UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Laser engraving

Old 21-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
In case anyone hadn't heard.

Yeah. So My Monster won the Bike of the Year trophy at the 2017 Weekender. (Now you know)
A trophy is fine and well but only visible in Gazza Towers. So I decided to make the bike itself the trophy.

I have to thank Luddite for posting this thread and discovering the laser engravers, he also helped me get in touch with PMP Laser Technologies when a local firm let me down very badly. I cant speak highly enough about the guys at PMP. I did this via postage and email and the result is superlative. They haven't even billed me yet, although I know it is only £30 + postage. (I would have paid £50 happily)

It's laser engraved 0.3mm deep, the laser leaves the ally very dark grey which is exactly what I wanted. They left a line round the centre of the "O" at my request so I could paint fill it (Rosso Red). I was going to fill the middle lettering with Gold, but I don't think I'll bother.. Less is more. (And the blingy buttons in the screw heads spoil the effect too!)

Thank you to Vince and PMP.

Old 21-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
Moco1961

Genius !

Firstly mate,what a great idea, you have super personalised your monster and one glance at the bars will let the unassuming viewer know the achievements of this fine steed and shy and retiring owner !

Secondly The workmanship and overall effect is fantastic,actually you may have hit on a way forward to all bike of year winners.....becomes difficult if you win more than one accolade though !

Last edited by Moco1961; 21-03-2020 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Added comment
Old 21-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you Mike. Shy maybe? Retiring.. I'm working on that..

I'll try and get some better photos as bright Spring Sunshine is not the best for photographing shiny things!. The pics don't do it justice.
Old 21-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
actually you may have hit on a way forward to all bike of year winners.....becomes difficult if you win more than one accolade though !
The thought had occurred. We would have to acquire a suitable clamp for the model after the award, unless the owner donated a part of their choice.. I like the idea though.

BTW this years (or next) trophies will have laser engraved plaques. (haven't committed to actually engraving 2020 on them yet!!)
Old 21-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #20
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
But it's not OEM in my case lol. Looks great Gazza love the idea.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #21
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Nice job, Mr G.
I agree that its better without the gold too.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #22
Flip

Bike: M900
Really like that Mr G!!

Especially nice to see the accolade with the mileage on the Odometer too- proves Ducati’s can be more than just a show piece.

A message to all motorcyclists there in fact- make excuses to get out and ride when you get the chance, there will be a time when we won’t (for various reasons) be able to anymore.

My best mates Dad is in his eighties and still riding - an absolute legend and an inspiration to me personally.
Old 21-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #23
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That looks the business, Mr G. I'm glad they took good care of you - their work really is top quality too, isn't it? And you can't argue with that price either!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #24
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for your compliments guys, it just adds to my pride.
Thanks for noticing the mileage too Flip, I'm a big advocate of actually riding the thing, there's plenty of time to polish.... And plenty of time to get your Monster ready for the later Weekender date, with the possibility of taking the Bike of the Year trophy home.

Managed to get the camera in at a better angle, so you can see the effect better.

Old 21-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #25
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
That looks the business, Mr G. I'm glad they took good care of you - their work really is top quality too, isn't it? And you can't argue with that price either!
Thanks again for your help and recommendation Vince. Yes they are brilliant to deal with. Very friendly and helpful, as well as very skilled.
I hope it inspires others to have a go.
Old 21-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #26
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Looks even better in your latest photo! By the way, did you ask them to video the engraving? It's a fascinating process.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I didn't ask for a video, but I did watch the one you posted earlier in this thread.

I also owe my thanks to Darkness for his part in this little project. I posted up a "wanted" for another clamp or a pair of single ones to use while mine was off. Darkness responded, not only with a pair of single clamps but they were attached to risers and a pair of Monster yokes too, which will be just the ticket for another project coming through. Not only that, but he sent them to me FOC. My thanks alone will never be enough. It just fills me with delight, when the whole world is in chaos, that we have such a wonderful club spirit going here. Long may it continue and thanks to you all.

Old 22-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #28
The Clockie

Very tasteful, Gary! And it's not as if it's a "1 of 500" type of inscription: there can only be one 2017 supremo Monster!

Talking of the milk of human kindness, I owe you some headlamp units, a nifty bit of wood-fibre turning and possibly an H4 LED to try. Rather too bulky to carry on the bike, so I'd need to pop over in the car when you want them. Possibly some time in the next couple of years?

Cheers,

Nick
Old 22-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for the kind words Nick.
Thanks for the lamps too, they're not spoiling, I'm sure we'll catch up soon and we can also resume the bulging club calendar when the storm passes.