don't think you should need to disturb the ABS unit itself because, unlike the rear brake, the highest point in the front braking circuit is the master cylinder so any air in the system should rise to that point. Have you tried bleeding at the master cylinder nipple yet?

Keep persevering (both my front and rear brakes are super firm now) and good luck!
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #26
Rrawlings

Tried the master but still vague. I didn’t really want to go down the ptfe route as didn’t want dot4 everywhere. I will try again but the pistons were back when I did it just didn’t feel like it should. Might just bite the bullet with ptfe. Not sure when I will get chance to do it but really want to finish the bike and try the tyres. I will give an update when I have done more but have high hopes for the m9 being superb as the reviews I’ve seen are glowing and the m7 was fantastic
Old 06-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #27
Luddite

I would definitely recommend taping up the nipples, Ryan. It's not too messy if you take a few precautions.

Remove the pads (to avoid any risk of contamination) and then remove the calipers. Hold the caliper over something to catch any drips.

Before you push the pistons back, use the MityVac to suck out most of the fluid from the reservoir, otherwise there's a danger of fluid spilling out of the reservoir.

Before you remove the nipple, have a pre-taped M6 screw handy to plug the hole. (If you don't have any in your spares box, just pinch one from the bike - the reservoir handlebar clamp screws are M6). Spin the nipple out and quickly replace it with the M6 screw - just two or three turns by hand should be enough to seal it. You shouldn't lose more than a few drops of fluid if you're quick.

When you tape the thread, don't forget to wind it round clockwise so it doesn't come undone when you screw the nipple back in. If any fluid has leaked on the caliper, clean it if straight away to avoid any staining.

I pumped the MityVac up to -50 kpa before cracking open the nipple. It worked so well, I had to keep a really close eye on the reservoir because the fluid was being drawn through so quickly.

Hope it works for you too.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #28
Rrawlings

Vince thanks I’ll give it a go. You always have the best advice so I’ll trust you.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #29
Luddite

You flatter me! All I can say is it worked for me.
Old 14-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #30
Rrawlings

Well finally got out for a ride and I can confirm that a change of fork oil is worth doing and the m9rr metzeler tyres are fabulous. Only managed half an hour before the rain came and I got drenched but spent a nice steady few miles bedding in new Brembo pads and the tyres but an utter revelation. Can’t wait to go for a proper ride out it tips in like a dream and performs how it should. Fingers crossed corona disappears enough for the tt to go ahead as I can’t wait to get the evo on the roads over there now