UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » About to start a 750 refresh...

Old 03-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #76
davkyt

Yes. I've only loosened the centre pinch bolt

Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #77
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
one of these or similar
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...impact-wrench/
It was the only thing that would shift my crankshaft pinion nut, also useful for clutch centre nut
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #78
davkyt

Phase #1.... Done

Old 10-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #79
dk1six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Remember that airbox wont come out until you remove ignition switch. Early bike had a plate stamped to rear of frame near side pod . Remember how the throttle cables are passed through and the way the wiring is routed. It really does matter and sometimes it really makes more sense.

AND DONT FORGET THAT ENGINE TO FRAME EARTH LOCKNUT ON THE RIGHT HAND FOOTREST HANGER BOLT...
If possible take pictures of parts or configurations prior to removing or disassembling so you can go back and look at them later when you're trying to remember "how did that go"?

This has worked for me in the past leaving me feeling relieved that I had a pic or two "on that".
Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #80
davkyt

Well. I took hundreds of photos..... I wish I'd taken some written notes tho.....

Got a massive dog cancer vets bill hanging over our heads atm so the project has gone on hold again until we get a decision from the insurance company.

We're still only in May tho so fingers crossed I can get everything sorted and put back together this year
Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #81
dk1six

Photos are indispensable I know they've saved me lots of time over the years not to mention the headache of "now how did that go".

Sorry to hear about your dog I wish you the best and hope it works out positive for you.

I have two dogs a ten and a fifteen yr old and don't allow myself to think they won't be around some day. Maybe that will be harder in the end I don't know.
Old 13-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #82
davkyt

Can someone please remind we what the rivet is called that in on the swing arm that the rear mud guard attaches to?
I’m sending it for powder coating and need to replace the broken one that is in there

Also.... how do I get the old one out that just spins?
And
Do I need a special tool to get the new one in ?
Old 13-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #83
Darkness

They are called WellNuts: there are lots of suppliers on eBuy and similar.
Check if they are for M5 or M6 bolts?

Drill the flange off and push them through the hole into the swing arm.

I don’t have them on my swingarm, but that worked for the similar ones holding the side panels to the frame.
Old 13-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #84
dk1six

I cant picture the rivet but when i can't name a part correctly i go on line to ducati Omaha to their extensive parts catalogues. I've gone as far back as my 96 SS I'm sure there might be similar resources where you are.

As far as removing the old rivet when I've had one spin on me I've used a couple size larger drill bit and enough force to catch it. This has worked for me but you have to be careful of the surface beneath the head. The other option is a small bit drilling down inside the rivet and then progressively go up a size or two until you get it.

A good rivet gun should put the new rivet back in and if possible try to practice rivet first on a similar metal thickness if you can.
Old 13-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #85
dk1six

Oh well nuts , you can still drill it out and they're readily available on line
Old 13-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #86
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1six View Post
A good rivet gun should put the new rivet back in and if possible try to practice rivet first on a similar metal thickness if you can.
You don’t need a rivet gun for these.

Well Nuts are “top hat” shaped rubber cylinders with an integral brass nut at the far end. They should be a sliding fit into the hole until the bolt is torqued up: the axial load causes the rubber to swell [Youngs Modulus rings a bell?] and that causes friction to grip the swingarm.
Old 13-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #87
Darkness

Or was it Poisson’s Ratio?
Old 13-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #88
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
It was Poisson's ratio.
But more to the point ..
I think we're talking at crossed purposes here.
The items in question are solid metal threaded inserts, not composite rubber and brass..... yes ?
These are called rivnuts, not wellnuts.
And yes, you are supposed to fit them using a dedicated, special tool which kinda crimps them in place although it is possible to fit them using a nut and draw-bolt arrangement .. have a look on youtube.

If the old one is spinning, you'll need to fix it somehow before drilling it out.
The best way to do this would probably be by re-crimping it ... in which case once its solid you may not need to change it after all.
Another way might be to "stake" it with a centrepunch, but re-crimping makes more sense.
Or you may be able to grab it from inside with long nosed pliers to hold it while you drill, but that's probably a long shot.

If you do decide to remove it, you'll need an accurately sized drill in order to cut through the rivnut without damaging the hole that its in .. otherwise the new one won't tighten up when you fit it.
Although the rivnut will tolerate a small variation in hole size .. it'll just need crimping a bit further if you haven't gone too much bigger with the drill.

If you do replace it, you might as well fit a stainless one rather than a plain, plated steel one.

Oh, and I've just remembered, there are two types of rivnut .. one with a flanged head and the other with a countersunk head.
I believe you want the latter (so it lies flush with the surface when fitted) but remove the old one and have a look before ordering.

Final option, I have a spare steel swingarm from a yr2000 750, since I fitted an ally swinger to mine.
Might be more economical to use that instead of buying the rivnut crimping tool etc (its going cheap if you're interested and I'm just down the road in Leicester).
Its in good nick but needs new paint.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #89
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I think we're talking at crossed purposes here.
The items in question are solid metal threaded inserts, not composite rubber and brass..... yes ?
These are called rivnuts, not wellnuts..
Thanks for clearing that up. As I said, I don’t have that fitment of hugger on mine so assumed it was the same as side panels.

Out of interest, any idea why it needs Rivnuts there rather than WellNuts?
The later front mudguards suffice with four plastic straps to hold them on.
Old 13-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #90
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I would say just because the hugger is a larger, heavier item, subject to a little more shock loading and also fitted very close to the wheel.
That is to say, it needs to have a positive fixing and be nice and rigid.
Sidepanels are really just lightweight, decorative items
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote