UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 1100 Evo - Battery dilemma

Old 28-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
Miss Plum

1100 Evo - Battery dilemma

Ello,

I have a garage but no electricity. People have suggested getting the optimate solar charger which I can plug into the bike (by some easy plug somewhere...not entirely sure where, pointers please) to keep the battery charging while away or over winter. This is a great idea but I'm concerned about people spotting the solar charger on the roof and thinking there's something worth nicking from the garage (thoughts please, I live in central London).

The next suggestion is to store it at a friends garage with electricity supply, this is all well and good but I'd have to notify insurers of this, which will probably mean an admin charge and potentially causing documents/records problems I'd rather not risk.

Final option is I learn how to get at the battery under the tank and bring it into the house and pop it on the charger. I'm reasonably mechanically minded but a little nervous to attempt this by myself first time. If I was to do this way I'd need help on removing it and putting it back. Also how long can you leave the bike without the battery plugged in, is there any potential damage problems I might have when putting the battery after say 1 month and/or 3 months?

Cheers in advance
Old 28-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hiya Plum, long time no see.
I take my batteries off my bikes in the depths of winter and store them in the warm when I'm not using them. Happy to show you how, we nearly got that far when investigating your fuel tank issue last summer, any more problems with that? Do you have an alarm on it (I can't remember)?
The other question is do you have easy access to the roof of your lockup, for solar panel placement?
gimme a shout
Rob
--
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
I've kept my monster on a solar charger for a couple of years now (also don't have electricity in my garage). Starts no problem even after the winter lay-up. Position the solar charger mid-way along the garage roof, unlikely anybody would notice.

I've hard wired an connection lead directly to the battery.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Miss Plum

I know I've been hiding, only done 700 miles on the bike! Baaaaaaad Plum.

I think solar charger is the way forward.

Rob I've got your details so I'll drop a quick line there. One other question then, solar panel route - which one should I get and is the OptiMate O-47 Adapter the right adapter for plugging her in through the seat?
Old 28-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
TonyG

I don't know if the evo is the same as the earlier 1100s but getting the battery out is a pain. You don't need to remove the tank, you can lift it up and once you have done it a few times it's quite easy, if very fiddly. Jonzi from this forum showed me how to do it, but there are youtube vids as well. It is probably worth knowing how to do it in the long run.
Old 28-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
slob

I *think* 047 is the correct lead,
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=549544
I'll let Alan answer the solar panel question as I haven't tried one myself
Old 28-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
I’d vote take it out. It’s not that hard once you’ve done it a couple times.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
You don't need a bike specific charger, I got mine from Maplins, halfords also do a range. From memory it was around £20.00
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
stopintime

Bike: S2r
For charging access: have you had a look in the manual? ; (RTFM as 'they' say)

I'd be sceptical about an (expensive?) panel on a garage roof. Without an alarm - no/little need for charging - if you ride regularly - which you must
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
You could go a bit lateral on this and get a small solar set that will charge a storage battery that can power an inverter to give you mains power which might be handier long term
Old 29-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #11
Paul_

Bike: M696
http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/pro...r+Packs/RPP265

Another option is to get one of these and use it once every couple of weeks to charge your battery. Expensive but a practicle solution.
Paul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
BobT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_ View Post
http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/pro...r+Packs/RPP265

Another option is to get one of these and use it once every couple of weeks to charge your battery. Expensive but a practicle solution.
These will not charge a 12 volt battery, they will start it though.
Old 29-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #13
slob

... and fry your cdi units if you have a carbie monster
Old 29-03-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
Miss Plum

Couple of updates...

I've had my battery replaced because the other one had been damaged by repetitive starts (ignition issue which I thought was because the battery was low) Turns out I have no auto choke and each time she dies she drains the battery trying to fire up again. So I'm gonna take her to a garage where they can run diagnostics, I hope it's just a 'switch' somewhere.

The fuel issue (where it turned into a fountain) isn't an issue in the purest sense. Because of the new EU regulations there's no vapour holes in the petrol cap, so that fizzing is the vapour build up (the exit hose at the bottom clearly doesn't clear it quick enough). It's a common thing where if you're going to open the petrol cap on a warm bike with half a tank or so of fuel you need to open it like a bottle of fizzy water...very gently and slowly to let the vapour ease out.

At least now I know what's going on.
Old 29-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #15
slob

That’s definitely an issue, we checked the breather was clear last summer but you should never get a ‘fountain’ even with a full tank in a heatwave. Also the evo doesn’t have a manual choke but it does have a stepper motor that should provide auto-enrichening (choke function) for starting.

Last edited by slob; 29-03-2018 at 09:36 AM..