UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 1100 Evo mods - an addicts tale

Old 09-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #151
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Back in 2010

I was going to paint them over in part, but now I've seen them on I may not as the decals were obviously an extra as they are laquered over.
I just think I need some blacked or titanium screws as the stainless domed look a bit bright.

Very happy with the result and a relatively cheap way to go dark. Yes really !! Paint is dear.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #152
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post

That looked fantastic, Albie - very 'stealth'!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #153
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
It looks the “dawg’s danglies “ Vince.....
Thanks, C. Have you tried out your new suspension yet? I've been waiting for the thread...
Old 09-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #154
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
That looked fantastic, Albie - very 'stealth'!
I'm cured now of carbonitus.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #155
Luddite

Quote:
I'm cured now of carbonitus.
You must share the secret, Albie. Do you need two vaccinations or three??
Old 09-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #156
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
You must share the secret, Albie. Do you need two vaccinations or three??
Just bought a scrambler instead lol. It has lots of aluminium parts instead. Mind you could try counselling.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #157
Luddite

Quote:
Just bought a scrambler instead lol. It has lots of aluminium parts instead. Mind you could try counselling.

Old 19-05-2023, 08:37 PM   #158
Luddite

Well, it's been over a year but, yes, the Evo is still going strong! I thought it was about time that I treated it to some more goodies and a new chain was on the shopping list. Now, a new chain means new sprockets and that throws up the question of gearing.

From earlier posts, you may remember that I did what many other Evo owners have done in an effort to improve low speed running, I lowered the gearing.

I went down the cheap and cheerful route by just fitting a 14 tooth front sprocket - quick, easy and no need to fit a longer chain.

However, I had said that, when the time came to replace the chain, I would go back to the standard front sprocket (15t) and fit a larger 42 tooth rear (standard is 39t). This requires a longer chain at 106 links, rather than the standard 104, but this set up should, in theory, give both chain and sprockets an easier time. So that's what I did.

But why fit a boring standard style sprocket when there are natty CNC quick change versions on offer?

I've swapped the gold DID chain for a neat black and silver one and chosen an AEM Factory sprocket kit, which allows you to change the rear sprocket independently of the carrier. Saves about a kilo of weight too. The sprocket is hard anodised aluminium. I'd have preferred steel but we'll see how it wears...

No real problems in fitting; the gearbox sprocket at 186Nm whizzed straight off with my cordless impact wrench but the larger rear sprocket nut at a lower 156Nm wouldn't budge and needed a three foot long breaker bar before it would move

I'm pleased with the look but, as I haven't ridden it yet, can't comment on any change in the riding experience.

There have been some arguments that the smaller 14t front sprocket brings the chain too close to the swinging arm and can wear it away. However, I checked the plastic protector at the gearbox end and, although there is evidence of some rubbing, it is quite minor considering the smaller sprocket has been on there for over 10,000 miles. So, if you're currently running a 14t sprocket, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Last edited by Luddite; 19-05-2023 at 08:39 PM..
Old 20-05-2023, 01:22 PM   #159
crawsue
Bronze Member

Woof !

Did someone mention Dawg’s Danglies ? Looks like your aversion treatment is wearing off Vince…..
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 09:26 PM   #160
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

That looks very classy indeed Vince. I like the black chain especially!
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 09:52 PM   #161
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Cool look !

The chain looks tight.... or is it just an optical illusion? How much slack do you use?
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 12:03 AM   #162
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Did someone mention Dawg’s Danglies ? Looks like your aversion treatment is wearing off Vince…..
I know, Crawford - and there may be more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
That looks very classy indeed Vince. I like the black chain especially!
Yes, I think gold is sooo last year, dahling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
Cool look !

The chain looks tight.... or is it just an optical illusion? How much slack do you use?
It must be an optical illusion as it's actually too loose at the moment since I haven't yet tensioned it.
Old 21-05-2023, 07:46 AM   #163
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm glad you're happy with your hipster black, but I'll stick with Silver for my sprokit and Gold for my chain. As you know I already have Gold nuts.
I'm happy being un-hip, I take the windswept and interesting route..

Last time I bought a Renthal rear they were bronzy by defualt so I sprayed it Silver. Never had a problem with ally rear sprokits, but I did destroy a set at the last weekender. Several hundred sodden wet miles through mud, grit and sheep dip saw to that.

I'm running Ognibene now, which are steel and have hard rubber cushions for the chain which is supposed to make it quieter? Not sure about that, but 5000 miles down the line they still seem good apart from the tsunami of thick black chain grease hanging from the front sprocket cover. I could be accused of over doing the lube after the Yorkshire/Cumbria episode, but I do ride it through the winter.
Old 21-05-2023, 08:45 AM   #164
Dukedesmo

I have a Renthal Alloy sprocket on the rear of my 916 and it lasts really well.

Yet when I tried the same on the Monster, it munched it up in a couple of thousand miles. The same with tyres; I fitted the same type of sports tyre to the Monster and within 1,000 miles it was done, through to the cords in the middle yet, on the 916 it'll go 3,000 miles.

Not quite sure why the difference as the 916 has 30hp more and is heavier yet it consumes less consumables?

Can only put it down to power delivery, with the Monster making it's power lower down the range and being more 'agricultural', maybe that's why the Monster's gearbox broke despite having less miles on it than the 916? (they use the same gearbox).

Currently running a 'Supersprox' hybrid rear sprocket on it - this is an alloy center/carrier with a steel tooth ring so is lighter than an all steel yet steel where it counts and it's holding up well.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 10:07 AM   #165
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Quote:
It must be an optical illusion as it's actually too loose at the moment since I haven't yet tensioned it.
How much slack do you use?
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote