UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Fixed Value insurance question

Old 16-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Fixed Value insurance question

Ok so in case of my bike it is worth much more then book value due to mods and work that went in to it.

If I have a theft at the moment insurance company will only pay book value for it with no extras and stuff. Even minus extras just paint-job and new engine it is worth more then book value. In case of accident, with fully comp that I have, they will only replace to stock parts where I see a huge possible problem. If I need a new front calliper I do not have stock so will they replace two callipers to stock or brake reservoir or braided hoses and list goes on and on.

Only way I can think to go around it is fixed value insurance, how does that work? How does one go about doing that? I am not looking at full value but a bit more over book value, about 3k - 3.5k rather then 1.2 - 1.8k

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
J_Dub

Hope you told the insurance company about the mods. If you haven't, you may end up with nothing not even the book value in the event of a claim.
Old 16-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
jimbo696

Even thought the insurers wont cover the extras you do need to tell them as the previous post said; otherwise they can void any claim that you have.
I thought agreed value normally applied to 'classic' bikes?? Not sure I have heard of 'fixed value'??
Old 16-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dub View Post
Hope you told the insurance company about the mods. If you haven't, you may end up with nothing not even the book value in the event of a claim.
They know about everything mate all of it. That is the problem as they were the only insurance company that wanted to speak to me leat alone insure me. With mods I have usually first one made them disconnect

They just do not like bog bore high comp pistons setups at all

"I am Lucazade"
Old 16-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
slob

If you can find someone who will sell you a fixed value policy, you'll need an engineer's report that basically agrees said value. Anything that gives a significant performance increase over standard is likely to cause insurers to walk away,
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Qba

Sorry for being a dummy but should I then let my insurer know about changed exhaust system? It does affect bikes' performance but only slightly because of its smaller weight, and it's obviously not standard any more as it should be according to the policy.
Old 16-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Qba

And 14 teeth sprocket...
Old 16-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Yes and yes

Any undeclared modifications however insignificant would make your insurance null and void in the event of a claim. I'll always mention additional mods when renewing my policy, and make sure anything critical is stated in writing. Cosmetic changes aren't deemed as important as performance enhancing ones, but everthing should be declared.

The trike was a special case being heavily modified to start with. I had to submit photographs, a written description and valuation before I could get insurance. It's now insured at an agreed value of £8000, which is roughly what it would cost me to rebuild it from scratch.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 16-08-2010 at 12:33 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Qba

Thanks Garry and sorry for hijacking Lukasz.
Old 16-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
cairojay

exhaust mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qba View Post
Sorry for being a dummy but should I then let my insurer know about changed exhaust system? It does affect bikes' performance but only slightly because of its smaller weight, and it's obviously not standard any more as it should be according to the policy.
My insurance company (Equity Red Star) said it didn't matter as they would only return the bike to its original spec in the event of a claim: any mods would be disregarded, therefore wouldn't affect the policy. This to me seems like a very intelligent approach from an insurance company!

I'd still check though!
Old 16-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
jimbo696

What about significant performance mods though?
Old 17-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
cairojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo696 View Post
I'm not sure what constitutes significant performance mods, I spoke with a race garage the other day and they said most mods are a waste of money if you're looking for increased performance, for sure you can improve throttle response, maybe increase total power output a bit with some remapping but he said most of it is marketing nonsense. You only have to look at the time differences between factory spec WSB bikes and standard to see that the difference is marginal.
Anyhoo, I'm a total mechanical novice so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I did have full termi race system fitted to my bike and to me it felt faster but maybe its just psychological!

In a nutshell, I have no idea!

Sure to open a can of worms with this one!
Old 17-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo696 View Post
Significant mods are those that increase performance over 5% as per insurance company.
They have for example exhaust mods that increase from 0% to 5% and then from 5% onwards.

cairojay in regards of all mods being not worth it. In a way yes you could always get a faster other bike. If you want the same bike but faster you have no choice and marginal performance is understatement. My bike came out of factory with about 70 bhp, with mods (some expensive) you can get it close to 100bhp that is a big increase and at the same time you will also loose weight.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 17-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
Kato
Dismantled

Lukaz your selling the bike short there mate your bike is the same model as mine and I'm getting over the 100 bhp but your right it was expensive..

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Lukaz your selling the bike short there mate your bike is the same model as mine and I'm getting over the 100 bhp but your right it was expensive..
I know at the moment I should have about 90bhp with stock carbs. I now need to finish a bit of looks again (front light and dash/camera bikeeye), then brakes, rims and then FCR's

BTW I have tit con rods waiting for next engine strip any idea what else I could replace with lighter items, crank is for one I would think.

BTW MY idea of dash:

Tachometer with ambient temp and I think oil temp reading:
http://kosoeurope.com/shop/product_i...c05805f62953a5
or simple:

Speedo:

"I am Lucazade"

Last edited by Saint aka ML; 17-08-2010 at 09:46 PM..