UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Removing a bolt...

Old 17-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Removing a bolt...

I am looking to upgrade the forks on the kid's Skyteam Ace and there's a bolt in the top of one of the fork legs that I cannot move.

I can't push the forks through the top yoke to hold it so I can get some more leverage because of the way they're designed, and I did try dropping them a bit and just using the bottom yoke but that started to twist rather than the bolt coming off (something else I then had to sort). This 'bolt' also only has 2 flats so it's opened ended spanners all the way...

So how can I clamp a shiny fork leg without damaging it while applying considerable leverage to this nut? I've also thought about filing the 'flats' into a hex and attacking it with my rattle gun as that shifts most things, but I will still need to hold the leg still.

If I trash the nut then I'm going to have to get another made as I can't buy a replacement (I can't even get a complete fork leg!) but I only need to take it off once so a bit of damage won't be the end of the world.

I may be 'working from home' soon so could have a bit of time to sort it
Old 17-03-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Well, this is what the fully equipped professionals use...

There are some basic clamps on eBay for around £40...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...lding+tool+for

I imagine your Skyteam forks are pretty spindly so these clamps may well be too large. The manufacturer does say that they'll make up custom sizes to order but I expect you'd pay for the privilege, (which might be a bit extravagant for something you'll probably only use once!).

Alternatively, I have seen homemade clamps made from wood, which you could try. A old cut up inner tube would provide extra protection.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
PhilLew
600 dark

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Have you tried a strap wrench to hold the leg? might need an extra pair of hands too.
PhilLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I would think the fork tubes are 34 to 36mm so I think a strap wrench almost certainly would not work as it would not have enough circumference to grip and as the fork tube is probably polished chrome this would exacerbate the grip issue.
Luddites wooden clamps look like they might work provided the hole, before cutting the slot, was a good fit and the wood was a hardwood e.g oak, probably best also if the grain was across the plan view of the fork leg so that a decent clamping pressure can be applied before the wood splits
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
If aesthetics is not an issue grind the top of the "nuts" to remove the surface coating and weld as big a possible proper nut to it filling (having sanded off any zinc coating or better still drop the nut in brick cleaner for half an hour to get rid of all coatings) where the thread goes with weld. Then the rattle gun will work.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Can't comment on the fork removal technique, but what a lovely little café racer! Had to google it however but what a nice little bike.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Can't comment on the fork removal technique, but what a lovely little café racer! Had to google it however but what a nice little bike.
Especially in yellow !

It's a cracking (and tiny) bike to ride but the front end is very bouncy, hence tweaking the front end. A small spacer to preload the spring and a change of oil apparently makes loads of difference

Anyway, the forks are 27mm diameter, really small and difficult to hold and a strap wrench didn't work. However, I do have some bits of wood lying round...
Old 18-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm actually preferring the silver or grey ones tbh: -

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...XNrBud0MBlzYDg

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...52F3ByRz5RZNNQ

Hope those links work? Maybe you could fit some Ceriani forks from a little Ducati lightweight? Sounds like a rebound damping issue but maybe can be masked by heavier oil and lighter springs?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote