UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 1994 M900 starter

Old 09-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Jona

Cool 1994 M900 starter

Hi All
my M900's latest trick has me wondering...
She started and ran fine, but when I pulled in for fuel, about 5 miles on, the engine would not stop turning. eventually stalling it on the brakes, but it took ages! It also started making a tortured metal kinda noise. When I whipped the tank up, I found the live cable from the battery to starter was red hot and melting its solder in the terminal!

I'm guessing the starter has jammed and just keeps turning the motor when connected to the battery, but a wee voice in the back of my mind keeps saying its a Sprague issue which is all new to me .Either way, I have to remove the generator cover, so any advice on tools, techniques etc would be very helpful.

Thanks and enjoy the riding weather
Old 09-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Nasher

Bike: M900
The starter solenoid(Relay) sits between the battery and starter motor in that cable, and for current to flow it must be activated, either because it's jammed itself or a rogue feed through the wiring is keeping it activated.

I'd check it first.

The Sprag clutch could however now be Fubar anyway because of the other issue.

Nasher

Last edited by Nasher; 09-07-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Jona

Thanks Nasher
I'll check the solenoid, but I've had look around and cant find one for less than £50!
Surely there's a cheaper alternative, it's only a switch after all.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
mks

I bought one a few weeks ago off Ebay.
Cost me £44

Mark
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
Thanks Nasher
I'll check the solenoid, but I've had look around and cant find one for less than £50!
Surely there's a cheaper alternative, it's only a switch after all.
Anyone got any suggestions?
They are around £28 brand new from a main dealer, I bought one a couple of months ago. Give Moto Rapido a call, they will post it to you and also give you 10% off if you tell them you are a UKMOC member.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Jona

Thanks Zimbo. Just ordered one....now just praying the sprag isn't toast!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Nasher

Did you check the old one?

It was a suggestion, not a definitive answer.
I did also say it could be a rogue feed keeping it activated, so you might still have the same issue when you connect the new one and turn the ignition on.

Nasher.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
If the cable to the battery itself was hot, then current must have been flowing through it from (or to) the starter, which means the relay must have been closed.

If the relay were open, the starter might still be able to spin freely (ie. there's a mechanical fault keeping it engaged), but no current could flow from it to (or from) the battery, and the battery cable couldn't possibly get hot.

I've no doubt that your starter relay is toast. Hopefully the motor itself isn't, though I wouldn't rule it out, given that it'll have severely overheated.

Change the relay and see how you get on. If it won't start, you may need a new motor.
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Jona

Cheers Andy, I got a relay from MotoRapido (nice folks, nice ukmoc discount too!) and will try that first as I'm not really looking forward to removing the generator case if I don't need to.

I take your point Nasher and have taken the precaution of replacing the yellow relay under the seat too. Having read a few messages on our American equivalent site, I'll clean up all the earth points too.