UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Bleeding brakes!

Old 02-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
Thinks for update Vince. Finally made a start on my Evo today. Collecting the mityvac tomorrow so will follow your work. I’ll put a post on my fork oil swap and any other stuff that I think will help others
Hope you are as (apparently!) successful as I was, Ryan. I'm fairly confident that the rear brake is now completely free from air, as it's showing no sign of sponginess after being stood for a week. We'll see whether exhaust heat affects it once I'm back on the road.

Good luck!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
Doggy

Bike: M796
I must admit my 796 rear brake is probably the strongest rear brake I've ever had on a bike. I've not bled it or anything since owning the bike.
Both my previous MV's had shocking rear brakes from new and could barely hold the bike on a hill. They were bled ever year and always ended up being virtually useless. Strange.
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #18
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
I must admit my 796 rear brake is probably the strongest rear brake I've ever had on a bike.
Long may it continue!

Is yours ABS or non-ABS, Doggy? That might make a difference. The non-ABS model has a different, (and much shorter), hose routeing, which keeps it clear of both engine and exhaust heat. And, of course, there's no ABS unit in which to trap air or to complicate bleeding.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #19
Rrawlings

Don’t think I’ve touched my back brake other than hill starts since my master cylinder issues
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #20
Doggy

Bike: M796
Non ABS for me. A lot of the bleeding problems on mv number two were to do with the abs unit, so that makes sense.
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #21
The Clockie

Thanks Luddite,

Being impatient I've already ordered the very same version from an ebay seller who is undercutting the current price of your seller. The metal version of the pump looked very nice but it seemed silly to spend extra money on something I won't use that often, and only for brake/clutch bleeding. Then again, maybe I'll treat all the bikes to a quick fluid change!

Nick
Old 03-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #22
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
I must admit my 796 rear brake is probably the strongest rear brake I've ever had on a bike. I've not bled it or anything since owning the bike.
Both my previous MV's had shocking rear brakes from new and could barely hold the bike on a hill. They were bled ever year and always ended up being virtually useless. Strange.
My 1200s is the same, rear brake is very good. Not been touched since new.
Old 25-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #23
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Of course, the real test will be how long will this last?

Hopefully, by pushing the pistons back, raising the caliper, filling with DOT 5.1 and using the vacuum bleeder, I'll end up with a more permanent solution.

I shall report back in due course.
It's been over a year since I bled the rear brakes on the Evo so I thought it was about time I posted an update.

Well, all through last year, it worked perfectly although, admittedly, the bike didn't get used much so perhaps they weren't exposed to as much heat as other years. But, even after being laid up over winter for four months, (which is when, historically, the sponginess tended to reappear), I am happy to report that the pedal is still as firm as the day I bled them.

I think removing and raising the caliper above the ABS unit was probably the key element in this exercise. So, if your rear brake is soft after winter, try the above tips and you should notice an improvement.
Old 25-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #24
Evostu

Here’s food for thought,put the evo away last October,back brake fine,took it for a tootle couple of weeks back ,no back brake,sounds like the brake fairies have been messing over winter
Evostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 08:51 PM   #25
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
Here’s food for thought,put the evo away last October,back brake fine,took it for a tootle couple of weeks back ,no back brake,sounds like the brake fairies have been messing over winter
That sounds like mine this time last year, Stu. I think you need a bleeding session this weekend. Take the caliper off and get it higher than the ABS pump and push the pistons right back into the caliper and you should be ok.
Old 28-10-2022, 09:31 AM   #26
Ron1000

Thanks for the replies guy’s and nice to get a wee thread going. Guess everyone is keen on having good brakes

So if anybody is going to buy a mityvac, the mv8500 (comes with a case a some extra accessories is on ebay reduced to £63 from £87. Pretty good deal i reckon.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #27
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bleeding awful……!

You could set yourself up as a Central Scotland bleeding contractor, James, recoup your Mityvac outlay in no time !
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #28
Ron1000

too much pressure for me lololol
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote