UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My bikes, part five.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Thanks lads, I was considering getting an earlier monster but at 6'3" I think the 900's are a bit too small (although I have never ridden one) so was thinking about an 1100 evo. But I have a few more ideas on what's next.
First of all, nice collection- not all to my taste if I am honest but I wish I had a garage big enough to keep them all in (mine is like a jigsaw puzzle of bikes and tools) and a great review of each too.

I think as others have said the earlier bikes may feel rather small compared to your existing bikes (and indeed to almost all current large capacity models) but they do seem to 'fit' a varied size and shape of rider pretty well although the handling may feel quite 'sketchy' to what you have become accustomed to as well.

Also worth bearing in mind is that out of all the original shapes the 'easier to live with' fuel injected models are getting on in years now and will almost certainly need more attention to keep in good order than a newer modern bike. This fact is even more apparent if you decided to go for an even earlier bike with carbs- they don't really like being left too long and aren't so much of a 'hop on and go' kind of bike.

What you do get though is the start of the Monster line, an undiluted, very 'organic' riding experience with only around 80 bhp. 180Kgs and no rider aides what so ever. With the suspension sorted and decent tyres you feel everything going on underneath you not to mention ease of maintenance and relatively low running costs (especially if you do your own servicing) along with a bike that has most likely plateaued in value and may well be on the increase if investment is your thing. It isn't mine- bikes should be ridden not just looked at.

And I think that is why there are so many long term owners or people who have owned them in the past returning to those early bikes so you probably should try one anyway even if it is a case of 'never meet your Heroes'.

On a personal note, even after almost twenty years of owning my 900 I still love it as much if not more than ever. It doesn't get ragged these days quite as much as it used to but holds it's own on the right roads as well as still looking (in my opinion) bloody lovely, which when I pop in the garage on those rainy days when I don't want to ride is enough to make me smile.

Last edited by Flip; 03-07-2019 at 12:19 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #17
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Could not have said it better - Well put!
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #18
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
First of all, nice collection- not all to my taste if I am honest but I wish I had a garage big enough to keep them all in (mine is like a jigsaw puzzle of bikes and tools) and a great review of each too.

I think as others have said the earlier bikes may feel rather small compared to your existing bikes (and indeed to almost all current large capacity models) but they do seem to 'fit' a varied size and shape of rider pretty well although the handling may feel quite 'sketchy' to what you have become accustomed to as well.

Also worth bearing in mind is that out of all the original shapes the 'easier to live with' fuel injected models are getting on in years now and will almost certainly need more attention to keep in good order than a newer modern bike. This fact is even more apparent if you decided to go for an even earlier bike with carbs- they don't really like being left too long and aren't so much of a 'hop on and go' kind of bike.

What you do get though is the start of the Monster line, an undiluted, very 'organic' riding experience with only around 80 bhp. 180Kgs and no rider aides what so ever. With the suspension sorted and decent tyres you feel everything going on underneath you not to mention ease of maintenance and relatively low running costs (especially if you do your own servicing) along with a bike that has most likely plateaued in value and may well be on the increase if investment is your thing. It isn't mine- bikes should be ridden not just looked at.

And I think that is why there are so many long term owners or people who have owned them in the past returning to those early bikes so you probably should try one anyway even if it is a case of 'never meet your Heroes'.

On a personal note, even after almost twenty years of owning my 900 I still love it as much if not more than ever. It doesn't get ragged these days quite as much as it used to but holds it's own on the right roads as well as still looking (in my opinion) bloody lovely, which when I pop in the garage on those rainy days when I don't want to ride is enough to make me smile.

Thanks for that Flip. I know what you mean about the older bikes, I love my Speedtriple which has no rider aids and is easy to service. It makes its relatively low power lower down the rev range than it's modern equivalent which makes it more useable to me and every now and again I just plug in my laptop and check the injectors and system with tune-ecu.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #19
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I manage fine on the M900 and I’m 6’ 3”.

Having said that, I also like the Elefant which is just a little taller at the saddle.

Try one, it’s how it suits you that matters?
That's another elephant there then.
Tbh I always thought early monsters small. I since have changed my thoughts since fitting the online and actually thinking more they squat because suspension to soft or knackered.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #20
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
That's another elephant there then.
Tbh I always thought early monsters small. I since have changed my thoughts since fitting the online and actually thinking more they squat because suspension to soft or knackered.
I think he means

not

... I also think your autocorrect thinks ‘Ohlins’ is spelt ‘online’

Last edited by slob; 03-07-2019 at 12:53 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #21
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I think he means

not

... I also think your autocorrect thinks ‘Ohlins’ is spelt ‘online’
That’s the one, though mine is a blue E750.

Quite a challenge to get your feet on the floor at 6’ 3”!

I’m fond of the Lucky Explorer livery, even though it is promoting cigarettes.

Last edited by Darkness; 03-07-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #22
LCjohnny-again

Interestingly i bought my 1200s (2015) after my wife and I had a long back to back test with a Diavel and a BMW r1200r she found the Monster more comfortable than the others. We are now trying to make it 6-hour-comfortable

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: