UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Another build thread - Ducati 1000

Old 11-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #151
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Coming on Tony. Probably worth mentioning, that the special bolt is NOT found on the casings for the early Monsters before people start thinking theyve missed it.
I have just checked with Snell's. The Special bolt did not appear on a 900 Monster till the 900ie 2002, but was introduced in the 600 and 750 from 2000. Anyway a check of the SD fiches will confirm
Special bolt part no 77910292A

Last edited by PPuxley; 11-10-2021 at 01:02 PM..
PPuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #152
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Thank you - I was worrying that I had to strip off my alternator cover to check whether or not I had fitted it, knowing almost certainly that I hadn't.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #153
PPuxley

I was next to certain I hadnt seen that bolt when dismantling and rebuilding, and hadnt read about it in either the relevant Factory or Haynes Manual but wanted to be certain.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #154
buzzer

There is something satisfying about doing the hydraulics. I pulled everything apart and gave it all a good clean, bead blasted everything and put it all back together with a smear of rubber brake grease and brake fluid. I didn’t replace any of the rubbers on this build, all seems to be in nice condition, so they just got a quick wash in methylated spirits.

last update for a few days... I will be 66 tomorrow, and get my pension!! another milestone reached! My wife is treating me to a few days away and we have family things planned!

Last edited by buzzer; 12-10-2021 at 02:43 PM..
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #155
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Still loving this thread Tony.....Happy Birthday for tomorrow,just over a year older than me!!!! Have a good'un

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #156
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
Still loving this thread Tony.....Happy Birthday for tomorrow,just over a year older than me!!!! Have a good'un

Kimbo
thanks!

I took a good look at the forks, and while the sliders were perfect, the anodizing on the legs was past its best. I popped them in the lathe and used some 240 paper to remove the anodising, then followed it up with some 800, and then a polish. they came up a treat! I did consider re-anodizing them but there is so much to polish anyway! I fitted a couple of new seals, and some new oil. all in all not a difficult job!

Old 17-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #157
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
They look great.
But like yourself, I'm a sucker for a bit of polished ally.
Mind you, if the original finish on the legs is anything like that on mine (Showas) then the machining marks look to be fairly deep.
They probably look deeper than they actually are but I would still think it would take quite a bit of effort to remove them.
More to the point, I would be nervous that removal of that much material might compromise their fit in the yokes.
Did you perchance take any before and after measurements of their diameter ? ...and/or have you yet tried them in the yokes ?
Given your usual attention to detail, I'm quite sure none of this has escaped your consideration but I remain curious.

And I hope you had a very happy birthday the other day.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #158
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
They look great.
But like yourself, I'm a sucker for a bit of polished ally.
Mind you, if the original finish on the legs is anything like that on mine (Showas) then the machining marks look to be fairly deep.
They probably look deeper than they actually are but I would still think it would take quite a bit of effort to remove them.
More to the point, I would be nervous that removal of that much material might compromise their fit in the yokes.
Did you perchance take any before and after measurements of their diameter ? ...and/or have you yet tried them in the yokes ?
Given your usual attention to detail, I'm quite sure none of this has escaped your consideration but I remain curious.

And I hope you had a very happy birthday the other day.
the machining marks were not as deep as they look... I took less than 2 thou off in total

Started the rebuild of the engine… a tip I picked up years ago is its sometimes best to pop the piston in the bore with a ring clamp from the top, and then push it down far enough so you can get the piston pin in from the side… this saves broken rings and that’s important when a set for one piston is over £200! Put some rag in the open crankcase before putting the circlip in though!

Old 18-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #159
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Good tip re the piston I struggled for ages with a ring clamp underneath the barrel to get the rings engaged (there is barely any room there for a clamp) and then had a second struggle to get the ring clamp off the connecting rod.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #160
Dukedesmo

I've always fitted the piston to the rod first - to avoid struggling with the circlip in the confined space under the cylinder.

I then use a home-made ring compressor which is basically a strip of shim (wide enough to cover all the rings) and a large jubilee clip - loosen the clip enough so it'll slide on the piston and then gently tap the cylinder down onto the piston using the flat of my hand. Being thin it'll then easily pull out from under the cylinder.

Done it many times on different bikes and never a problem.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #161
PPuxley

Ive always used the piston in the cylinder first method if I possibly can.

Old 22-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #162
buzzer

I couldn’t resist modifying the clutch cover… I guess that the clutch is going to be even more noisy now!

Old 23-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #163
buzzer

Next job has been to make the plate and trigger wheel for the hall sensors for the ignition. I have made some modifications from the last couple I made, the trigger wheel bigger and i have fitted a heat sink to the plate. I tried to order the same hall sensors as I used the last few times, but everyone seemed to be out of stock, with a delivery date of sept 2022! Fortunately a good friend found me some in Germany, so they are on the way!

The hall sensors are triggered by two tiny magnets in the rim of the trigger wheel, south pole turns the hall on, north off.

Old 23-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #164
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Great work as usual. I noticed this one, thinking ahead for your next project?: -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265364799...torefresh=true

And was thinking you could do something very cool with it. I made a couple of offers around £1200 but they were rejected. And since the most obvious choices of cafe racer have been done to death, and badly in most cases ii had in mind a kind of Supermono rep thing with a single 4V head liike half a 916 engine. Like the original one, keep the inj and get rid of the ugly Terblanche body kit and make it look cool.

As it's local to me I'm more than happy to go and check it over if you are interested? I mean it's super cheap but maybe its blown up but still clean low miles?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #165
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Great work as usual. I noticed this one, thinking ahead for your next project?: -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265364799...torefresh=true

And was thinking you could do something very cool with it. I made a couple of offers around £1200 but they were rejected. And since the most obvious choices of cafe racer have been done to death, and badly in most cases ii had in mind a kind of Supermono rep thing with a single 4V head liike half a 916 engine. Like the original one, keep the inj and get rid of the ugly Terblanche body kit and make it look cool.

As it's local to me I'm more than happy to go and check it over if you are interested? I mean it's super cheap but maybe its blown up but still clean low miles?
Thanks for that! I am SO tempted! timing is a bit out for me though... I wonder what's up with the engine?