UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » I am Desperately in need of help/advice

Old 12-06-2023, 11:37 AM   #1
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I am Desperately in need of help/advice

How the F**K do I get the wheel nut off my M1200s? I did it a few years ago after some struggling and did it up as tight as I could but it was below what Ducati recommend.
But now I have a puncture and cannot remove the wheel nut, I have sloshed it down with penetrating oil, I have used a 350nm air gun on it and I have used a 5' breaker bar on it and the bugger wont budge. I have tried a truck tyre centre but they wont even try, they recon their air tools will just strip the threads. My local dealer isn't much help beyond telling me it's on very tight.
Does anyone here know what I can try next, the suns out and the roads are dry so I want to make the most of it.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:41 PM   #2
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I feel your pain, firstly, don't panic, plusgas penetrating oil is your friend,, give it a good soaking, also you didn't say what size drive the socket is, if it's only 1/2" drive try a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar, you can get much more force through a bigger drive, also get someone (preferably large) to sit on the bike holding the rear brake on while you exert as much force as possible to undo the nut, try a longer pipe/bar, I have worked in heavy engineering all my life and have had to resort to proper abuse to remove some nuts, putting pipes on 3/4 ratchets and bars in the pipes coz they weren't long enough, last resort, grind it off / hammer & chisel it off, carefully so as not to damage the male thread on the axle.
Good luck, hope this helps, keep us informed
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:50 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Is the problem that the rear wheel turns before you can loosen the nut? If so, try locking the wheel with a sturdy length of wood between the spokes and the swinging arm. (My paddock stand comes with a rubber covered metal bar to do just that.)

Otherwise try the longest breaker bar you can find. I had a similar problem with my sprocket nut last month. I just couldn't shift it even though it was tightened to a lower torque than the wheel nut. I eventually shifted it with a three foot length of scaffold pole.

When you replace it, ensure you use moly grease on the threads and underside of the nut.

Good luck!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Moco1961

Wheely tight

I have a similar issue with my car, sheared a 17 mm socket over the weekend,bent a bar ,even borrowed an impact driver. Next for me is apply some heat to see if the differential in expansion rates of metals does the trick….good luck!
Old 12-06-2023, 06:15 PM   #5
Ron1000

I took mine off my evo just recently. I found the best way is a long (mines is 1100mm) breaker bar and I found 3/4” breaker bars have zero bend so transfer all the force.

I got a mate to sit on it so it had weight and both brakes on. It came off relatively easily. I also use insulation tape over the nut and tap the socket on so it’s nice and tight to reduce the chance of slippage.

My impact gun rated to 400Nm wouldn’t budge it and my mates 800Nm rated mac tools gun wouldn’t touch it either.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:17 PM   #6
adie851

You need a mate with a gas welding set....assuming it's the rear wheel nut....warm it up around the nut and a big long bar attached to the socket and then it'll come off ...might need a new wheel nut though once its off......I've had that problem with single sided swingarm bikes in the past..usually they've been overtightened.....Good luck
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:54 PM   #7
Mark64
Bronze Member

Heat works really well due the different expansion rates of metals, and if you are using a gas axe - it can't be tight if it's liquid ;-)
Old 13-06-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
Stinger101

My local tyre centre use their regular battery Milwaukee tools to undo mine. I have to take my own 55mm socket in and it's always come undone on first blast. I bought a cheap 420nm lithium rattle gun for £50 and it won't budge it from it's 220nm torque setting. The cheap item does undo all the car wheels & other nuts it happens so not a total waste of pennies. :-)
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 07:28 PM   #9
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

I have an 1100 Evo and use a Clarke mains impact wrench which works fine.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...impact-wrench/

I also have an air impact wrench and compressor which I found wouldn’t shift the wheel nut, hence the Clarke.

It’s a pity I am so far away in East Yorkshire otherwise I could have popped round with it!

Last edited by bigredduke; 13-06-2023 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Add
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 08:41 PM   #10
rollo22

As Bigredduke says can’t fault the Clarke main gun takes my hub nut off in seconds.
As Luddite says make sure you clean and re grease all the bits before refitting, I put a smear on every mating face.
Old 16-06-2023, 08:33 AM   #11
mickj

Sorted, I bought a 3/4 drive 3' 3" breaker bar, but still had to use my 5' tube over it and it came off, I was expecting to come off with a loud crack but it just rolled off. I had been dousing it in penetrating oil for the last four days though. Replaced the tyre and had it back on the bike in under an hour but I used a bit of grease before doing it up which I was able to do by myself with virtually no effort, 230nm.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 16-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #12
Mark64
Bronze Member

That's great news, it's amazing how much more force you can get through a 3/4 drive, proper MAN size, and always good to have in your tool armoury.
Old 16-06-2023, 01:40 PM   #13
dunf

i changed my rear tyre the other day and also had similar issues. My 400nm 1/2" battery gun wouldn't budge it. Tried my mates 600nm battery no joy. Then stuck my Snap On 1/2" air gun on it with line attached direct to the compressor outlet and it came off immediately.
The nut was an anodised aluminium one. It now looks knackered with all the battery impact attempts so I put the original one back on after.
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 09:43 PM   #14
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunf View Post
i changed my rear tyre the other day and also had similar issues. My 400nm 1/2" battery gun wouldn't budge it. Tried my mates 600nm battery no joy. Then stuck my Snap On 1/2" air gun on it with line attached direct to the compressor outlet and it came off immediately.
The nut was an anodised aluminium one. It now looks knackered with all the battery impact attempts so I put the original one back on after.
I use a 240v rattle gun purchased from machine mart, wrap the nut in a cloth( same issue, anodized nuts.....Which sounds very painful) This technique has never failed yet.
Old 22-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #15
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
I have a similar issue with my car, sheared a 17 mm socket over the weekend,bent a bar ,even borrowed an impact driver. Next for me is apply some heat to see if the differential in expansion rates of metals does the trick….good luck!
Similar here, I'm rebuilding an old Land Rover and have bought a spare rolling chassis to use as a donor for certain parts.

Got the front wheels off OK but I can't shift the rear wheel nuts, air powered rattle gun won't touch it and my 30" breaker bar is flexing way too much for my liking at the joint where the socket fits and I fear it'll break if I try too hard.

Although I don't actually need the rear axle, I'd still like to shift it and it maybe something I can sell on to recoup some of the ridiculous, money-pit levels of costs it's giving me plus, I don't like being beaten so, for now I've sprayed it with plenty of plus gas and will come back to it later, maybe a 3/4 breaker or serious flame is required?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote