UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Biker Friendly Cafes/Hotels etc » First trip of the year!

Old 11-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Bodybag

First trip of the year!

Well, the weathers crap, but I've managed to do 1000 miles this week on Beelzebub. I'm bike shaped now and I haven't even started my Easter tour of Ireland yet!! There are 6 of us going out to Ireland tomorrow morning on various bikes, 4 Jap sports things, An Aprilia Mille and Beelzebub (my S4 Monster). The plan is to all gather in Leicester today, then head to Holyhead in Anglesey for the lunchtime ferry to Dublin. The first night we're staying in Oldcastle, northwest of Dublin. Then we have 2 days of blagging accommodation when we arrive somewhere!. The final night will be in Dublin (and its a Saturday ) Look out Dublin!! I'll follow up with a post and pictures next week hopefully. I'll also try to find some good biker pubs/hotels while I'm there and post them on here for information. Enjoy your Easter ride-outs. See you all at the weekender.

Phil
Old 12-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Chappers

Miss you already!

Have a brilliant time, don't do anything I wouldn't (not much then ) and ride safe and sober
Old 17-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Bodybag

I'm back in almost one piece!!

4 brilliant days in Ireland only spoilt by one minor incident, which I'll come to in a minute!

Had a mad blast from Leicester to Holyhead as we were a bit late leaving on Wednesday morning. Got the ferry to Dublin and got lost within 5 minutes of leaving the port. In the end there was only 4 of us, 2 jap things, the mille and Beelzebub.

Oldcastle, where we stayed on the first night is a little town north west of Dublin and we stayed here: http://www.irelandbreaks.co.uk/leisu...heFincourt.htm

Very relaxing and the Guinness is perfect. The Irish atmosphere was completed by the impromptu band that slowly turned up to fill the bar with singing and music.

Day 2 and we headed to Galway. Not a lot to say about this night except I can't remember it very well. I do know that we stayed in Barnacles on Quay Street http://www.barnacles.ie/ and right opposite is a club that had a very late licence and a top band on.

Day 3 we rode down to Cork (we stayed in Jury's Inn cos the bar was open) but it was a bit of a non event as it was good friday and everything was shut. Doh! Never mind, we managed to kiss the Blarney Stone, although I'd recommend not going there with full armoured jacket etc. as you won't fit up the (136) stairs if you're as big as me!

Next day we had 150 miles of mainly National roads to get back to Dublin, although some of these are pretty good to ride. Into Dublin, and we stayed at the Dublin International Hostel http://www.anoige.ie/directory/dublin
Basic accom (with secure parking) but as we were there to party, not stare at the walls of the room, it didn't matter. After something to eat, we went into a club called Fitzsimons which is in the Temple Bar area near the river. Had a great night right up to the point where I fell off a stool and, as it later transpired, broke my arm! As you can imagine, I was a little bit annoyed and in a great deal of pain, so I drank plenty of JD to numb the pain, got a sling put on by an ambulance parked outside and carried on the nights partying. Next morning, I realized that I couldn't ride so a call or 20 to Carole Nash and recovery was arranged to get me home to Leicester. Unfortunately, it couldn't arrive in time for the 11.10 ferry so the others left as they already had arrangements made for later in the day (But it did mean I was able to watch some of the 90th Anniversary Easter Uprising Parade in Dublin). I have to make a couple of thank you's, firstly to Martin McDonald of The Motorcycle Recovery Service in Dublin (Tel: 086 833 0705) who was really helpful in getting me back to Dun Laoghaire (Dun Leery) ferry port. Secondly to the Gathering Motorcycle Club from Holyhead (http://thegatheringclub.org//index.html) who got my bike on board the Sea Cat, lashed it down and then rode it off the other end, got it on the recovery truck and waited with me to make sure I got away OK.

Ireland has some amazing roads (when they don't have crashed oil tankers on their side on blind bends) and the hospitality from everyone is amazing!

I can only say if you've not been before, go, and enjoy quiet roads and spectacular scenery.

Phil

Last edited by Bodybag; 17-04-2006 at 04:33 PM..
Old 17-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodycote
Had a great night right up to the point where I fell off a stool and, as it later transpired, broke my arm! so I drank plenty of JD to numb the pain, got a sling put on by an ambulance parked outside and carried on the nights partying. Phil
Top bloke!

Really sorry for ya n all but hats off for alcohoeing your way through. I am soooo proud of you.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Bodybag

Thanks Nonnie

Its nice to have some recognition for the pain and suffering one goes through in the name of entertainment!
Old 17-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
queen_gpants

Bloody hell, sorry to hear you broke your arm but as Nonnie says for carrying on drinking regardless!

Hope it wasn't too bad a break and you'll be fit for the weekender?

You might even gualify for Didge's busted and broken biker badgey thing now!
Old 17-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
and to think i made you a name badge too.
Old 17-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Bodybag

In the timeless words of the Jackson 5...

...I'll be there.

Not sure whether I'll be on Beelzebub or not though. Depends how the arm is. It's not in plaster cos I broke my elbow so hopefully it'll be strong enough to ride again in a couple of weeks.
Old 18-04-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Mand

Poor Leicester Lad!

Oh no, how unlucky!

Hope you get feel better soon and fingers crossed for the weekender.
Old 18-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #10
Chappers

You failed to mention you weren't actually sitting on the stool were you...weren't you dancing on it my dear

Also, you didn't seek proper medical help til you got back to the UK did ya

You are a complete and utter nightmare and I'm dreading 12/13th May now
Old 18-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #11
Bodybag

Yes, I'm a dunce and its all true Chappers.

Sorry miss but I think an ambulanceman constitutes proper medical attention?

I'll go and stand in the corner.

Don't worry about the NW200 being a nightmare. At least any injuries are gonna be mine not yours!

Last edited by Bodybag; 18-04-2006 at 09:35 AM..