UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi all Newbie from lincs.

Old 21-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #46
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian900m View Post
Back again with another silly question - should the frame and engine numbers match ?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything after a search.
Mine dont.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #47
brian900m

Thanks Albie.

I shall be tidying up my bike in stages and mainly over the winter - if it looks half as good as yours I'll be happy!
Old 21-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #48
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian900m View Post
Back again with another silly question - should the frame and engine numbers match ?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything after a search.
The same engines were used in the 900SS, so matching numbers would be very suspicious!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #49
brian900m

I've decided to strip the bike down and give it a refresh! Why - well having ridden it and parked up there was smoke coming from underside of the engine! On investigation it appears there's oil coming from somewhere from the front cylinder which had dripped down onto the hot exhaust pipe.

Now, I'm no Ducati buff, but thought their engines were oil tight? It looks like the oil is coming from the cylinder head joint but cant be sure so as I shall be removing the engine for a better look and thought I might as well go the whole hog and strip the bike down completely.

Has anyone else experienced an similar oil leak?
Old 02-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #50
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Before stripping it I would check the oil filter which can sometimes leak (even proper Ducati ones) and could drip onto the exhaust. Also the oil cooler unions/pipes may be the culprit.
If you are stripping then you will need a socket/spanner that can get the head nuts off/torqued up again
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #51
brian900m

Leak isn't from the filter or unions 350 - seems to be from the head/barrel area. After further stripping of the bike I've noticed that there appears to be an oil leakage from one of the rear cylinder head studs as well!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #52
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Could be broken head studs? A common problem with those 900s

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #53
brian900m

Thanks Darren - for a 26yr old bike with numerous previous owners I guessed I'd come across some odd bit of trouble. Having said that its not in bad condition for 25,000 miles. Shall be removing the engine and stripping the bike to get the frame repainted so it will give me a chance to inspect the engine more closely.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #54
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Hi Brian
welcome to the fraternity look forward to meeting up sometime I have the Haynes manual which covers pretty much all of the early monsters.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #55
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Brian
probably the o ring at the bottom of the rear cylinder on the clutch side or as previously said it could be a snapped stud but iv'e usually found them on the horizontal cylinder.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #56
brian900m

Hi Pooh

Thanks for the offer but I've already invested in a Haynes manual - and its already got greasy paw marks on it!

You could well be right about the cylinder studs - the previous owner did mention that he'd replaced a couple. Did wonder whether he's missed off any O rings - we shall see!

Yes - have to meet up sometime when I get the bike finished !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: