UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » always wanted a Monster, never quite got one, but...

Old 07-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #31
The Clockie

Nice looking machine! Might need some padding on the seat though...

As to cable ties: I think Ducati went very OTT on them. I've taken dozens of the wide rubber ones off the S4R and, where necessary, replaced them with discrete nylon zip-ties, often securing cables to other parts rather than disfiguring the tasty blue trellis frame. If there's one thing that always bothered me about the aesthetics of Monsters, it's that they mostly look like the mess that is my workshop!

Nick
Old 09-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #32
buzzer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
Nice looking machine! Might need some padding on the seat though...

As to cable ties: I think Ducati went very OTT on them. I've taken dozens of the wide rubber ones off the S4R and, where necessary, replaced them with discrete nylon zip-ties, often securing cables to other parts rather than disfiguring the tasty blue trellis frame. If there's one thing that always bothered me about the aesthetics of Monsters, it's that they mostly look like the mess that is my workshop!

Nick
been doing the padding!

Here is the seat being made… I have used closed cell EFP30 foam, which is firm, but has the advantage that it can be sanded to shape. it will be covered with some 6mm foam and trimmed. Trimming is one of the jobs I cant do at home!

buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #33
Flip

I have to agree with the other comments, that is one very nice looking motorcycle and one that looks as if it will be a very much a 'real world' bike too.

I really like the seat unit shape too- what have you done for a tail/brake light?

It is one area on many production bikes that can be improved in my opinion but one that has got it right is Yamaha's beautiful (but flawed in places) XSR900 Abarth.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #34
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
EFP30 foam has piqued my interest, as I am now at the foam lump stage of a GRP seat base that I have recently made. I googled it and cannot get an idea of "squidginess"!
How does it compare to that pork cheese looking foam made of multi-coloured bits?

I am assuming that it's okay for an upright sort of riding position such that you have?
Really keen to try the sandable shaping aspect, as I could use this foam to form the rear upholstered hump, rather than shaped "Cellotex" with GRP overlay.

Do you use ordinary contact glue on this? ..and is it ok to cut with a bandsaw?
Old 10-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #35
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
EFP30 foam has piqued my interest, as I am now at the foam lump stage of a GRP seat base that I have recently made. I googled it and cannot get an idea of "squidginess"!
How does it compare to that pork cheese looking foam made of multi-coloured bits?

I am assuming that it's okay for an upright sort of riding position such that you have?
Really keen to try the sandable shaping aspect, as I could use this foam to form the rear upholstered hump, rather than shaped "Cellotex" with GRP overlay.

Do you use ordinary contact glue on this? ..and is it ok to cut with a bandsaw?
Hi Mr Gazza, the foam is "firm", more firm than the multicoloured foam, but in my opinion its still got enough give to be comfortable, especially if you cover it with 6 of 13 mm foam. this is what the trimmer does for me. for a seat hump it would be fine without the foam...

it cuts with any saw, but I find a bread knife works well. if you start with square blocks, draw lines on it with a felt pen so you can cut accurately, and then sand the corners off...

I get the foam from a local company, but they sell on Ebay as well under the name efoamuk. the also sell some airosol spray adhesive which is cheap and brilliant

EFOAM Unit 20 Barton Industrial Park
Etruria Way
Bilston
West Midlands
WV14 7LH

here is another example I did last year, as you can see its shaped at the front to make it more comfortable for me...

Old 10-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #36
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you for the info Buzzer. I found Efoam in my searches, thanks for the recommendation though.

Sounds like it might be a touch on the firm side for me, but could be better than a hard hump with only a thin covering, when I come to use throw-over panniers.
Many years ago (over 40 I think) I "recovered" some sound insulating foam from the engine room of a fire damaged boat that had come in for an insurance re-fit.
It's very dense and Orange in colour.. No idea what it's made of, but I've used it on a couple of seats in the past and it's proved comfortable, a bit of a mare to shape though! Not sure if I still have enough in stock for the current project.

Your trimmer knows his stuff by the looks. I have a highly recommended chap locally that I am yet to make contact with, so that's the next step, or get the hand cranked Singer out again.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #37
buzzer

yes, the trimmer is superb! Her name is Karen and she works at Aldridge Trimming... I always ask for her... and make sure she gets a box of biscuits when the job is done! they are not cheap, but they are VERY good... I am off there this afternoon with my MX5 seat to be done while on holiday... and the seat off the bike!
Old 10-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #38
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Thank you for the info Buzzer. I found Efoam in my searches, thanks for the recommendation though.

Sounds like it might be a touch on the firm side for me, but could be better than a hard hump with only a thin covering, when I come to use throw-over panniers.

Your trimmer knows his stuff by the looks. I have a highly recommended chap locally that I am yet to make contact with, so that's the next step, or get the hand cranked Singer out again.
Garry:
I have a Raptor seat awaiting its turn for improvement at Else Made in Wisbech. He claims his are super-comfortable with a gel pad and memory foam over the top. Can't wait to sit on it!

Nick
Old 26-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #39
buzzer

Back from Holiday... to cold, wet and rain...

well its that time of indecision....* i have Photoshoped on other colours, but its either*red or orange... I have to decide by tomorrow as I want to get the paint...

Old 26-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #40
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Both work for me as I have an orange bike and a red one. Good luck with your deliberations
Old 26-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #41
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Welcome back to England!
That's a convincing bit of photoshop work, but I can't help with your decision as they both look nice. I still think the rear spring, clutch plate and disc centres need to be the same colour to get 11 out of 10.. Gold would be my favourite..
Old 26-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #42
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
How about mean and moody metallic black? You could put a red or orange metal flake in the black maybe, so you see it when it catches the light.

...and Gold clutch plate and yellow spring just for Gazza?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #43
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It’s the red for me but only if it matches the shock spring/clutch plate as well as you photoshop does. I like Darren’s suggestion too, something that only shows colour in bright sunlight usually looks really classy.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #44
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Every body knows red ones are faster
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #45
Moco1961

...plus one for red Buzzer.... sorry to be predictable