UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Alternative alarm ?

Old 20-01-2018, 04:58 AM   #16
popelli

alarm on my ducati was removed when it malfunctioned

I find a disc lock far more effective as nobody even looks when an alarm goes off anyway

Many years ago I lost the keys to a bike, so I hotwired it, not a single passer by asked any questions
Old 20-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #17
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think its fair to be sceptical of the quality of some so called Chinese tat, some of it is actually ok. Evailuation is necessary first and for £4 its no big loss. Remember how the Brits wrote off Japanese bikes like the CB750 in the 70's and considered them to be no threat at the time?

It won't take the Chinese that long to be producing kit that will rival Japan and the rest of the world. There are already some electronics companys making hi end hi fi and consumer electroics gear that is comparable with the Japanese stuff for a fraction of the price.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #18
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedesmo View Post
Yes, it’s proper ghetto up here, a cross between the Boston combat zone, a Brazilian favela and Bournemouth.
Bournemouth eh? I didn't know it had gotten that bad!
Old 20-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #19
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Bournemouth eh? I didn't know it had gotten that bad!
Yea, what's with Bournemouth? I thought that would be full of old godgers. Or are they the problem? Where I live near Mansfield its like the Bronx, full of wanna be gangsta chavs who are probably getting whatever hand outs from the state that they can in order to maintain their lifestyle and they still want to steal if they see something that they want and can't afford.

Old 20-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #20
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Yea, what's with Bournemouth? I thought that would be full of old godgers. Or are they the problem? Where I live near Mansfield its like the Bronx, full of wanna be gangsta chavs who are probably getting whatever hand outs from the state that they can in order to maintain their lifestyle and they still want to steal if they see something that they want and can't afford.
......it's the demographic, these retired folk walk along the beach front at West Kirby, casting a sly glance at what's parked then before you know it. They are on the mobile texting a runner to go fetch......nightmare!

....anyway back to the focus of the thread....immobiliser is more effective imo, although I had an car fitted with one a good few years back that some scroats wanted, didn't get it but having silenced the alarm they messed up the boot lid,bonnet and drivers door looking for the immobiliser , actually wished they had taken it.

Having seen the thread last year about the bike in London been snatched while the owner watched, which is horrific enough, I think getting a good insurer is top priority.....if the scroats want your bike sadly they will get it !
Old 20-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #21
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
......it's the demographic, these retired folk walk along the beach front at West Kirby, casting a sly glance at what's parked then before you know it. They are on the mobile texting a runner to go fetch......nightmare!

....anyway back to the focus of the thread....immobiliser is more effective imo, although I had an car fitted with one a good few years back that some scroats wanted, didn't get it but having silenced the alarm they messed up the boot lid,bonnet and drivers door looking for the immobiliser , actually wished they had taken it.

Having seen the thread last year about the bike in London been snatched while the owner watched, which is horrific enough, I think getting a good insurer is top priority.....if the scroats want your bike sadly they will get it !
Yea, them crumblies don't have any cash 'cos there pensions have gone south and the fat cats took all the money, you gotta watch them old b******s 'cos they'll nick owt they can get their hands on. Who can blame them for that?

Chavs on the other hand are scum and will take anything they can, even though they are unemployed and yet still somehow manage to take home more money than you do and never did a days work in their life.

Two recently started checking out my bike as some people do when they walk past, that's ok fair enough its a nice bike. They then jumped my gate and started rocking it. I went out to confront them and they ran off. 2 days later my windows are put through with an air rifle or slingshot.

Old 20-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedesmo View Post
Your logic might stack up if all the people who have no problems with them were posting on forums to say how happy they are because they’ve run up another day without an alarm failure, but do you think that’s gonna happen?
MY logic ...........
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
Moco1961

Quote:
Yea, them crumblies don't have any cash 'cos there pensions have gone south and the fat cats took all the money, you gotta watch them old b******s 'cos they'll nick owt they can get their hands on. Who can blame them for that?

Chavs on the other hand are scum and will take anything they can, even though they are unemployed and yet still somehow manage to take home more money than you do and never did a days work in their life.

Two recently started checking out my bike as some people do when they walk past, that's ok fair enough its a nice bike. They then jumped my gate and started rocking it. I went out to confront them and they ran off. 2 days later my windows are put through with an air rifle or slingshot.
......I assume Darren they were rocking it to set the alarm of just for fun!....so we have gone full circle, damned if you do, damned if you don't ! Plus if you **** them off they come back and do more damage.
Old 20-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #24
utopia
No turn left unstoned

I am not suggesting in the slightest that this is the best security device out there.
That would be ridiculous.
And even if it was, it still wouldn't be anything like adequate against the determined thief ... nothing is.

What I do like though is its simple and basic yet effective design ... much like the monster itself I guess.
And I see no reason why China's ability to make simple electronic devices should be questioned .. this isn't the 70s.
In any case, for a fiver, and zero installation hassle, and zero interference with the bike's electrics, it will alert me to the tampering scrote.
What's not to like ?

Gazza .. I dunno if the tank would interfere with the remote signal but it should be easy enough to reach down and "flash" it from a better angle.

Pedro .. Yep, I may well fit a tracker as well.
If you know of a good one which doesn't require subscriptions, I would be interested to hear.
But if I'm using a tracker, the bike has already been nicked .. and I'll be walking home from the river.

Moco .. if you xxxx them off when you're at the pub (or the river) they don't know where you live.
Old 20-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #25
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post

Pedro .. Yep, I may well fit a tracker as well.
If you know of a good one which doesn't require subscriptions, I would be interested to hear.
But if I'm using a tracker, the bike has already been nicked .. and I'll be walking home from the river
This uses a pay as you go sim and alerts for any movement etc to your phone(s)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...SABEgJlEvD_BwE
Old 20-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #26
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post

Moco .. if you xxxx them off when you're at the pub (or the river) they don't know where you live.

.....that's a good point well made......although when I go to the pub I am not usually in a fit state to ride my bike....i'm an " all or nothing" bloke..
Old 20-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks again for flagging up a harmless cheapie... Anything has got to better than no alarm.
It never occurred to me to just point the remote under the tank. That's a nice simple solution to an already nice simple idea... The logic is just stacking up in it's favour. (Can you actually "stack" logic? Or is it the name of a new type of play brick, like Lego, from China?)

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 20-01-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #28
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
It won't take the Chinese that long to be producing kit that will rival Japan and the rest of the world. There are already some electronics companys making hi end hi fi and consumer electroics gear that is comparable with the Japanese stuff for a fraction of the price.
They already produce a huge volume of 'Japanese' bikes, the electronics for them and lots more. Quite a few models are all chinese built
Electronics again they are big producers for other companies, lots of things these days are using micro components so are all automated production
Given their muscle they will be stealing the production market from a big swathe of indo-china over the next few years
Old 14-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #29
JayJosephS4RS

After some chavvy little c*** sat on my 9T last year in a pub car park and scratched absolute f*** out of my tank while I was (just) out of sight, which ended up costing me £75 for paint correction... I think I’ll keep the Datatool on my Monster. The warning bleeps are sensitive enough to deter people from even standing near your prized possession and the alarm at full wail is loud enough that I would have heard it had my 9T had one installed which would’ve saved me having to pay for the damage caused...

Having it on my Monster reduced my insurance premium by £20 too... which is better than a kick in the gonads any day of the week. It’s been on the bike 10 years and touch-wood, still works fine. No problems with it.

The screamer disc alarm I had on the 9T did absolutely nothing.

Last edited by JayJosephS4RS; 14-02-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 15-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #30
utopia
No turn left unstoned

That's exactly the type of scenario that I'm talking about.
An alarm of some kind, even a cheap one, will cover such circumstances by alerting you to the chav activity before any damage is done.

Well, my alarm arrived and ...... it didn't work at all.
Also, communications with the supplier were rubbish and so I eventually gave up and "bad feedback'd" them.
I'm not totally deterred though ... I have stripped out the gubbins from the alarm and will investigate further (once I've replaced my faulty multimeter).
Apart from the alarm "speaker" and the battery, its just a single circuit board, which I may be able to install separately without the alarm casing.
Anyhow, so far-so bad, but we shall see how things progress.
Either way, I certainly would not recommend the particular supplier that I got mine from.