UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » M695 prices and running costs

Old 27-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
Novice

Couple of extra questions that I thought about for those all year round commuters.

Do any of you all year round commuters put that Scottoiler or ACF50 stuff on the bike for winter?

Also how many days roughly do you not use the bike and go by public transport? Is it mainly on days with snow?

Cheers!
Old 27-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
mystic

Always ride any weather even snow, just take it easy. The only times I'm on the train is when out for a few jars....which is unfortunately few and far between these days!

PS No, the commute didn't kill the 695, an Addison Lee minicab did!!!!!
Old 27-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I plaster mine with ACF, poke it into some of the allen keys heads with a brush like disc fixings particularly.
As public transport takes about 2 1/2 hours on a good day to cover the distance I do in 30 mins I've taken the stance that if it's that bad I don't go in!
Ridden snow, it's OK really generally better than riding over the same surface with a slick of diesel on it. Mostly you get slushy muck the tyres cut through, you just need to be smooth. Even when real snow packs a little the tyre tread flick the stuff out and you get some grip.
Snow ridings real problem is the damn stuff sailing towards your face, way disconcerting and the way it clings to the visor.
Freezing rain is best avoided, just don't do it, think diesel in the wet on worn out tyres and then a bit more slippery. Find nearest pub and wait it out It is a good excuse at least!!
Worst time for my usual trip was 6 hours, we were slightly flooded around here. Only took 4 in the snow and that was cos the cars were in the way, could have done in it an hour or so without them. I did cheat and cut through the forest for the last few miles which the Monnie handled with its usual finesse.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
Scootaboy

I think I'd draw the line at snow but everything else goes.

Dont use acf50 just silicon spray after cleaning
Old 28-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #20
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
Personally I use Scottoiler FS365 as it's easier to clean off than ACF 50.
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #21
Lucati

Beer and Snow.....

I commute from Sutton to Oval every day on my 696 and the only things that force me onto the train are Beer and Snow!

I was boozin' last night and on my way to work in the morning It was horrible, there is no other time you would stand so close to a complete stranger unless you were.... well you know!....

695 is a great bike, I had mine for a year before this one and I loved it.