UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Why you change belts.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Why you change belts.

I popped the belts off my 750SS at the weekend to do a valve service and had a little surprise.

The belts are Exactfit installed two years ago. I did 16 miles to and from an MOT and the engine has not turned since while I've been playing silly beggars taking various bits apart.

I've tried to photograph some little indentations I found. The belts held their shape when removed and the dents were where the tensioner rollers sat.
They've since gone more round and the dents seem less deep.

Is this why it's really bad to leave belts sitting for ages? Not only were the belts rather stiff and set in shape, but those little dents will probably bump the rollers every time they go round and cause some local heating and stress.
Needless to say I won't be re-fitting them even though the Exactfit belts on the Monster are going into their third year, but you see I use that one.

Incidentally, I just ordered new Ducati belts from Moto Rapido via eBay. They were only £39.50 posted, I don't think I've ever bought belts that cheap. Exactfit are £71. So dive in there quick if you need belts for a 750/600/620/800
Old 02-05-2023, 05:58 PM   #2
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Do new belts have a lifespan do you know? I've got a set still in their cardboard sleeve from Ducati but they must be 10+ years old but have never been fitted
Old 02-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
They should be fine if you have kept them coolish or at least at an even temperature and most importantly, out of light.
If I know I'm going to keep belts for while I just slip them out of the sleeve so they store in a more round shape.

I think I would probably buy new again after 10 years myself though. (How much did you spend on carbs?)
Old 02-05-2023, 10:41 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
Do new belts have a lifespan do you know? I've got a set still in their cardboard sleeve from Ducati but they must be 10+ years old but have never been fitted
I was wondering about this recently as I've had some Exactfit belts in the spares box for a couple of years. As with Mr G, I always store them out of the light and removed from their cardboard sleeve, so they're perfectly round at the moment.

I did a bit of a search online and found a quote on another forum from Chris at Ca Cycleworks in response to just this question.

"If the belts are stored in plastic and away from sunlight, they have an infinite shelf life. Our manufacturer/importer stores samples from every batch of product he orders then checks the belts every year. Every year, they have consistently stayed "fresh".

We do have EU and UK distributor via Stu at ExactUK.
"

These Exactfit belts have always been touted as having a three-year operational life but, since Ducati have apparently extended the service life of OE belts on some of the earlier models to five years, http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58960 I'm wondering if there's been any corresponding change to the recommended lifespan of the Exactfit belts. I must drop an email to Stu at Exact UK to see if he has any thoughts on the matter.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:16 AM   #5
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
I took my Exact fit off after 3 years and a few thousand miles. Looked basically mint. I could not see any damage. They did feel a bit stiffer than the new Exact belts but nothing serious...
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
They should be fine if you have kept them coolish or at least at an even temperature and most importantly, out of light.
If I know I'm going to keep belts for while I just slip them out of the sleeve so they store in a more round shape.

I think I would probably buy new again after 10 years myself though. (How much did you spend on carbs?)
Hahaha!

Whilst I'll buy some new ones the pile of bits I bought all those years ago included new belts and new tyres. Shame to chuck them away but better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
Dukedesmo

Personally, I think the hysteria over 2 year belt changes is just that, hysteria. I've left mine for 4 years before (though low mileage) and never seen any sign of impending doom and could probably have got another couple of years but 'bottled' it.

I think there were a few documented failures of 4V belts in the early days that prompted all this and that the belts in recent years are much improved.

However, to avoid any chance of catastrophic failure I wouldn't advise anyone to leave them too long, especially if you're not scrupulously checking them regularly.

As a bit of light entertainment, here's a picture of a cambelt that I recently had the pleasure of changing (along with all the valves) on my Son's car, it failed at around the recommended mileage for replacement though probably a couple of years past the time, note it didn't actually break and was still tight around the cams, it just lost it's teeth around the crank pulley.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:56 AM   #8
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

I have always thought that with desmo valve operation that the belts should have a relatively easy life compared to say a 16v car engine where 8 valve springs have to be compressed every revolution. The only possible downside in a Ducati application is the small radius of the camshaft jack shaft pulley and the comparatively tight radius of the tensioner pulleys, the tensioner pulleys on car engines tend to be about twice the diameter. The Ducati of course would probably also be revving slightly higher than a car engine as a general rule.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #9
Dukedesmo

They're certainly easier to turn than fully sprung cams as evidenced when doing valve checks and turning the cams by hand.

The downside, compared to most car engines for the belts is the heat, speed (up to twice as fast) and, in the case of a 4V the quite severe reverse bend angles over the tensioners.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:55 PM   #10
Leamreject

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post

Need to be stored out of sunlight, in a cool place & importantly away from items with electrical brushed motors such as fridge or freezers as the arcing from them causes ozone which accelerates rubber degradation.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #11
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leamreject View Post
Need to be stored out of sunlight, in a cool place & importantly away from items with electrical brushed motors such as fridge or freezers as the arcing from them causes ozone which accelerates rubber degradation.
For the price I'll get a new set and chuck both these and those on the motor now
Old 14-05-2023, 03:46 PM   #12
adie851

Bike: S4r
In the early days..90's... I used to change belts every two years.....now I do three to four years...so far so good.....like everyone says now.... Ducati have extended their service schedule for cambelts replacement to five years....better quality belts...? or just the same....be interesting to find out...thoughts people.... ?
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote