UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Rebuilt M750 Cafe Racer

Old 17-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #16
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Spoked wheels are around £1600. I want a pair too but just can't justify the cost atm or ever.

The Smeegal swinging arm was also a kit for the Monster but I forget the name of the company, it wasn't the same as the 916 one but specific for Monsters, fittting a regular 916 arm to a Monster would probably not be the best combination for handling as it was designed for the 916.
Spoked wheels do look good keeping on trend with a retro look but the trouble is you have to run them with tubes in which, if anyone whose had a puncture while moving isn’t a lot of fun as they go down very quickly!!!

Lots of modern bikes equipped with spoked wheels are clever double skinned jobbies that are run tubeless (like a lot of mountain bikes) making them much safer.

I can’t remember the name of company that made the single sided swing arm kit either but the main advantage of it over using a 916/748 item was that it used the standard Monster pivot bearings (meaning it was reversible) whereas using a 916/748 item meant the Monster engine cases needed to be machined to accept the bearings and pivot.
Old 17-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #17
Darkness

Bike: M900
It was made by Febur. They still do a magnesium version if you are feeling extravagant.

Only €3k!

http://www.feburstore.com/en/magnesi...-800-900-.html

The other advantage over using a 916 swingarm is it’s longer so it keeps the monster wheelbase the same as standard.

Last edited by Darkness; 17-08-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #18
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The Sport Classic wheels that will fit a Monster are a. heavy, b. require tubed tires, c low spec ones are chrome steel and the higher spec eg rarer ones are alloy and d. you need to downgrade brakes to single caliper type or modify existing ones to fit. if you still want spoked wheels that will fit with tubeless tyres?

Then you are looking at Aplina or Kineo or similar for about £800 per wheel! I thought about it a lot but no, its not worth it considering that the spoke wheels are actually heavier than the standard wheels and if I wanted to upgrade then I would want to fit lighter wheels I would go carbon for a similar cost anyway.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #19
cactus

Bike: M900ie
Very nice work, but wow, those clip-ons are low.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: