UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Draining Carbs

Old 13-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think it's a good idea to pull the plugs as the compression would put strain on the sprag which is a knoweth weakness if spun with a weak battery, it will cause more wear. I never had a carb monster but it was never a problem with the SS's that i had before because they have a low pressure electric fuel pump to prime the carbs. I think the vac pump on monsters is the main problem. Vacuum fuel taps are not ideal either if they only stay open when there's enough vacuum from the engine actually running.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #17
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Knoweth? Lol! I meanteth 'known' of courseth!

Old 13-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #18
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
Interesting to read that! I did exactly the same on my Suzuki VX800, which also had a vacuum stopcock and vacuum pump. I tee'd in a spur in the pipework below the pump and used to fill the carbs with 50ml of fuel from a big glass syringe. It saved a lot of punishment for the battery and starter-sprag, though one VX-er suggested that the engine oil wouldn't have gone around so well prior to firing.

That bike (the VX) was charming but had to make way for the S4R: chalk and cheese, I reckon!

Nick
I had to Google Suzuki VX800 because i never heard of one or seen one before . But yea, its a cruiser engine in a kind of 600 Bandit frame. A bit meh imho. Was it an official model or a grey import? Closest jap bike to an S4 woud probably be a TL1000 but without the suicidal handling issues!

Old 14-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #19
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Do you mean "with"?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #20
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Probably, I'll rephrase; I mean the S4 is similar to the TL but the S4 is without the TL handling issues.

Old 14-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #21
Flip

Bike: M900
The TL only had problems because of the rotary damper being separate to the shock which caused the chain to fully tighten under compression and the suspension to lock solid which coupled with a ‘lively’ power delivery meant the front kicked off, up and sideways all at the same time resulting in more than a few farmers having to plough around a Suzuki in their field.

Suzuki’s unfortunate response was to recall and fit a steering damper which masked the problem to a degree but didn’t cure it.

However, swap out the original shock and damper, fit a good quality conventional shock (albeit requiring a modification kit) and the first generation TL1000S becomes one of the most crazy bikes to come to these shores- that motor without the additional weight of the later TL1000R is a stonker!

Last edited by Flip; 14-02-2020 at 12:35 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #22
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, that's right the rear damping was the main problem. I'd fancy one if it had a proper shock conversion and I didn't already have the Monster. They aren't stupid money either, or they weren't. The gearboxes are a little weak though on those that were raced.

Old 14-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #23
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
TL1000S becomes one of the most crazy bikes to come to these shores- that motor without the additional weight of the later TL1000R is a stonker!
You may know that the TL1000 motor was fitted into an lighteight MV chassis, styled by Galluzzi (Our Monster man)) and marketed by Cagiva as the Raptor. OK, so the Suzi motor was softened a bit for the purpose but it makes a very fine bike, especially when the suspension is tweaked. One sits next to the S4R in the garage and I'm looking forward to comparing the two theoretically-similar bikes!

Roll on Spring...

Nick
Old 17-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #24
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I had to Google Suzuki VX800 because i never heard of one or seen one before . But yea, its a cruiser engine in a kind of 600 Bandit frame. A bit meh imho. Was it an official model or a grey import? Closest jap bike to an S4 woud probably be a TL1000 but without the suicidal handling issues!
The VX was certainly an official import into Europe and the US, though the US got a different crank angle to give extra vibration to suit their tastes!

I've just been reading a 1990 Bike magazine test, which is one of the few aspects of the bike I have left after it had to make room for the S4R (No way did I mean that the VX was Japan's version of the Monster: LOL) and one of the testers really caught the vibe of a release from trying to ride ballistically on sports-bikes and finding the pleasure of relatively-sedate and comfortable travel on two wheels. As I said, a real charmer of a bike with nothing to prove. If I had more space, it'd still be here.

Nick