UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » "Biker Cafes"

Old 11-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
"Biker Cafes"

No, not recommendations.

Although it is quite agreeable to stop, have a look around at assorted two-wheelers & chat to their owners...………….

But, why is it deemed acceptable to offer sh1t instant coffee or a teabag in a plastic cup just because the customers have arrived on two wheels?

I don't drink the stuff at home, why should I be expected to part with good money for such muck when I am out? (not to mention horrible greasy burgers etc.)

I have ridden in Italy & France & getting a proper coffee & a quality bite to eat at a reasonable price is rarely a problem. Rossi's place in Tavullia being a prime example.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
Ron1000

A lot of these places will be run cheap. Can’t imagine there is a huge profit margin in them. Out with ace cafe etc.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Oily Rag in Gloucester does reasonable non-instant coffee. It is more of a lifestyle place with branded clothing though AND only open on weekends.
The boss and wife are usually there and are nice people.

But I do agree, after another brief continental jaunt the coffee is just globally better than here and usually at the same or lower price.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You've probably noticed that the Norfolk breakfast meets move around a bit. We do this to try and cover the large area of Norfolk and the adjoining Counties that have no representation.
There's a number of popular "biker" meets that cater for the stereotypes, but I try hard to avoid these. (Although we are going to Ramsey next month!.)
We try and find good quality Cafes and Tea Rooms, preferably at a place of interest. Over the years we have found a few gems, which we tend to return to.. Almost a recognisable circuit now! Theses are judged on the merit of their Full English breakfasts and good vegetarian options, Coffee is secondary and I have to admit to not having very high expectations, but it's generally okay, you can't go far wrong with a Latte.

It's quite amusing sometimes to observe the other stereotypes that populate some of the venues. Cyclists are the funniest with their lycra, tales of cycling bravado and road rage. We've encountered bird watchers and church goers too, but none really beat the "bikers" with their Harleys and UJMs, although the "lifestyle" crowd, or Hipster 2@s come close..

Look further afield and don't expect too much of coffee that someone else has made..
Old 12-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Instant coffee is NOT coffee, it is a highly processed hot liquid, very, very remotely resembling coffee. In the UK I always make a point of asking for proper coffee at establishments that do not look as though they sell it and then refusing to order any instant coffee alternative, just to put in the mind of the owner that they could have sold me some proper coffee.
One of the absolute pleasures of continental bike tours is the mid-morning stop in the cafe to get an exquisite cup of real coffee (particularly in Italy).
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Beats me how they get away with it, Abergavenny bus station is a case in point, attracts a hell of a lot of bikers in the summer and they charge £1.50 for instant coffee in a small polystyrene cup, yet just a couple of hundred yards up the high street real coffee can be had for £1 to £1.50 in a large cardboard cup, seems to me that most bikers are just too lazy to walk.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Serve me a drink like this, and I'll empty it in your crotch..

Old 12-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Uncle Bob

Doubtless there are the kinds of biker places who serve decent 'proper' coffee and a brie & bacon panini, but I don't know of any round here.

You can rock up to any number of greasy spoons, transport cafes, bike shops with a resident snack wagon etc. but sadly the quality is all about the same, which can usually be classified as 'just about fit for human consumption'. Personally I'd sooner go without.

Thing is though, I can't imagine the afformentioned typical Harley rider asking for a panini (well, not in earshot of all the other hardcore accountants, I mean, gangsters in the Stoke Poges chapter of the Hells Angels) so they probably partake just to fit in. And as long as people buy that kind of swill they'll keep serving it.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Coffee! I live on it! Six to eight cups a day - Dowe Egberts Arabica strength 4.
Proper 'filter' coffee in cup size 'pots' just pour on boiling (just) water and it filters into your cup.
Add suger and fresh cream to taste. Hypermotard I call it!

Thought this was a motor cycle club!
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

It's not as if I'm expecting otters noses or jaguars nipples, just decent food & drink at an appropriate price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WboggjN_G-4
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
It's not as if I'm expecting otters noses or jaguars nipples, just decent food & drink at an appropriate price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WboggjN_G-4
I'll see you and I'll raise you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJIvLmQM2so

This thread took a left turn didn't it
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #12
FLATTOP

Always been a reasonable place but I don’t touch coffee any more so can’t vouch for it but the teas good.

http://www.originalteahut.com/
Old 12-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
Moley1

Bike: M1200s
I found a new one in Bedfordshire recently: https://boydsofbedford.com
Biker oriented and I can vouch for proper coffee and a good one at that!
Moley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #14
Doggy

Bike: M796
I like instant coffee, that other stuff is far too strong. Mind you I'm a southern softie and also enjoy a shandy, not that warm dark brown ale stuff. Lol
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #15
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Thank you bigredduke!

Took me back a few years - tears are now rolling down my cheeks.

Glad to know some folk had or still have a SOH !!!!!!
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote