UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 1000 DS engine query

Old 05-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
dacs

Bike: Multiple Monsters
1000 DS engine query

My M1000Sie needs some tlc to the engine paint (I may be understating the case here), so step 1 will be the side cases and valve covers during this garage season. I have a spare pair of cam cover plates that might as well be sprayed at the same time, per this photo -

and so to a question that I am embarrassed to have to ask but not as embarrassed as I will be if I don't ask and screw something up - can these covers be removed and replaced without disturbing the contents of the cambox, especially the camshaft?
Old 05-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Yes!

Be aware there's an o-ring that fits around the flange. Check the condition and replace if necessary. Lube it before replacing.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
dacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Yes!

Be aware there's an o-ring that fits around the flange. Check the condition and replace if necessary. Lube it before replacing.
Thank you sir, you're a gentleman. I checked the o-rings when I removed them and they look as if they are reusable.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
slob

they are reusable with the usual caveats about damage, a light smear of grease when refitting helps avoid problems
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I note you say the end caps are spares - do you know what model they came from? I only ask because when Ducati changed the cam design, they also changed the cam end caps. Although the new caps are the same design and look identical externally, the depth of the flange is a few millimetres more.

So, if you don't know the origins of your spare caps, check them against the originals to make sure they are identical.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #6
slob

The depth of the flange is the critical dimension, as that’s what ‘centres’ the camshaft.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
dacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I note you say the end caps are spares - do you know what model they came from? I only ask because when Ducati changed the cam design, they also changed the cam end caps. Although the new caps are the same design and look identical externally, the depth of the flange is a few millimetres more.

So, if you don't know the origins of your spare caps, check them against the originals to make sure they are identical.
Ha, never straightforward with Ducati, is it? I think I'm OK, they were advertised as coming from a 1000 or 1100 DS Multistrada, and they carry a part number that is the same as that on the part fiche for the M1000 (all model years). But I'll check anyway, thanks for the info, and thanks Slob for the additional info.