UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Back with a M900 series I

Well who would have thought within 6 months of selling my beloved M1100s to Mart64 I would have been back so quick with another bike. I am sure there were doubter's thinking I had Sold Out but I always said I have had all the fun of power now and want period and had my heart set on getting as early bike as I could afford when I could afford it. I actually did have a plan to try and get a natty boys old tricolor 600 but had no response there.
So it happened last Friday all by luck of browsing facebook on Ducati Proteams page where a few minutes previous an advert was posted of a customer selling a M900 for spares or repair £500. I instantly phoned up and spoke to the guy saying I will pop around after work and I want it whatever as people were sniffing around. I never realised at first it was a 1993 as the wheels and hoop were silver and thought maybe a 1995. Now the dilemma was that the engine may need its big ends doing and the guy couldn't afford to do it as he needed the bike to ride. I was and am ok as a 1993 bike is the one for me that I would prefer. I had a 1997 to begin with and I intend to keep it original.
So after getting the go ahead from Caroline we go and see the bike not 5 miles from me and instantly surprised how decent it is overall. New ohlins on the rear or mint condition anyhow. Tank is painted along with front mudguard and the hinge had been welded as had a leak. Its got all the right bits and not cut up other than heated grips and gold bar ends and a pair of missing rear indicators and tail light as replace with LED built in one. No seat cowl either. Deal was done after I asked to listen to the engine . It wasn't as bad as I thought tbh and have no issues to restore.
Picked the bike up Saturday night on the trailer and squeezed her in the garage safely and we were both really pleased.
Never got to do anything until Monday night and basically removing stuff unwanted and anything I can clean whilst keeping it able to run as it has to go to the garage and have an engine inspection to what needs doing or the best way to approach it.
Getting most of the stuff off with only 1 bolt breaking so far and all bolts nuts are original and will be replated and used again.
I will leave you with some images I took so far but this is a long term project over summer and winter even though MoT is until January it may not be done until next weekender possibly. Its going to be as it would be.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Old 03-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

So basically its a step by step task of improving whats on there. Limited budget as the engine is the cost here and the priority right now. I have no money to play with buying new other than cables where needed and that's why I cutting the rubber of the optional type footrests to reveal stock ones underneath. The carbon fibre is in good order generally but faded and the smoothness sucked out of it. Had 2 coats of lacquer so far and the gloss is coming back slowly. I have a rear light swapped for the LED and 2 correct discs what need a repaint coming too. Not sure about geting the seat cowl yet will have to hope it comes my way. Got correct Tomaselli grips bought. I do need a rear hanger 8mm thread big headed bolt if anyone has a spare as mine snapped getting it out and a front indicator mount bolt too with the flat cheese head m6.
I also need a couple of mudguard mount screws the large pan head ones as had 2 missing on the rear hugger.

Last edited by Albie; 03-06-2015 at 10:19 PM..
Old 03-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
No Albie, we all knew a s*******r would never be a substitute for a proper Monster and you'd be back pretty dam soon.

Welcome

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
No Albie, we all knew a s*******r would never be a substitute for a proper Monster and you'd be back pretty dam soon.

Welcome
I don't know what to say. The other bike wasn't meant to be a replacement . I never fell out of love for Monsters. Never will. The yellow bike is brilliant but I needed to build something or save for the right one that's old. Jim wouldn't sell me his even though I tried.

I have NO REGRETS at all. Happy with Monster and other bike.

Sorry for some reason they should all be open pictures ????

Oh and thanks matey . You know I love it here.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post

Sorry for some reason they should all be open pictures ????
Not your fault, for some reason we are not allowed to post pictures in the 'Bike Reviews' forum (along with the 'events' forum (& no embedded vids in the 'Technical' forum also!))?

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Not your fault, for some reason we are not allowed to post pictures in the 'Bike Reviews' forum (along with the 'events' forum (& no embedded vids in the 'Technical' forum also!))?

This needs sorting.. where's the webteam? And while they're at it- fix the damned PM text limits! VERY annoying when you have a lot of info to pass on and have to split it into three messages AND wait 60 seconds between sending each one. Come on - this is 2015 you know... My free forum that I made for myself and a group of friends can do all this. It's all in the Admin's control panel...

Stil wondering if the knocking is the big ends or the alternator bolt.... 25k ain't a lot even for a Ducati. My 93er has 46k and is solid...

I think the yellow is the same. Someone doing a rebuild recently repainted their hoop yellow and it looked fine.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #8
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
This needs sorting.. where's the webteam?...
The web team is Slob. I thought we had all got over the personal attacks on the webteam

If you have another forum, then how about helping Rob with this one? He has asked for help in the past.

You seem well placed to be able to help.

Nice bike Albie, welcome back
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #9
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
This needs sorting.. where's the webteam? And while they're at it- fix the damned PM text limits! VERY annoying when you have a lot of info to pass on and have to split it into three messages AND wait 60 seconds between sending each one. Come on - this is 2015 you know... My free forum that I made for myself and a group of friends can do all this. It's all in the Admin's control panel...
Oh give over.

And, we knew you'd be back Albie, to be fair you never really went away.

Good luck with the project, if you need any technical help.... Don't ask JP or Steve
Old 03-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #10
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Nice one Andy, I knew you'd soon sort another one, now don't be rushing to get it finished remember the scrambler is your first love at the moment.

And have a great time at the TT with the rest of the gang...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Oh ok. I have a blog going anyhow. I just wanted to say Hellooo I can feel a part again. Man arn't the old ones heavy though. Its such low down weight and lower bars but I don't intend to keep pushing it.

Let me tell you that what I like about the old one is the solidness of it and not fancy. Its a bit weird going around in a circle and coming back to the start and at the same time being happy with it. I just hope it doesn't require too much on the engine side because I want to get all the pony's back what may have disappeared.
Have to get the frame painted in bronze and no way getting it powdercoated as there is no colour even close. Wheels will be black satin powder coat and if I can get hoop done a close match that too. Is the hoop the same as the shock springs or lighter shade does anyone know.
My bike it seems have may came from possibly the same shop as Space monkeys in Welling @ AyeGee motorcycles as we have similar reg plates.
Not sure if the early model which is a cagiva component clutch cover has a rubber gasket seal like the later steel versions as mine seems to have rub marks inside but possibly clutch over packed which could have been the noise clanking. I will have to wait and see.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hey, Albie, welcome back to full monsterdom.
That was a pleasant surprise.

May I be so bold as to make a suggestion ?
If it was my choice (and it isn't, its yours.. but if it was) I'd resist the temptation to rebuild it to "as it came out of the factory" spec. but instead build it more "as they would have, if not for market economics".
In other words, I would for example have no truck with re-plating old bolts or buying new oem spec plated ones, but instead would without question replace all with stainless, alloy or titanium as and where appropriate.
That kind of thing.
I suspect that this bike might be a keeper, so you might as well build it the way you want it yourself, rather than to factory spec ....?
Not so much how it would have been, more like how it should have been.
Arguably, that's the true spirit of monster anyway, perhaps.
Anyway, that's sticking my nose in a bit and so, to level things up, I will offer you all (or at least any that you should need) of the original bolts from my 750 which I have replaced so far ....should you be set on a foolhardy plan for originality.
They're all individually bagged and labelled, and mostly not furry at all.

You were never gone, but welcome back anyway.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Hey, Albie, welcome back to full monsterdom.
That was a pleasant surprise.

May I be so bold as to make a suggestion ?
If it was my choice (and it isn't, its yours.. but if it was) I'd resist the temptation to rebuild it to "as it came out of the factory" spec. but instead build it more "as they would have, if not for market economics".
In other words, I would for example have no truck with re-plating old bolts or buying new oem spec plated ones, but instead would without question replace all with stainless, alloy or titanium as and where appropriate.
That kind of thing.
I suspect that this bike might be a keeper, so you might as well build it the way you want it yourself, rather than to factory spec ....?
Not so much how it would have been, more like how it should have been.
Arguably, that's the true spirit of monster anyway, perhaps.
Anyway, that's sticking my nose in a bit and so, to level things up, I will offer you all (or at least any that you should need) of the original bolts from my 750 which I have replaced so far ....should you be set on a foolhardy plan for originality.
They're all individually bagged and labelled, and mostly not furry at all.

You were never gone, but welcome back anyway.
My kind of thinking too - keep the looks which were 100% spot-on first time around and update the chassis / engine where technically and financially possible.

Ben
Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
Looks good Albie, about the same value as the carbon seat unit of the other bike...

Good find, pleased for you mate.

A competition winner for next year maybe? You are getting good are turning older machines into shiny masterpieces

Don't forget to tailchop it though

Im looking forward to the rebuild

(and please stop ruining the thread with off topic comments)
Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksurfer View Post
Looks good Albie, about the same value as the carbon seat unit of the other bike...

Good find, pleased for you mate.

A competition winner for next year maybe? You are getting good are turning older machines into shiny masterpieces

Don't forget to tailchop it though

Im looking forward to the rebuild

(and please stop ruining the thread with off topic comments)
Lol yes indeed. Its ok Martin . I wont be doing it for that reason particularly but wouldn't say NO to any award except for the bike I sold to Mart64 where he was adamant I should look after it.
Specifically no chopping I am afraid , boring I know and never though I would ever be so keen to put bits back on . I did however buy another bike to customise at my leisure and pleasure ( you know that yellow and black thing lol ) and that suffices to me enough to make me poor.
Amongst getting the other bike fuelled and loaded up like a mule I generally finished the footrests cutting all the rubber off and poling them up. Just some intricate picking in some grooves to do when I get another hour.
I lost out on the 2 seat cowls on Gumtree and that's a shame. I still need one in a state of reasonable repair if anyone can help and have a pair of new carbon side panels if you want a swap or some fat bars from a streetfighter.
My tomaselli grips arrived though and very nice too.
Now no fighting when I am away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: