UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Euro Trip 2018

Old 21-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Euro Trip 2018

So it's been two weeks since getting back from this year's little four day Euro trip and aside from a bit of a stomach bug causing the last couple of days to be sponsored by Imodium it was another great few days away on the Monster.

So it was a nice early start leaving LA for Folkstone meaning the quiet roads got us there without any hold ups of the horrible M23/M25/M20 journey there.
Smooth boarding saw us in Calais thirty five minutes later and once through the terminal on our way down on the nice roads of the France Belgium boarder and through the French national Parks before cutting across into Belgium properly and to our stop of Poix St. Hubert.

Maybe Banksy visited here sometime too?

Last edited by Flip; 21-07-2018 at 01:53 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Flip

After being fed and watered the next day was spent riding around the beautiful Ardennes area in a circular route taking in the history and sacrifice of Bastogne.

Where evidence of some sort is in almost every town and village on the way:

Anyone who watched 'Band of Brothers' will know the significance:

Then it was onto another town made famous for a completely different reason.
Eau Rouge has changed a lot since I was there last for the F1 GP back in '89

Entertained during a well earned rest in the heat by the whine of VW gearboxes out of La Source and free entry to boot making it all the better.
Old 21-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Flip

Day three saw another warm day on our route up the Bruges for our last night away, the hotel was really nice with garaged secure parking for bikes and cars.

I have to say having never been there before, what a lovely city and certainly somewhere I would like to revisit with my family.

After having dinner in the square a wander around and hearing music lead to this which only seems to happen in Europe- possibly the best Linkin Park and Papa Roach cover band I have ever seen:

Then another short walk after watching them and picturesque normality is restored:
Old 21-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Moco1961

Great trip

Looks like a fantastic jaunt flip, how many miles in total?
Old 21-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Flip

After another look around getting some fresh air it was time for the short hop back to Calais and then onward home, all in all 917 miles in the four days so not too bad.

The Dinosaurs show our to's and form's for each leg of the trip:

Anyone who keeps thinking they'll 'do it next year' don't put it off- the roads (especially French ones) are great, they love motorcycles and a Monster is a great bike for (solo) touring on.

Already thinking of where to go next year
Old 21-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
Wasta

I love a euro trip. Off to the black forest in a ciuple of weeks, and a revisit to Bruges.
Last trip we stayed in Bastogne and enjoyed the museum.

This trip is on a Tuono v4.
Old 22-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Looks like a fantastic jaunt flip, how many miles in total?
917 miles in total this year over the four days.

This was the first year we have ever stayed in one place for more than one night so a little less than previous years totals.

Last year we rode to Charleville-Mezieres in France, then onto Heidelburg in Germany before the last night in Chimay in Belgium which made a total of just under 1200 miles which to be honest was stretching it a bit to allow us any time to look around the towns before having to set off again.
Old 22-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
BobT

If anyone wants to visit the south of France then the wife and I are in the Dordogne to help out. We have no business and want no money for anything. We help visiting bikers find campsites hotels etc. We offer to guide people around local places and have a number of favourite routes, twisty roads, historic villages or places to eat.
I ride a Supersport and the wife a Monster, we are on intercom so can conduct a ride out without losing anyone.
If anyone just wants information on anything about this area then feel free to ask, we have been here for 14 years now.
More information is on the wifes facebook page www.facebook.com/dordognebikers/
Old 22-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Flip

Almost forgot to mention it went that well, but my twenty one year old, 30,000 mile 900 Monster behaved faultlessly the whole time. Starting first time every press of the button and not getting flustered once in the heat wave whether filtering through the traffic around Calais or out on the open roads of the Ardennes.

A little road side rest- the little Monkey was hidden in a pannier by my five year old daughter (it was the first present I bought her back from one of my trips).

Old 23-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Christy

Seeing bikes loaded up always makes me start planning for the next trip. The bike looks great and a good set up. Fab posting
Old 23-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Wasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
If anyone wants to visit the south of France then the wife and I are in the Dordogne to help out. We have no business and want no money for anything. We help visiting bikers find campsites hotels etc. We offer to guide people around local places and have a number of favourite routes, twisty roads, historic villages or places to eat.
I ride a Supersport and the wife a Monster, we are on intercom so can conduct a ride out without losing anyo
If anyone just wants information on anything about this area then feel free to ask, we have been here for 14 years now.
More information is on the wifes facebook page www.facebook.com/dordognebikers/
Thats a really nice offer, thanks.

I stayed in the area when we had the last heatwave. We were based in Martel. Fantastic region.
Old 29-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
Miky

Great pic's Flip.
Something for the calendar next year hopefully.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
Kazza

Brilliant Flip - pictures look great. We love the French and Belgian Ardennes - the roads are amazing. Now hooked on The Black Forest after our trip in July (me on the Monster and Neil on Hyperstrada). We did 2,160 miles in total and are now looking forward to riding to Northern Spain in October :-). Wish we had done this years ago!