UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Any insurance experts out there ? 3rd party claim on my policy after i sold the bike

Old 18-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
zxebeast

Any insurance experts out there ? 3rd party claim on my policy after i sold the bike

basically i sold the monster about a month ago but my insurance (TP, F&T) expires on the 27th of this month.

now i got a letter saying that there was an incident reported by the 3rd party on the 16th of this month. Not involving me obviously.

i got DVLA notification on the 3rd of july that i was not the registered keeper anymore.

has anyone got any experience in this sort of thing ? it mustn't be very usual.

bunch of thanks in advance
Old 18-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I cant see how you can be involved at all. The vehicle not registered to you when incident occurred.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not your problem mate, tell them to talk to the now owner.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
zxebeast

yeah you are right i wasnt involved at all. the question is whether the new owner wants to involve me/my policy to avoid losing the no claims bonus.

whoever it was he was able to get to my insurers to report the incident/make a claim. obviously through the registration number of the bike that was/is linked to my policy.

i just wanna know how much of a **** around this is gonna be, since i havent been able to get in touch with my insurers to tell them yet that i wasn't involved
Old 18-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
zxebeast

hi slob, yeah i will do so.

the letter wasn't from the third party. it was from my insurers asking me to give them all the details about the incident. obivously i have nothing to report about any incident
Old 18-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It has nothing to do with you! Don't let the new owner or anyone else try to persuade you otherwise, the second they bought the bike from you (2 weeks before the incident according to the DVLA paperwork you have as legal proof) THEIR insurance was THEIR responsibility. It doesn't matter that a policy in your name exists for that reg, the new owner is still legally required to have 3rd party cover to use the vehicle on a public road. Your insurance company has a 24 hour claims line whoever they are, look it up, call them and refer them to the DVLA. It's not your problem!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
zxebeast

i am not worried about what the third party may claim. i just dont know how much of a p1ss around its gonna be. dont wanna lose my NCB!

i know insurers use any excuse to put a premium up, and they all share the details of our most trivial things like this.

phones not answering. its ENSIGN, done thru ducati insurance BTW
Old 18-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Paivi

Why did you not cancel the insurance?
Old 18-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Kiwi

its nothing to do with you

contact your insurance company with copies of the change of ownership

contact the third party and request that they contact the new owner

keep copies of all correspondence and get proof of postage/ recorded delivery for any letters sent to them