UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Seat Cowl fitting brakets/kits

Old 28-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Johnny_E

Question Seat Cowl fitting brakets/kits

Does anybody know the part nos for the fitting kit to fit a seat cowl? Just bought a carbon one - but need to order the necessary bits to clamp it on with.

Oh... unless anyone has one lying around 2nd hand of course that they'd sell.

John
Old 28-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Shandy

If you mean the two brackets that hold the seat cowl to the seat they are this for an M600 but can't see why they would be different,

Left Hand:- 827.1.097.1A
Right Hand:- 827.1.096.1A

Would be worth a call to a friendly parts man like Craig at Motorapido to check, he gives 10% for us members as well if you ask

Cheers,

Shandy
Old 29-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Johnny_E

Thanks Shandy... just what I needed.

John
Old 13-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
popelli

has anybody got the dimensions of these brackets so I can make some up ?
Old 27-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
popelli

problem solved

spoke to the guys at the local independant shop and they loaned me the brackets off one off their personal bikes to copy

nice to see that old school type shops still exist
Old 27-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Assuming you haven't had a cowl fitted before (or else you'd already have the brackets) I think its worth smoothing any roughness from the underside of the cowl before you fit it. And/or maybe sticking something soft over it.
My bike has a scuffed rear seat section due to this, and it looks messy whenever you take the cowl off for pillion or luggage.
The two thumbscrew bolts (same as on the toolkit cubbyhole) that hold the cowl on drop out easily too.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Assuming you haven't had a cowl fitted before (or else you'd already have the brackets) I think its worth smoothing any roughness from the underside of the cowl before you fit it. And/or maybe sticking something soft over it.
My bike has a scuffed rear seat section due to this, and it looks messy whenever you take the cowl off for pillion or luggage.
The two thumbscrew bolts (same as on the toolkit cubbyhole) that hold the cowl on drop out easily too.

thanks for the warning - would never have thought of the scuffing of the seat

re thumb screws I use spring washers everywhere
Old 27-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Glad to be of assistance.

Thinking it through a bit more....the front and back edges may dig in and make lines in the seat.
The padding idea would tend to avoid this.
.....as would not fitting the cowl too low anyway, on the slotted holes in the brackets, but the padding sounds a better cure to me.
Maybe that stuff they sell for putting underneath tailpacks etc. ?
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Glad to be of assistance.

Thinking it through a bit more....the front and back edges may dig in and make lines in the seat.
The padding idea would tend to avoid this.
.....as would not fitting the cowl too low anyway, on the slotted holes in the brackets, but the padding sounds a better cure to me.
Maybe that stuff they sell for putting underneath tailpacks etc. ?
bike will never be used 2 up anyway and cowl unlikely to ever come off so its all academic
Old 28-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Scotty

I had a cowl with a rectangular shaped piece of padding to prevent scratches, and now I have a rectangular shaped indent in the saddle instead. :doh
Old 28-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Dookbob

I must confess that I think the monster seat looks much better without the cowl.
Old 28-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Gordon H

Don't forget spring washers....... one of the sloted bolts dropped off mine last week. I was about 2/3rds of a rotation on the remaining bolt away from losing the cowl.......

Old 23-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by popelli View Post
problem solved

spoke to the guys at the local independant shop and they loaned me the brackets off one off their personal bikes to copy

nice to see that old school type shops still exist
finally got around to making the brackets, dead easy when you have something to copy

they came out spot on
Old 29-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
popelli

has going to post a drawing with the dimensions for these but file size is too large

anybody know how to reduce the file size?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0358.jpg (30.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 29-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I made a set for trike out of 2mm alloy sheet, but just used a simple 'L' shape rather than copy the triangular profile of the originals. Fitted and worked just as well, and a bit quicker to make into the bargain.