UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Ducati 1000 DS custom build

Old 17-04-2023, 11:01 AM   #61
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Ah, orange. I was wondering what colour you were going to paint it.

Oddly, I found myself thinking that maybe you ought to hydro-dip that real carbon fender extender in fake carbon.
In fact I wouldn't mind betting that you've already considered it yourself.

Top notch work throughout, but we have come to expect that by now.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 07:09 PM   #62
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I was thinking that although its a great build you really need to come up with a better more original colour scheme, it's getting too predicable now. All of your bikes are amazing btw, just not impressed to see yet another Ducati in Laverda colours. If you like orange and silver then why not get a Laverda?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 08:27 AM   #63
buzzer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I was thinking that although its a great build you really need to come up with a better more original colour scheme, it's getting too predicable now. All of your bikes are amazing btw, just not impressed to see yet another Ducati in Laverda colours. If you like orange and silver then why not get a Laverda?
You know when you build a bike and then agonise over what colour to paint it? well I dont have that problem!

As for getting a Laverda... I owned this for 30 years

Old 19-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #64
buzzer

Here it is, finished... I am pleased with the look, even though it divides opinion!

This will be the last full bike build for a while. This is my 12th bike build, they usually take me all winter to complete, and then I ride them over the summer.

I have no doubt there will be some tinkering, and I will post the results of that, but I wont be doing another full build until September 2024. I will be doing a video on the build soon.

The plan is to spend the summer as we always do, Holidays, days out, and going for rides... Then in the autumn its time to do some work on the house, new kitchen, bathroom, general renovations and decorating. The last house purge was the year I retired... 14 years ago! My wife has been very tolerant over the years!

Old 19-04-2023, 08:53 AM   #65
Dukedesmo

Whilst not a fan of the short/high tail look, I have to say top quality work again.

As for orange, my first Ducati, ('68 250 Scrambler) was orange and silver, having chrome sides on the tank, actually many of the '60s/70s Ducatis were orange or yellow (never saw a red one back then) maybe, orange is the new black?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #66
Jam911

Bike: Multiple Monsters
One of a kind.

The quality of your work is exceptional
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 05:03 PM   #67
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Top job…..

Another inspirational job, Buzzer….what did you decide about number plate placement….? When can w expect a video ? Is there a video available for the ‘Guzzi…? A nation hold’s it’s breath!!!!
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 06:34 PM   #68
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Another inspirational job, Buzzer….what did you decide about number plate placement….? When can w expect a video ? Is there a video available for the ‘Guzzi…? A nation hold’s it’s breath!!!!
its a side number plate, I will post some pictures soon, and a video. I was out on the Guzzi today... I am in love

here is the guzzi video

https://youtu.be/EfrFwwEUpfk
Old 21-04-2023, 09:10 AM   #69
buzzer

I gave the garage a good clean out the other day, which meant getting all the bikes on the drive... I thought it worthy of a picture.

I also did 80 miles on the new build, it ran very nice from the off... I did however stop a couple of times to tweak the air screw on the carbs. Its such a fun bike to ride! I also took the Guzzi out for a 20 mile ride... here's to a warm dry summer!

Here are some of the builds I have done over the years, yes there is an orange and silver theme, its what I like, and with all my builds, I build them for me! I have done restorations in the past rather than custom builds and have kept these in original or period colours...

One of my big regrets is not taking photos... I have very few film photoes from the pre digital age which is a shame.

Old 21-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #70
motomartin11

Brilliant work as always. What a great selection of your builds. I have a similar shot somewhere of my GS1000 by the bridge at Ironbridge back in the day, I think it was circa summer 1979 and IIRC me and my then girlfriend parked next to a a Vincent twin-possibly a Black Shadow. I didn't appreciate the history of that marque at the time as I was only about 21 or 22! Great days and great music!
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #71
motomartin11

Just looking the the photo of the T /GT500 and wondered whether you have considered doing a Kawasaki triple? Perhaps something along the lines of an Allen Millyard special if I may be so bold!
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #72
RichardDDuke

Bike: Other Ducati
All of them are gobsmackingly good. Favourites from simply aethetics point of view are the Guzzi build and the one next to it with the double sided swingarm.... and also the one above the Guzzi appeals too.
RichardDDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #73
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
Just looking the the photo of the T /GT500 and wondered whether you have considered doing a Kawasaki triple? Perhaps something along the lines of an Allen Millyard special if I may be so bold!
my only problem is the kick start... I cant manage that these days... or I would love to do another 2 stroke
Old 04-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #74
buzzer

well this and the Guzzi build comes to an end (that's if custom builds ever do!)

Have to say I am loving both bikes, they are very different to ride! The Duke is so light and nimble at 168kg wet, with the Guzzi at 200kg

This will be my last build for 18 months... I normally build a bike over winter, and ride all summer, so that's the plan this year... then in September I will start work on the house... Happy wife, happy life!

Hopefully I can start another build September 2024, so plenty of time to look around for anything that takes my fancy

for now here is a video that covers the build...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOb8nLGY9C8
Old 28-06-2023, 11:57 AM   #75
buzzer

June, the weather has been great and I really am enjoying this bike and putting a few miles on it! however, every time I looked at the under slung exhaust I felt it didn’t suit the bike… I know a lot of people liked it (some didnt...) but for me it was wrong. it was the long straight front pipe… So out came the welder and I made a new one! here it is!

this feels like a hooligan of a bike The combination of the light weight, the torque delivery, the riding position, and the handling all bring out the hooligan

I have had the wheel come up a few times

Last edited by buzzer; 28-06-2023 at 12:13 PM..
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote