UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
tricolore

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I always fancied doing an early 900M with white frame, black wheels, white lettering with yellow hoop like the 1992 888 ...... don't know why just fancied it, one day !!
tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
https://youtu.be/1PZd0G28ruA

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Engine has gone to Hospital

After a little progress over the weekend generally cleaning more parts from the bike and finding some old parts that may be useful if I cannot easily repair threads on lock stop on lower yoke as I have a 1997 one to hand in A1 condition.

The parts bucket is now full and piled in as many useful bolts and nuts and washers I could clean up in case they help out. I also managed to get the correct size hanger bolt for free as to the one Slob kindly donated to me but larger hole. It will still get re-plated and be offered to anyone who needs one as a freebie.

I have coming a nice pair of throttle cables from ebay to replace my usable but tired coating ones. I may also have a better pair of early exhausts tonight for £20-25 if Mart64 manages to do a deal that will need less work than mine to clean up but I will still finish them as these ones will be M600 ones. I do believe they will fit the same if not I will have pair for sale soon. All the rod ends should arrive shortly and have already got the steering ones here. Just need the wheel ones and cush drive ordered.

This afternoon I got Al from Pro Team Ducati asking if and when he should piclk up my engine to go to the hospital of engines in Surrey. I said after work I will drop it in so lifted the unit into the back of my car and dropped it down. My original plan was to get all the bolts plated before but tbh it doesn't matter really as it will be stripped, assessed and works carried out and then will come back to Al and then I can paint and get bolts off to plating and then will go back to Al for further service work ie belts and he can tighten it all up when all fresh.

It may be 1 -2 months for the engine work which gives me time to get frame painted and wheels done but they are due to be taken in 2 weeks time. So around a month turnaround back to me.

It also gives me time to build my bike table for rebuilding them on. I already have the frame cut and just need some plates welded on the U section so it can be bolted and unbolted if needed and can work on top of my bike lift to lower it down at a sensible height for the ramp to be used.
I just need to figure out a wheel chock or clamp system to keep a bike steady once rolling.

Last edited by Albie; 13-07-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Can someone with an early monster show me a pic of the righthand side around the side panel area at what I believe to be some round unit possibly a fuel tap. Cannot make it out properly but I have a bracket there to what a ss fuel tap has been poorly attached by bending at 90 degrees.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Darkness

Sounds like the fuel filter mounting. There's a tab on the frame that holds a rubber mount for the filter itself.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Sounds like the fuel filter mounting. There's a tab on the frame that holds a rubber mount for the filter itself.
Did they not have one inboard then. Interesting. I need to check the tank inside. These early bikes have lots of quirky stuff fitted different.

I got some better exhausts for £25 I think the price paid but no pics yet.

Ah this but needs a rubber surround then

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/17175...f14=108&ff19=0
Old 13-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Darkness

Take a look at the Stein Dinse web site.

They have the '93 parts book which shows what was fitted, but the gummi halter is out of stock at the moment.
Old 14-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I have a fuel filter bolted under the tank and is new looking. I will just mount the tap more professionally and be done there.
I have the exhausts , well Mart64 has them and all good apparently and seen the pics . I struck gold there so have a pair of early logo ones for spare or sale if needed.

This is the damage which is dressable with ease

So tonight with more room now to swing the cat I started tidying and organising all my parts and bagging as much as I could and went through all the plating and found some more that I missed too. I will be spending the next few nights cleaning the brake calipers and removing the guide pins for plating if poor.
Found many more elephants even on the rubber tie straps .

Enjoying this project very much now and I also got my rose joints but had to search high and low for one of the bushes you need to reuse.
Old 15-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Brake calipers

Well I thought they may clean up with some good cleaner as generally were not too bad but they had patches of grot here and there and the bottoms were badly stained black. I did clean them up as best as I could prior to making a decision but firstly I stripped the pins out and found 2 of them had no pin clip in them. I cleaned up all 3 of the sliding pins for plating and cleaned up the spring clips too but obviously the main ones are stainless anyhow, The smaller one needed a good wire wheel dressing .
The pads are good at least and the pistons went back freely. As I said before I would have like to have plated and cleaned the caliper bolts but I never again tried to undo them.

After a bit of cleaning still not great

So having some very similar colour enamel paint I attempted a bit more of a clean up firstly on the rear caliper and very pleased with the result.

Then on to the front one and the comparison is good.

I have just completed the final front one and they are looking very decent now. The paints quick drying but will possibly give another light coat and let it cure for a week or so before rubbing back the lettering of BREMBO and then lacquer them over and once fitted back with new fittings will be good again. Its a shame about the bolts but at least they are not rusty.
Old 15-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #10
Darkness

That's a nice set of '93 casting date stamps you've got there. More original bits.
Old 15-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
That's a nice set of '93 casting date stamps you've got there. More original bits.
Yes she is technically 93 but just 94 registered. I can live with that.
Old 16-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Coming along nicely!!! You have been busy whilst I have been away messing on 'other' bikes. I've got my heads back so will have to crack on with mine again. Still sorting the VFR for now as that is easier and the every day rider at the mo'.

Your engine looks very clean, had it been repainted? And damn you and your easily removed engine bolts...

Funny how the older original members seem to be getting 93/94 bikes...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 05:47 AM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Coming along nicely!!! You have been busy whilst I have been away messing on 'other' bikes. I've got my heads back so will have to crack on with mine again. Still sorting the VFR for now as that is easier and the every day rider at the mo'.

Your engine looks very clean, had it been repainted? And damn you and your easily removed engine bolts...

Funny how the older original members seem to be getting 93/94 bikes...
If you remember 11 years ago we were contemplating swapping tanks etc. It's full circle. Engines been repainted poorly and cheaply and will be cleaned and redone once engine sorted.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bloody hell- it was you was it? I do remember I was very tempted..

Damn, I still wish I'd picked up a black tank/cowl and mudguard back when they were more commonly available.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Update for July

So we are 8 weeks in now and bikes coming along slower now but very pleasing.

Today I cleaned the exhausts I got from Gumtree for £25 and they look really decent and even the scrape isn't so bad.
Here is before

And now with a tiny bit of cleaner and removed the brackets too before. and a little file of the burr on the scrape.

The scrape

Got myself a mirror and spare body to replace the odd one with Datatag writing on.

And got some correct length clutch springs.