UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New to Ducati

Old 23-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #16
Bob.E

Welcome to our humble forum, you meet the best Monster people here. I 'third' the Niel @ Cornerspeed idea. I've a 696 and he flashed it by post. 3 day turn around, not bad time.
I've got no lumpiness at all and it's like a completely different beast all through the revs.
I've got Termi's, K&N air filter and standard sprocket teeth sizes. Next is something to replace the adequate Bridgestone 023's.

Bob E
Old 23-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #17
Starla

Bike: M796
Hello again,

Just back from Moto Rapido an hour later, and more posts from you kind people. Much appreciated.

2nd time I've been there, 2nd time I've said "Monster 796", 2nd time I've been looked at like I'm from another planet, and shown the door !! Jeez, it was a current model only 5 years ago ....... BTW Their website refers to them Dyno-ing bikes. They admitted they don't even have a Dyno, but it's occasionally "outsourced". Won't be going back there again.

Anyway, I will ring Neil at Cornerspeed tomorrow, and Thanks for all the thumbs up there. I was beginning to worry I was stuck with a very difficult to ride bike !! .........

Thanks also for all the info on the Ohlins Spring, part no etc. I'd noted M&H from reading on the forum, and I have a friend in Chippenham I can go see. But SURELY I can order a shock spring from my local dealer Snells and ask them to fit it ??!! I'll pop in there in the next few days (15 mins away).

Really friendly and informative forum. Thanks for ALL the help.

Starla x
Starla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
As far as I know, Glenn at 2Brothers Motorcycles at Andover still has a dyno.
They've done some really good work with it (on at least their second dyno now) and they really know their stuff...Might be worth a phone call.

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious... Before any dyno work or re-flashing, do you know if the valve clearances are within spec? If not, they should be checked and serviced if needed.
I generally reckon on a 6000 miles service life out of spark plugs. So worth checking those too... Don't forget to check the gaps.
I'm assuming here that you know when the bike was last serviced properly, if you didn't do this yourself?
Important to get these things right before resorting to dynos and re-maps.... Sorry if you already know how to suck eggs..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 23-10-2019 at 06:12 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #19
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Neil Cornerspeec used to have a 796 so he should be able to advise you on mods etc.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #20
Starla

Hi All,

Have now taken the ECU out to go to Neil tomorrow for a re-flash, and disconnected the Lambda sensors.

Next, to order a new Ohlins Spring for the rear !

Cheers
Starla
Old 25-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #21
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Arrow

Good move, sending off the ECU! When you refit it, you'll need to run the engine without touching the throttle until it shows three bars on the temperature gauge. This will reset the throttle position sensor.

Also note that the bike may feel odd for the first couple of hundred miles while the ECU relearns the auto-adaptive parameters. Don't worry, it'll soon settle down. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55198

Now you've removed your lambda sensors, it's advisable to protect the exposed connectors from moisture either with some silicon grease or with some proper blanking plugs. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...08&postcount=5

Don't forget to let us know how it feels once you've done the ECU and spring.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #22
Starla

Thanks Luddite,

Neil will have Monday.

I've seen your posts on TPS reset and blanking the Lamdas - I have some something suitable. I didn't say I have already done the 14t & G2 throttle tamer.

Ohlins Spring is only available online from Germany/Italy, so I'll speak to Snells 1st, then MH Racing. Also FTR suspension may have one.

However, the Fuelling is my priority.

Thanks again
Starla
Old 26-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #23
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
...the Fuelling is my priority.
You've definitely got your priorities right, Laurence. If you were only to make one modification, this is the one I'd choose.

Quote:
Ohlins Spring is only available online from Germany/Italy, so I'll speak to Snells 1st, then MH Racing. Also FTR suspension may have one.
I got my first spring from Crescent in Verwood and my current one from Mark at MH Racing so you shouldn't have any problem sourcing one from the UK.

And, by the way, what's a 'G2 throttle tamer'? I've never heard of that.
Old 26-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #24
Starla

https://www.g2ergo.com/shop/g2-stree...e-tube-ducati/

Doesn't seem to do too much, but the idea is that is smoothest out jerky throttles. I had one put on my 796 when the dealer did the servicing and prep to my specs before purchase.

Lots of our US Monseter brethren have had them put on. Was easy to source in EU. I can tell you where I got it, if you're interested.

Starla
Old 27-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #25
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Welcome aboard Starla.
Sent my ECU to Cornerspeed for a re-flash and fitted 14t front sprocket on my 696, much smoother and better acceleration!
May be a bit far for you, but Richard at Lougi Moto near Bristol knows his stuff and his prices are very reasonable, nice bloke too. http://www.louigimoto.com/
Old 28-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
Luddite

Quote:
I can tell you where I got it, if you're interested.
That's a good-looking piece of kit - I do like a nice bit of machined billet. Seems a shame to cover it with a grip rubber! I'm happy with my throttle response though since Neil waved his magic wand, so at least that's one less thing I'll need to buy.
Old 28-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #27
Starla

Yes,

Lovely aluminum billet, then all covered up !! Didn't seem to "do" much though !

Ordered the Ohlins spring today from TRF (had in stock), and re-did all the lambda blanking properly.

Starla
Old 28-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #28
Bob.E

P.S. Luddite. A bit of explaining please (or, in fact anyone) Neil told me not to bother with the Lambda sensors as they are overwrote in software. i've not touched them, is this wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Old 28-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.E View Post
P.S. Luddite. A bit of explaining please (or, in fact anyone) Neil told me not to bother with the Lambda sensors as they are overwrote in software. i've not touched them, is this wrong?
Thanks in advance.
That's odd. He told me to definitely disconnect them, but not do anything to exhaust valve, which he said the re-flash by-passed. This was last Friday.

Starla
Old 28-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #30
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.E View Post
Thanks in advance.
I think you may have misunderstood Neil's comment, Bob. When he says 'not to bother with the Lambda sensors', he doesn't mean just leave them as they are but rather that you don't need them and they should be disconnected. You have to physically unplug the lambdas from the loom otherwise their signals will confuse the remapped ECU.

If you're still running with yours plugged in, you're going to get a very pleasant surprise when you disconnect them! Let us know the result...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: