UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello from Wilts - I've been Monstered!

Old 19-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Allstar

Hello from Wilts - I've been Monstered!

Hi all,

Just popping in to say hello After an early morning sorte into Bristol this morning, I took delivery of a lovely red 797+. This is my first Ducati having had my previous Italian mistress - a Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic - for the past 4 & half years. The V7 was a good bike for what it was but the Monster feels, in comparison, like Buck Rogers arriving in the 25th Century!

Think I'll be out on it again this evening once it cools down a bit, and a fair bit more in future

The old meets the new.

Cheers all!
Old 19-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome to the UKMOC. I'm not far from you, over in Devizes, look out for a black 1200R and keep an eye on the Wiltshire events section. Brekkie meet this coming Sunday

Ped
Old 19-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Allstar

Thanks Pedro! I'm often zipping in/around Devizes so will indeed keep eyes peeled for you. Catch you soon
Old 19-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
boris
More Tools!

Welcome to the Jungle, I have fond memories of your world from two tours at RAF Lyneham back in the 80's. So miss the traditional English pubs from down there..
Old 19-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
itguy

V nice - you'll have to tell me how you get on.

I get my 797+ on Saturday, in white
Old 19-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Hi from Warminster.
Look out for a red 696 if you're over this way!
Nice ride across The Plain to The Haven if you can make it on Sunday.
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
SteveG

Welcome! Hope to see you at the Hants/Wilts brekkie if you can make it.
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
bazread

I'm in Hilperton as well (actually Trowbridge now ) on Paxcroft Mead, give me a shout if you want to go for a quick ride out.

Cheers, Baz.
Old 19-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Welcome. I thought you'd made a typo there, then I remembered the new baby monster is the air cooled 797! A bike which Ducati originally said they weren't going to make, no more air-cooled monsters and the 821 being the entry level bike. As if! Enjoy

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
Congrats on the new ride.
Would be interesting to hear pro's and cons of the V7. Been fancying one for a while.
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
Allstar

Thanks all for the welcome - nice to see it's friendly in here!

Baz - I'm also in that neck of woods.. I sometimes hear what sounds like a big Duc rumbling along but haven't seen you/it yet. But yes, a ride out would be good.

Itguy - nice one! It was really hard when choosing what colour to get but in the end it just came down to I'd had a white bike before so choose red for a change. The white/red frame & wheels certainly stands out nicely

Sunday brekkie run sounds like a good idea so hopefully I'll make that.

I'm getting some miles in this week just to get a hang of the little Monster. I'm finding I can lean a lot more through the bends than the V7 could - I just need to trust myself to do it! Anyway, all in good time & in the right place

And yes, lots of great pubs about - cheers!
Old 19-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I notice how you politely avoided any direct comparisons with the Monster vs the V7 Guzzi, a bike which has (had) the same intentions as the Monster but from a decade or 2 before, intentionally retro as it were.

The Le Mans was no doubt good back in the day and if you want to relive that then there is no better bike than the V7. The Guzzi has regressed in order to keep its charm and will no doubt delight those who want to relive memories of riding their Le Mans but with modern tech like efi to replace carbs that don't want to work very well and dodgy electric etc but the Monster has progressed far beyond those memories of late 70's early bevel 900's, and thank god indeed.

Now we just need Laverda to relaunch a big capacity 1000/1200 triple with the original heavy duty charm but a more modern outlook and handling. I don't think that is likely though.

Old 19-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
Allstar

Actually, I had typed a long reply but it logged me out when I submitted it to post

But yes, what you've written above is quite true. I would also add the V7 is quite a small bike so not really suited to those long of limb/stature. My only real gripe would be the single front disc (rear brake is good though). I did enjoy mine a lot though and would definitely recommend one for those that fit it/don't require nuclear power thrust.
Old 19-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

That happens to me too from time to time, its' so annoying. I sometimes wish I had written my message in notepad and pasted it in.

Yeah I know what you're saying, all Guzzis seem small to me except the V11 Sports which secretly I always coveted. Still I think the Ducati 748/916's and Monsters of the same era walk all over them in terms of both style and handling and I'm happy to report that I own one of each and neither disappoint.

Poor reliability is a myth really considering how mechanically complex they are and considering their age (of mine) they stand up well against most other bikes but only if they've been really looked after.

A lot of us on here are running 15-20 year old bikes so you expect the odd problem or two. There are a few problems but most are well documented by now anyway and the newer bikes have improved reliability and increased service intervals equivalent to most Jap bikes.

Old 22-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
Allstar

Thumbs up

Only 100 miles in, but by eck, I'm lovin' it already!

So light and flickable yet planted. And great visibility whilst riding - I don't think I'd go back to dropped bars now.

The next 500 miles before its first service won't be a chore