UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi everyone

Old 29-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
zxebeast

Hi everyone

I recently passed the test and I'm now looking for a monster.

I joined not long ago and so far had a very good impression of the club. Hope I get to know it better.

Cheers
Old 29-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Mand

Hello and welcome!
Old 29-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Pugi

Because 1st impressions last

Congratulatons on passing the test!
Welcome to the club.
Old 29-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
eonan

Yep well done Look forward to seeing you around
Old 30-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Chappers

Well done and welcome!
Old 30-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
lord vader

Well done on passing
Good luck finding a monster just remember there is only one colour to choose!
No Colour.
Join the Dark Side
Old 30-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
markus

How ya doin' - well done on the test and making the right choice with your bike selection!
Old 30-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
zxebeast

Thanks to all for the friendly welcome!

I surely was happy with passing the test because it obviously meant that I now have the opportunity of buying, owning -loving even- and most importantly 'riding' a Ducati Monster. Hell, what a brutal design, what a brutal bike. Choosing it was never going to be hard.

I also got to say that I share a particular like with Lord vader. Black is my preferred colour for the bike although once I have climbed up the riding ladder I won't complain if I get a striped SR. Yes I'm on the dark side and glad to be there.

Now is the time for hunting for one. Maybe some of you want to offer advice, which will be greatly appreciated. I have two questions:

One. Are the 600s powerful enough or should I look for a 750?

Two. Can I tour through europe on one of these beasts?

I have set a budget of £1500 for an used one so I'm mostly looking at 98 bikes and earlier.

Cheers
Old 30-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Paivi

Hello beast and welcome!

I'd say 600 won't be powerful enough for you. I just bought myself a 695 and am loving it, but my Monster friend's swapping his 620 for an S2R 1000 or a 749 due to it being 'gutless'.

I'm planning to ride down to the Italian Lakes in September, and have been told my Monster is perfectly capable of it, although a softer seat might be more comfortable.

And, as any fool knows, red is the fastest colour!

Last edited by Paivi; 30-05-2006 at 07:16 PM..
Old 30-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
zxebeast

Hey Paivi

This Red/Black thing is like choosing between Adriana Lima and Scarlett Johansson - I could have them both!

It's interesting you say that a 600 won't be powerful enough, I'd heard it before. The option of an early M900 jumps into mind. It'll be good to know how much more insurance I'll have to pay though.

Hope you enjoy that trip to the Italian lakes. I'm sure it'll be a great adventure!
Old 30-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
zxebeast

By the way, you've got a gorgeous 695! Sure it rides as good as it looks!
Old 31-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #12
Paivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxebeast
The option of an early M900 jumps into mind. It'll be good to know how much more insurance I'll have to pay though.
Get some quotes from e.g., Ebike and Carole Nash with separate bikes to get an idea. Often, you'll actually get a lower insurance for a more powerful bike than the entry level one, e.g., 620. Where you'll really save, though, are the security measures: get an Almax chain with a Squire lock and you'll get £££ off yours. Another few quid off if you do BikeSafe (at £30 in London).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxebeast
By the way, you've got a gorgeous 695! Sure it rides as good as it looks!
Thanks, the Duchess is gorgeous, but handles in a most unladylike fashion, just growling at any car driver careless enough to come too close!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
zxebeast

That's ace. Thanks for the tips Paivi!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
a 600/620 will be fine for town & country riding. In fact, in town you wouldnt want more than that.
I find if I drag out our 620, I can stay with many on the twisites (and go past the 'sunday heroes' under their armpits ) sometimes leaving fellow DSC'ers in my wake tho I wouldnt want to ride it for a long day rideout, as I have found it a bit lacking on the national limit dual c/ways when riding with 9**'s.
(its not the top end speed, its the time to get there )

However, if you are looking to most of your riding on long sweeping roads, then yes - I'd recco at least a 750/800, or better still, a 900 - tho I am happy with my 1000sie

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #15
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
oh, forgot to say - well done, and welcome
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote