UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 696 batteries - do older & newer 696s need the same type

Old 17-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
696 batteries - do older & newer 696s need the same type

I have a feeling the battery in Secundus (my 2013 low mileage 696) is on the way out. It's almost certainly the original one fitted when the bike was new. While the bike will start, it has taken to forgetting the time and trip counter reading each time I switch it on.

Searching the internet this evening, some of the aftermarket battery vendors distinguish between newer and older 696s.
For example
Ducatimondo claim the Dynavolt battery is suitable for the Ducati Monster 696 09-10 (but don't claim it is suitable for newer 696s) https://www.ducatimondo.co.uk/store/...html?mode=list
Wemoto list a Motobatt sealed high torque battery when you search for batteries for a 2009 696 but not for a 2013 one https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/ducati/monster_696/09, no batteries at all (just a charger) for 2013 696s, and a selection of 3 batteries for a 2012 696 https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/ducati/monster_696/12

Does anyone know if there is any difference between older and newer 696s in terms of their battery requirements, or is it just lazy web vendors failing to list the batteries for all years' 696s?

I'm not interested in super light super temperamental race style batteries. I need reliable year round starting for my commute. I'm trying to keep Secundus looking clean & shiny so it won't be ridden every day through winter, but it needs to be available as my back up bike in case Primus (the 72,500 mile 2009 696) is off the road for any reason.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
stopintime

Bike: S2r
I'm guessing lazy vendors, but I'm at the same time inviting you to check for yourself to make sure you have reliable info. Lazy vendor + lazy owner = wrong battery. Cool?

Download parts catalog from Ducati and check part numbers through the years. Ducati.com -> menu symbol -> Dealers and services -> Spare parts
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Well you could check if the battery is the same on both of your 696's. As long as it is the same size and Ah rated and the terminals are the same then it should be ok. You could even try swapping them over. I guess they are a pain to get to on those bikes and its not a 2 minute job, like the older ones.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
slob

I’m guessing identical, I’d call Craig at MR, he’ll know
slob is offline   Reply With Quote