UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Recommended Brembo supplier

Old 16-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Recommended Brembo supplier

Having suffered from warped discs, ("fluctuation of brake effort" per MOT), I looked around for suitable replacements.

A pair of standard discs from Moto Rapido would be £480 so I thought I'd look at a pair of Serie Oro discs instead. They are supposedly a better quality than the standard Brembos and, if they cost less than £488, that would be a bonus.

If you shop around, you'll find a pair of Serie Oro discs for £440 at HPS or £410 at Bike Torque Racing. If you're prepared to look abroad, they can be had for around £295.

However, last year I bought two pairs of Brembo SA sintered pads for £54 from this ebay shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WSC-Perform...p2047675.l2563, which I thought was great value. So I thought I'd try there for the discs.

Although they weren't shown in the ebay shop, I emailed simon@wscperformance.co.uk and he ordered them specially and delivered them just a week later for only £285.

Serie Oro, left - OE, right

So, if you're in need of any Brembo items, I'd thoroughly recommend giving Simon a try.

Last edited by Luddite; 28-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: postimage link updated
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
A worthwhile cost saving.
How do the weights compare: The Oro looks a little heavier in the web design and has fewer and smaller holes in the disc itself?
Old 16-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
A worthwhile cost saving.
How do the weights compare: The Oro looks a little heavier in the web design and has fewer and smaller holes in the disc itself?
Yes, I thought they'd be heavier too but, in fact, they're lighter:

1505g Serie Oro
1633g OE

Money saved and weight saved too! Can't be bad.
Old 16-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Money saved and weight saved too! Can't be bad.
That's a result.

Weight saving usually costs dear, especially on unsprung spinning components!

Ask the guys with the carbon wheels what the cost per gramme weight reduction is........?
Old 16-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
That is a result so now to the elephant in room what did they mean by this?

"fluctuation of brake effort" per MOT

Of course you fluctuate your brake effort. You apply brakes to slow down, stop, brake in emergency all have different brake efforts but also you may start by applying lightly to apply more to then decide nope lightly is ok.

I often brake a bit to then have a car slam on brakes so I do same to then see that I can either go around or car starts going. Never in my life had warped discs.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
What they mean is that the retardation of the disc fluctuates with a constant lever pressure.
It is a misconception that warped discs cause this. Much has been written on this subject.
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have had properly warped Brembos. I checked them with a dial gauge.

I replaced them with Arashi discs for less than half the price of pretty much anything else. They have been brilliant.

They can tell a warped disc by the oscillations of the needle on the MOT brake-o-meter. Although it is possible for a slightly warped disc to operate smoothly if it is a floating type.

If a bike is left wet and stationary for a while, the moisture trapped by the pads, can form patches of very slight corrosion, even on stainless discs.
As these patches run through the pads they can cause a feeling (and effect) just like warped discs. After the pads have shined the discs up a bit, the patches will be practically invisible, but still causing the warp effect.

I have found that the best cure for this is to wind the old girl up to a healthy lick, and brake quite hard, but smoothly and for as long as possible at a steady pressure.
Don't come squealing to a halt, but let the pressure off gently whilst still rolling.
One good pull from an unquotable speed should do the trick. Repeat as necessary..
Old 16-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
standard brembos are crud always warp i have replaced those on my S4 with Arahis and they are brilliant and on my M750 i put Galfers

my 27 year old 750ss has original brembo discs but they seem of better quality than the later ones and slightly thicker by 1mm
Old 16-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Strange, I have never suffered from warped discs, not when racing, track daying hard road riding.
May be it’s the way I brake, hard and short ????
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
Strange, I have never suffered from warped discs, not when racing, track daying hard road riding.
May be it’s the way I brake, hard and short ????
Nope nor me- at least not knowingly, there might have an occasion when I was too young to care or notice on some shed I was thrashing around on at the time but most old bikes had discs so thick they would have had to have been seriously abused or whacked to have warped I would think.

Only problem I have had disc related was on my old GSX-R750WT where the alloy carriers began to wear from the movement of the bobbins. I spoke to my friendly Suzuki dealer who put in a out of warranty claim (the bike was five years old!) for a new pair of front discs and carriers along with a pair of mirrors as they had started to 'speckle' and within two weeks it was approved and the parts arrived at my door.

Have always wondered if you'd get that service from other marques but the way Ducati have shunned the swollen fuel tank issue I somehow doubt it.

Luddite, I take it you didn't bother asking?
Old 20-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Luddite, I take it you didn't bother asking?
You're right, Flip, I didn't bother asking. To be honest, it was just an excuse to do another upgrade!
Old 18-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
crawsue
Bronze Member

I pm’d Vince (Luddite) earlier as I have a braking sensation similar to Mr Gazza, long pulses as I brake slowly to a standstill but perfect braking at speed. New fluid at last service, and Scotchbrited the discs ...to no effect. I’ll give Mr G’s tip a try on my next outing and report back. All bobbins have some free play, a warped disc gives a more of a shudder...this is a languid “pulse”....
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well you have the advantage in your locale that you can extend the braking time by doing it going downhill..

Give the discs a good wipe all round with clutch and brake cleaner before you head out.

Good luck.
Old 18-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
I pm’d Vince (Luddite) earlier as I have a braking sensation similar to Mr Gazza, long pulses as I brake slowly to a standstill but perfect braking at speed. New fluid at last service, and Scotchbrited the discs ...to no effect. I’ll give Mr G’s tip a try on my next outing and report back. All bobbins have some free play, a warped disc gives a more of a shudder...this is a languid “pulse”....
The idea is to get the surface layer of the disc hot enough to let it change its composition, as the hot metal cools the crystals it's made of can change their state a bit. Different surface states give different levels of friction.
So it's long slow braking from speed, the disc wants to be hot enough that you don't want to put a finger on it, some even say a gentle glow is good if they're cast iron but I think that's a bit much for a thin bikes disc but OK for a thicker car disc.

There is tons written on this
Old 06-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #15
crawsue
Bronze Member

Miserable day here so had a chance for a more focused look at the manual and particularly the ABS functionality as my braking “pulse” issue was NOT addressed by cleaning discs or the other “remedies “ kindly suggested above.
It appears that any ABS problems will be shown on the dash by the ABS light staying “on” permanently,until the fault is repaired, my ABS light is functioning normally, would you agree that my slow pulsing issue can’t, therefore be a problem with the ABS ?
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: