UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Whats' wrong with local bike cops??

Old 11-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
jimbo696

Whats' wrong with local bike cops??

I recently had two occasions to question the friendliness of my local bike cops...
Firstly let me say I have known some first rate bike cops, so i am a great supporter of plod... They are normally friendly and always nod when you nod at them...

Anyway, last week I was parked outside a supermarket on my GS, as I was about to get on the bike, two cops pulled up. They parked so close that I had to move my bike to actually get on it; when I said hi to them, they both ignored me!!!!
Today, I was riding on a local town road and I saw 3 cops approaching and I nodded and all 3 of them ignored me; i assume they were the same guys I have seen before...

Should I expect a nod in return from a fellow biker? What has your experience been??
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
1. You want respect and you ride a GS ? (Only joking before everyone beats me up )
2. If you were riding the Monster then it'll be jealousy

Never had a nice experience with UK plod I'm afraid - French bike cops (gendarmes) are ace, gendarmes in the blue vans are not much fun (very little sense of humour) and the Police National hate everyone

I've always (95%) managed to get nods and waves off fellow bikers - virtually 100% guaranteed in France (we even get cars pulling over for us).
Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
I know what you mean about nodding to fellow bikers, when I started riding in the late 70's if you nodded at s copper, they would nod back, today not a chance!
Personally I think it's down to the way cops behave and the 'them and us' attitude which seems to be more and more prevalent in the police force today.
I know my view is based on my experiences, but the copper of today I feel is arrogant & unprofessional plus the business of them having targets to meet is ridiculous.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
French bike cops (gendarmes) are ace
+1

Have had them pull up next to us a few times to check we're OK while we're stopped looking at maps.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Gendarmes are a hoot!
I've been in bars in provincial France, watched cars with 2 or 3 cops roll up, stay in the bar for a couple of hours, get loaded and drive away!!
Although the riot police are a different kettle of fish all together... they can be scary!!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Should we ask what you were up to Grumpy to encounter the French Riot Police
Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
What do you expect, they are the enforcers of the state and have been conditioned as such.
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
StuartJames

Bumped into a couple of traffic cops with Slob at a service station near Canary Wharf a while back. They had filled up their vehicle and then walked around to check out our bikes. Went in to pay, buy some coffees and donuts, then came out to talk to us.

Rob quickly found out they were bikers and got talking about some roads and tracks in Europe, and how much they wanted to go back.

Then they reluctantly said goodbye, wished us a great ride, and jokingly said they wouldn't follow us LOL Nice guys.

You just know they let rip once they're out of uniform, they just can't tell you that!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
He11cat

Jimbo.. cause your riding a GS lol!!! ....

now if it was a proper Gs ... ie Suzuki ... lol they would say hello!!!!

if its one of them Ewan and Charlie bikes... hmmm I have to say I am sick of being nearly knocked flying in traffic by them metal paniers ..
So you have to stop being a Charlie and get a different Gs lol ! (im teasing).

I tend to think hmm another bloke watching to much Charlie again ... lol
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJames View Post
You just know they let rip once they're out of uniform, they just can't tell you that!
I've a good friend who's a Gendarme and out of uniform rides a Triumph Street Triple - absolute lunatic (he's an ex-Mxer)
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo696 View Post
I recently had two occasions to question the friendliness of my local bike cops...
They don't need to be friendly do they? My last encounter kinda says it all. There's a road that drops from 2 lanes into one and a bus lane, I have no sod in the outside lane willing to let me in so I covered about 4m of bus lane to get into a gap. NENAWNENAW the first thing that's said is 'We can nick you for that'. Very civil and an ideal icebreaker.
Quote:
Should I expect a nod in return from a fellow biker?
Mostly but some are just moserable gits, from police.. I don't expect it these days, maybe from a few old school guys.
Quote:
What has your experience been??
See above, my experience have got worse over time. It is really getting to be a them and us thing with increasing polarisation. It's not my isolation or attitude that's causing that.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
pegboy

Was filling up at the Gateway services M1, when i pulled up there was this copper just coming out after paying, anyhow as me and rattle pulled up he stopped walking and looked at me, so i filled up and saw him walking over, he said to me "thats one rattle you have there" I Said "Yeah i know it adds character" chatted about the bike he said His first bike was a monster, told me to go slow and be safe and off he went.

So all in all nice bloke.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
He11cat

well we have an ex policeman in our club.. mad as a box of frogs.. maybe he got sectioned and told to leave lol!! no..

he carries a rubber squirty goldfish about and dresses as a bumblebee... ??? but is the biggest ladies man I have ever met!!!..I have lost count.

The other Policeman we had sadly got killed .. some old duffer of a woman decided oh I missed my turning on the A road and il reverse back down it...
Bob was coming up and usual thing no body gave way... he tried to avoid the crazy and did what he had been trained to do .. drop the bike and they say try to separate from the bike don't they...he was hit and killed instantly..

He used to pull up locals but if he knew you give a slap wrist and let you go on your way.. but say next time may not be me.. but was never an arse..when off duty was off duty within reason I hear..he had finally met a girl he thought the world of and they where very happy... but people said he went doing something he loved and knowing that he was loved.
And in a stupid way.. I think the best way.. if you have to go..and you should live for today and don't take loved ones for granted..

Nodding.. it really depends what bike im on!!!!
when I rode ER5 for a bit.... ignored.. (well..hmm can get that)

The Kat.. get lots of waves!!! and lots of people come up and say wow not seen one of those for a few years.

125 .. again as its stupid and I don't have L plates people laugh and wave.

Monster.. hmm people not so friendly!! .. lol...

Street fighter yammy.. again get quite a few nods!..

I found west country way friendlier.. up here a bit standoffish..
Old 12-11-2009, 04:20 AM   #14
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Cops = no personality= Daleks
Old 12-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
Should we ask what you were up to Grumpy to encounter the French Riot Police
All i'll say is when one of them pointed his machine gun at me, I became very respectfull!!