UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi all Newbie from lincs.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #31
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Albie is your man for paint codes and that kind of stuff.
I painted mine with Simonize wheel paint, after days of getting the old stuff off with a brass wire brush, rubbing down with 600 grit W&D, then a coat of 2K etch primer then "Anthracite - nearly black dark grey - but the standard silver wheel paint is also pretty good
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #32
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian900m View Post
Nothing showed up on HPI check Darren - but that doesn't necessarily mean much I suppose? Previous owner stated it was a UK supplied bike - is there a way to check??

Thanks 350 - any idea what the paint colour/code is for the engine cases?
I used simoniz Matt aluminium engine enamel with acrylic lacquer on my cases.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #33
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Heres a link to the list I was referring to previously: -

https://sites.google.com/site/infoag...ribution-table

Someone else on here posted this a while back. I don't know where the numbers have come from or how accurate they are but I can only assume they must have come from someone at the Ducati factory.

I noticed that someone with the details below posted a list of the 916 production figures on another forum: -
FRANCESCA SOLA
Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale - Italy
www.ducati.com

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #34
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
....I looked at the factory production figures just now and the black 900 is not so rare as there appear to have been over 400 made and exported that year to Europe and a similar number to the US but none appear to have been exported to the Uk so that may account for it being uncommon. Maybe it is a euro import as there were a lot made for Germany/Swiss markets?
Don’t forget that back then there were a lot of “parallel” imports that didn’t come to the UK via Moto Cinneli, the “Official” importer, some of which were obtained from dealers in Europe.

A check of the logbook may give clues as the importer is sometimes mentioned where it states the bike was new when imported.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #35
brian900m

Thanks chaps for the replies.

I'll do some checking on year of manufacture and see if the V5 makes any mention of original 'owner'. Not that I'm too bothered - I just love the bike anyway!

Looks like first job is to get the engine cases off and some elbow grease applied.
Old 13-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #36
brian900m

As a newcomer to Monster ownership I'll be asking some silly questions! And here's the first - there's a rattle from the engine from the clutch area I think. Rattle disappears when clutch is pulled in and is not there when the bike is in gear. Is this usual, is the engine going to blow up.....
Old 13-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #37
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Congratulations! You are the proud owner of a Ducati dry clutch.

Does it sound like the standard one here at 1:53?

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #38
brian900m

That's it Luddite - many thanks. Good to know its normal - had a (sssssshhh) Honda once that use to have a rattly clucth - "they all do that sir".
Old 13-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #39
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #40
brian900m

Like it Slob! I'm sure I'll be posting a few more silly questions.
Old 17-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #41
brian900m

First time out on the bike - 2 things struck me - i) how useless the aftermarket mirrors are and ii) I do miss having a rev counter! Anyone fitted an aftermarket one??

Things I need to do to the bike for my own satisfaction:
i) replace the rhs footrest hanger as the pillion footrest mount is broken
ii) get various items coated i.e. footrest hangers and engine cases
iii) clean and buff up the exhaust pipes
iv) possibly replace brake lines with either new standard hoses or stainless braided type
v) general tidy up/clean
vi) get some new standard mirrors!!

Have full service carried out either by myself or Ducati dealers as no serice history came with the bike although the precious owner (who runs a smakll engineering firm) said he'd carried out a belt and oil change.
Old 17-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #42
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian900m View Post
First time out on the bike - 2 things struck me - i) how useless the aftermarket mirrors are and ii) I do miss having a rev counter! Anyone fitted an aftermarket one??
Standard mirrors are really only good for checking that your elbows are still there. I had a pair of Ducati Scrambler mirrors fitted on one of mine and the extra width of the lenses meant you could see behind yourself too! Needed LH/RH thread adaptors to fit though.

The M900 engine is the same as the 900SS, which had a rev counter as standard. The Monster has a blanked off hole in the front head for the mechanical drive, but they didn’t fit the worm drive cog on the camshaft. Check though as you could be lucky and find Ducati or a previous owner did fit one. A rev counter and cable from the SS would work well with a custom bracket.

Otherwise, there are electronic tachometers which take their drive from one of the ignition boxes. There are limited numbers of period RoadRacing and Ducati Performance upgrades that come up for sale periodically, but bear in mind these are twenty year old items, some of which had dubious quality control in the first place.

Otherwise there are plenty of new race tachos which can be modded to fit.

Personally I’ve never felt the need for a rev counter on the Monster, just keep changing up early and ride the torque curve!

Worth searching for rev counter and tacho threads on here. You aren’t the first to fancy one.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #43
brian900m

Many thanks for your comments Darkness - much appreciated.

With the current mirrors I can only see my arms - had to rigidly stick to speed limits just in case Mr Plod was behind me! I'll have a chat with my nearest Ducati dealer - see what they've got to say.

Maybe its just a case of getting use to not having a rev counter after every previous bike I've had having one. I'll have to get out and about a bit more and get used to the bike then make up my mind.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #44
Darkness

This is one shape of RoadRacing “Upgrade” that was available new back in the 90s.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MO...kAAOSwE25e6PwU

It would look better if you swapped your white faced speedo into it.
Old 21-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #45
brian900m

Back again with another silly question - should the frame and engine numbers match ?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything after a search.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: