UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi all Newbie from lincs.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
brian900m

Hi all Newbie from lincs.

Hi,

I'm an oldie from east Lincolnshire who has just bought his first Ducati - a 1994 Monster 900.

Since returning to bikes in my early fifties I've had a succession of bikes from those requiring complete restoration to those a bit more modern requiring little or no work.

The 900 I've just bought needs a bit of work to tidy it up - so first questions are
- is there a manual covering the early carb model Monsters and, secondly, wheres the best place for spares for same??

regards
Old 04-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian900m View Post
Hi,

I'm an oldie from east Lincolnshire who has just bought his first Ducati - a 1994 Monster 900.

Since returning to bikes in my early fifties I've had a succession of bikes from those requiring complete restoration to those a bit more modern requiring little or no work.

The 900 I've just bought needs a bit of work to tidy it up - so first questions are
- is there a manual covering the early carb model Monsters and, secondly, wheres the best place for spares for same??

regards
Hello and welcome. I have an early bike too. For getting to factory dealers especially helpful and a UKMOC discount Moto Rapido and quick delivery and nice to speak too. Also Stein Dinse online but you need to make sure you get an decent amount to cover postage . If not ask on here or scour the world like I do. Still nos parts out there depends on how hard and how much your prepared to get them.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Darkness

Hello and welcome on board!
There are quite a few early Monsters on here.
Albie has put some effort into refurbishing his:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ht=Back+series
Old 04-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Moco1961

Welcome to the forum Brian
Old 04-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi and welcome. Ebay can also be a good source of parts for early bikes too. Not so much around on there as there used to be however, but its still worth setting up some searches for parts you need, you never know. A lot of the parts are common and interchangeable across years and models too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:56 PM   #6
Flip

Welcome along, there are plenty of 900 and air cooled devotees here so it's a great source of help and information.

A Haynes manual is a good start as there isn't a great deal of difference between years and even many parts are inter-changeable between the capacities too.

I have one of the first editions covering model years '91-'96 but it's been fine for my 1997 900.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Wo...QAAOSw1Pxe0rol

Although there is a later edition now which covers the injected models up to 2004 also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-60...6clp%3D2334524
Old 05-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #7
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Welcome aboard!
Old 05-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
brian900m

Many thanks for the greetings chaps - and for suggestions for manual and parts sources.

Albie - that's a real lovely restoration - if mine looks anywhere as good when I'm finished I'll be happy.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Brian.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Welcome from a fellow Yellowbelly
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
Flip

As the others have said Moto Rapido will get many parts to you almost before you have ordered them and eBay will become your friend if you are looking for 'period' modification parts but some are getting stupidly expensive.

As with any older motorcycle the main issues that cause problems are age related and in the twenty years I've owned my 900 it is the effects of Ethanol in modern fuel that causes problems, particularly the Vacuum fuel pump.

In addition, a lot of the wires were already of marginal cross section for the expected current- typical examples are the yellow wires from the alternator and the red ones going to the 30A 'Maxi' Charging Fuse under the fuel tank. Both of these are something like 14AWG (at best) whereas to be capable of carrying 30A they should be at least 10AWG, couple this with oxidisation in the crimps means they can get hot and begin to melt the insulation.

We look forward to seeing pictures...we like pictures here
Old 05-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Like Flip says the Haynes SS/Monster manual is ok for most things. You may find factory workshop manuals are also available on CD from ebay for about £10 usually. Most wiring is usually adequate but like he also mentions the alternator wiring is a known weakness and if I were building a bike like yours I would replace all the yellow wiring and plugs from the alternator with something more capable of handling the current without melting.

The battery starter leads are also another issue where replacing with better quality wires will make starting much easier. You can probably find something suitable in Halfords but more expensive specific Ducati model kits are available from Exact Start or similar.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
brian900m

Many thanks again for all the very useful comments - i'll post a pic of the bike shortly

Ummm now, How do I post a pic here - my pic is held in a photo folder in Word??

Last edited by brian900m; 05-07-2020 at 07:14 PM..
Old 06-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yoiu need to use a photo hosting site like Post Image or if you have a Photo Bucket paid account you can use that, the free one doesn't work anymore. Most on here, including myself are using Post Image now.

https://postimages.org/

You don't even need an account set up to upload and post, but you can keep your images online if you do and it's free.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
brian900m

This should be a picture of my bike - thanks Darren

https://postimg.cc/BXTF8YHv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: