UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Fitting a steering damper

Old 01-04-2024, 04:08 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Fitting a steering damper

Hi all, OK then I've been contemplating fitting a steering damper to the heap for some time (even though it's adding weight). The typical issue is when winding it on, particularly if it involves hitting a few cats eyes, i.e when overtaking. My main problem is of course is my own awkwardness, because I really hate those universal fitment - clamp round the fork leg type of damper set ups. Unfortunately with my 1994 frame & SS yolks, I can't see any obvious alternatives. I'm favouring a below the bottom yolk set up, but haven't worked out how to do it yet. So has anyone out there got any suggestions, preferably fully illustrated.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Okay, the last steering damper I had involved Ferodo discs on a rod going through the steering stem topped off with a big Bakelite Knob for adjustment.

I'll suggest another approach though. What tyres are you using and what sections?
I know you started with a 600 but can't imagine you're still on 600 wheels and tyre sizes?
I do notice that my 900ie weaves a bit on the white lines when overtaking with spirit, but this is always down to the tyres getting worn. Even a hard to find flat on the rear will start the wobble off, around the 4000/5000 mile mark.

Bridgestone BT023 GT seem to be holding their profile well after nearly 7000 miles and no sign of white-lining, but not on a Monster in this case.
I will be fitting BT023 on the Monster next though. (But not the GT version, which is for heavyweights.)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:06 PM   #3
Bitza
Bronze Member

Thanks Gary, but I don't think this is a tyre issue, when I ride with determination the front end gets very light as the front rises, accompanied with quite pronounced shaking. Which is what I am seeking damp.

Re the old style damper, I can't ever remember tightening one up, did you.

Last edited by Bitza; 01-04-2024 at 06:10 PM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:16 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I tried it, but it just made the steering stiff and wasn't needed, so I just used to have it tight enough to not fall off, which unfortunately it did one night, hitting my knee as it flew.
I never did find the knob, which was the proper AJS one with the badge moulded in.

Thought I might need it when I put a chair on but I knew how to track it properly, so didn't even need it for that.

My 900 used to aviate sometimes under hard acceleration but didn't wobble until it twitched touching back down again, which is when I realised it had been in the air.

I've had the measure of it for years though and seem to manage the throttle better.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:33 AM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I fitted a damper in front of the tank, taking inspiration from my 916;

I used a combination of bracketry, including some custom/home made parts and whilst it's not as neat as the 916 version, I think it turned out OK in the end.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:17 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My S4 was flighty even though it had a factory damper, until I raised the rear end and that calmed it down.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:39 PM   #7
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I was thinking about using a 916 setup under the yoke, with a ‘spigot’ welded to the frame and a triangular plate bolted to the two deflector flap mounting holes in the bottom yoke. Never got round to seeing if it would all fit with the right geometry.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 02:53 PM   #8
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well I bought myself a bargain Ohlins damper(£60), feeling pretty chuffed with my self until I put it on the scales 310gms. Why is it when you look to save a bit of weight it's 50 to 100 gms, think about putting something on and its up into the hundreds.
Old 19-04-2024, 05:32 PM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I'm mostly with Mr G here, the last steering damper I used was on a 350 scrambler. There is one on the R but that's turned down to 0.
A damper is just usually hiding the cause rather than fixing it, a bit of tyre wear with slight wear in bearings, headrace a tiny bit too loose is all it takes, mismatched fork setup or mistach fron to rear set up, take your pick any will cause it.
Typically the damper hides any instability until it gets overwhelmed and then it comes back, hopefully that's at a speed that your unlikely to achieve.