UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Oberon clutch slave fitment

Old 05-02-2020, 05:24 AM   #1
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I must admit to a secret little sharp intake of breath when you said you had decided to chop the rod. I'm pleased that you got to the bottom of it before the unkind cut..

I wouldn't mind a chat with this Steve chappie to see if he can supply seals for my Oberon that will keep the fluid clear.
I was told by a Ducati chap that the black clutch fluid is caused by the rubber seal cap in the reservoir

I changed mine to the clear ones as used on new monster and no black fluid
Old 05-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo22 View Post
I was told by a Ducati chap that the black clutch fluid is caused by the rubber seal cap in the reservoir

That might be partly true but its more likely to be the slave seals otherwise wouldn't the brake fluid would turn black too?

I'd still be interested to find out more about these clear reservoir seals you mention.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo22 View Post

By which I assume we are talking about the black "rubber" diaphram in the top of the pot? I have the standard round first generation remote pots on mine with custom caps but the original black seal/diaphragms.
I know the pots are of different design, with the brake having two screws in the cap, while the clutch is a screw on cap, so I suppose it's possible that the diaphragms are different materials, otherwise both pots would be affected, as Darren said.. Seems odd though?
The clutch diaphram is much more visible than the brake and produces a flash of black in the translucent pot even if the fluid is clear, so a clear diaphram would help in that respect at least.

I will enquire at Moto Rapido for availability of a clear seal and if I can get one it will part of the pre Weekender service.. My money's on the slave seals though.

Anorak note.. Interesting word; diaphram. It gains a "g" in the plural; diaphragms.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
So. A quick chat with the ever helpful Craig reveals that they have only ever stocked black diaphagms. There is however an upgrade for the seal, which now takes the form of a rigid translucent plastic ring. This is a tighter fit than the previous and serves to retain the diaphram even in the event of losing the cap, which has happened apparently.

As this sits on top of the diaphram, under the cap, I can see no way that fluid can contact it, so I don't think this has anything to do with the blacking issue at all. Duncan, could you please clarify what part you upgraded and where to source it?

#Always use Extra Virgin fluid.