UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Which Monster?

Old 13-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Your neck becomes the limit, you won't want to spend more than about an hour or two at over a ton (in Germany of course)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I find anything up to 80 mph is fun, 80 to 100 just bearable if necessary, 100+ is just not pleasant, at that speed either kiss the tank or become a rudimentary wing and practice take off procedures!

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
I've a 1200s and found to my surprise that they are very comfortable for long distance. I've ridden 130 miles with no bother in one go on a few occasions. I fitted a Givi small screen as I'm 6ft and that helped but I'm taking it off for the summer as I prefer the look without. It'll also help save my license, well that's the idea....
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
pegboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
If you want the classic look IMHO the older bikes are great. I was seriously considering an M900, but I wasn't sure I could live with the potential foibles of an old carbed bike (sorry Flip! - his is luvvvverly)

I would add a definite +1 for S2R 1000 ownership, as recommended by Slob. There aren't too many about but the single sided swingarm looks fantastic to my eye. An added bonus is it is possible to work these relatively easily yourself. I would ride a few, check out service, insurance and and parts costs.

In contrast there seem to be lots of 800's about, they have weaker front brakes, non adjustable forks and a little less less oomph. I can't comment on the modern bikes apart from I find them a bit Standing by for

Pegboy had a very nice S2R 1000 for sale click me

Thanks for the plug

Yes it is still for sale. PM me if you want more info
Old 14-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #20
Flip

Bike: M900
See told you there'd be plenty along to offer their views and that is the beauty of Monster's and their owners- it is all a personal thing so go and try as many as you can.

It is true what Pedro says, the 900's are getting on a bit now and if you're not friendly with your spanners then could cost a lot to up keep using a dealer. But I have recently done close to 900 miles in three and a half days on mine without a problem and would have quite happily got back on it for a few more days if work and family would have allowed the time.

For a while I also owned an S4 along with my 900 and to be honest it lacked a little character for me (personal thing again- sorry S4 owners) and then there is the 'look' with all plumbing on show- which is a problem with all water cooled engines in naked bikes, not just Ducati.

I will also second that the 1000 D/S motor is great and is perhaps the best of the original looking Monsters- it wheelies like a mad thing (sorry Doug, I couldn't help it)!!

All the injected bikes will be slightly easier to live with than carb'd and without the complicated ABB, Traction Control etc. of the very latest modes which pretty much puts an end to any in depth home servicing. With regards to the single sided swing arm bikes they divide opinions with the original styling elsewhere on the bike (I like them) but with the one off cost of having to get a dedicated paddock stand.

As with most things motorcycles some of the choice may be decided by how much you want to spend but the twin sided swing arm 800 could be the bargain as they are about the same power as the original 900 but overshadowed by the 1000 and the S2R models. The brakes can easily be upgraded should you feel the need and in my experience it is better to have properly sprung and set up suspension than infinite adjustability which can never be set right due to incorrect springs or poor damping cartridges, so again nothing too major to sort out there and all of which helps you to feel the bike is more 'yours'.

So there you go, some down to looks and some to price and back to that 'personal' thing again.

But whatever one you go for there will always be a wealth of knowledge and help here for you to get the best from it, of that there is no doubt!!
Old 14-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
Elmandarino

I am hoping to test the 821 early this week so will get a chance to see for myself but obviously you can never tell how a test bike will feel after 130 miles! So your feedback really helpful and I hope Gedders finds it as useful as I have.
Old 14-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #22
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmandarino View Post
I am hoping to test the 821 early this week so will get a chance to see for myself but obviously you can never tell how a test bike will feel after 130 miles! So your feedback really helpful and I hope Gedders finds it as useful as I have.
I wasn't able to test my 1200S prior to purchase (not smart I know) but if I had I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have bought, I've ridden it through 600 pretty miserable miles to the first service and while it was away decided to flog it once I got it back. BUT having been serviced the bike is transformed, not perfect but so much better. Makes me think they should put some more miles on them or do whatever they do during the service before letting them out for demo.
Old 14-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #23
EvoAde

A few miles on the clock makes a big difference to how the motor felt on my 1100 evo; much better after about 4,000 miles. A remap of the DP ecu by Cornerspeed Ducati made a big difference to the low revs running, as does a 14 tooth front sprocket.
Old 14-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #24
mholc123

OK just rode back from Mugello 2 weeks ago on my M1200, rode from Florence to Lyon (470 Miles) with a screen and soft panniers. Got to confess my arse was sore but not until we had done 350 Miles. I have the official Ducati screen but it was too low, so I made my own using the Ducati frame and a £10 piece of perspex, who needs a Multistrada?
Old 14-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #25
Elmandarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
I wasn't able to test my 1200S prior to purchase (not smart I know) but if I had I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have bought, I've ridden it through 600 pretty miserable miles to the first service and while it was away decided to flog it once I got it back. BUT having been serviced the bike is transformed, not perfect but so much better. Makes me think they should put some more miles on them or do whatever they do during the service before letting them out for demo.
What exactly was wrong - fuelling, throttle response....?
Old 15-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #26
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmandarino View Post
What exactly was wrong - fuelling, throttle response....?
I'm presuming fuelling, trying to ride at constant speed was virtually impossible and slightest movement of throttle would have bike lurching faster or slower, it felt horrible and I've never have bought it feeling like that.
Old 16-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #27
Gedders

Well thanks for all the responses posted to this, more responses than I expected. Its seems the bigger versions are more popular as not much on the 600. What are your opinions on the 750 as that model seems rarer when looking for 2nd hand?
Old 16-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #28
Gedders

Cheers FLIP, one thing I didn't mention is that yes I am fairly hand with the spanners and being able to service or fix things myself is definitely the way I'd prefer to go.
Old 16-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #29
Flip

Bike: M900
Well I guess the earlier models might suit more if you're friendly with your spanners but I would say the same as others have, to try and get some test rides if you can as I am sure there is a world of difference in performance and the way it is delivered between the early and the latest bikes.

On the road there is probably not too much performance difference between models (depending on what you're used to and where you ride most) until you get to the D/S 1000 and of course the water cooled versions and then another jump to the new bikes so it is perhaps more a case of finding one you like for the right sort of money.