UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » A simple wheel lift?

Old 01-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I have the Abba stand used a few times and it's good. So I got the front lift thinking it might be useful too, but I've not used it yet. What is the issue with it?
It relies on attaching a webbing strap around the swingarm and tightening it down to the Abba extension, thus lifting the front. First, it depends on the shape of the swingarm and bits that get in the way, such as calipers etc, and then I found the effort to pull the back downwards was massive. If you can get someone to sit on the pillion seat it would help a lot, or use a ratchet tie-down, so long as it didn't slide along the swingarm. Since I already had a front lift that goes into the steering head tube, that's by far the best way to get the front up, in conjunction with the Abba at the centre. The nose-pieces for the front lift are the only tricky bit and if you want to lift a tall bike, some improvising may be necessary.

Good luck if you try your Abba add-on!

Nick
Old 01-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #17
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
It relies on attaching a webbing strap around the swingarm and tightening it down to the Abba extension, thus lifting the front. First, it depends on the shape of the swingarm and bits that get in the way, such as calipers etc, and then I found the effort to pull the back downwards was massive. If you can get someone to sit on the pillion seat it would help a lot, or use a ratchet tie-down, so long as it didn't slide along the swingarm. Since I already had a front lift that goes into the steering head tube, that's by far the best way to get the front up, in conjunction with the Abba at the centre. The nose-pieces for the front lift are the only tricky bit and if you want to lift a tall bike, some improvising may be necessary.

Good luck if you try your Abba add-on!

Nick
Thanks Nick, I can see how it might be tricky with a single sided arm. It might be ok with the standard twin sided one. I will have to try it out but as you say I might have to look for a cheap front stand. I think the Monster has a hollow steering stem and that would be the best option, but IIRC my 748 does not so if I wanted to remove the forks or yokes on that I'd be a bit stuck there. Come to think of it I don't even have the Abba stand bobbins for the 748 anyway!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #18
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
I have used a shovel under the back tyre for the past 10 years or so and it works perfectly.
That's clever, I reckon that's a perfect solution!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #19
The Clockie

Darren,

I was trying to use the Abba front-lift add-on on a bike with a normal swingarm (a Cagiva Raptor), not a single-sider, and it was a total pain. It looks OK in theory but not in practice, for me at least; perhaps if I was built like a gorilla it might be different! The dedicated steering-head front-lift I have is a very clever bit of design and a real pleasure to use, so the extra Abba bits are just gathering dust. The basic Abba lift is invaluable though.

Nick
Old 06-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #20
The Clockie

Just an update on this. With Luddite's clever suggestion, I've made a lift to help with installing rear wheels, especially when the bike is quite high off the ground, as when using an Abba stand. I got two of the inflatable wedges cos they seemed like useful things for all manner of jobs! To ensure the wheel was supported in a stable fashion, I hinged two bits of board together and popped one wedge between. Obviously, one needs to do the toecap shuffle to get the lift beneath the wheel and the dimensions required will differ from one bike to another, but it was very pleasing indeed to be able to gently pump the wedge up until the wheel was perfectly in line to feed the axle through. Doing it this way should also prevent damage to the thread of the axle and/or the bearings and spacers that can happen if one uses too much force.

Job done!

Last edited by The Clockie; 06-04-2020 at 09:00 AM..