UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Old vets new

Old 17-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
pod

Old vets new

Good morning everyone whilst I have not been on here for a long time ,I am now going to open a debate, up until the start of the year I had 2 Ducati’s a 916 and a st4 both i loved but due to my age and not been as flexible as I was the 916 and the st had to go so I brought a jap a z1000 does every thing what it is meant to do perfectly but that’s the point it does it to well .so here I am thinking I miss that old twin . Now what do I buy as I like power ,but do I spend 7 grand on a 1200 monster or 5 grand on a S4R monster that has a rattle clutch and is from the era of my last 2 Ducati’s
I want something easier to ride ,and as I am only 5ft 6 in tall lower seat height
What do you all think .
Old 17-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum. I have a 1200s and think its fantastic, easy to ride and great fun.
Old 17-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Under normal circumstances I'd say "get out there and test ride a few"...

New normal:

The 1200 feels like quite a big lump of bike compared to an S4R, not really heavier but pretty tall at he seat so at 5'6" the S4R will probably feel more comfortable. Later models and S4RS have testastretta 998 motors rather than 996 but they all make way north of 100BHP so you should get the 916/ST4 buzz back.

A 1200 will be much newer with longer service intervals, being an 1198 it makes quite a bit more power whichever flavour you opt for.
If you're looking at pre '17 bikes 1200S handles way better than the 'non-S' model, from MY17 the chassis geometry changed a bit and the lower spec bike handles much better at low speeds than earlier models.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
pod

It’s the ease of riding I want now and I can ask Hagen to make a new shock like I had on the 916 , s4r worry’s me due to the 916 was hard to ride , I rode an 821 monster and it was nice but lacked power for me and I thought it was under geared for long distance
Old 17-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
It’s the ease of riding I want now and I can ask Hagen to make a new shock like I had on the 916 , s4r worry’s me due to the 916 was hard to ride , I rode an 821 monster and it was nice but lacked power for me and I thought it was under geared for long distance
Looks like you have talked yourself into a 1200
Old 17-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The S4 and S4R are detuned and have softer cams than the 916/996 SBK's so they have much more mid range and nearly as much top end, which really is too much for an unfaired bike. Like the SBK's though they do benefit from a less restrictive exhaust and some mild ECU tuning to really get the best out of. Go take a sorted one for a test ride. There's a nice S4 Foggy for sale on ebay if you want the ultimate S4 madness package! A sorted S4R or RS would be even better. S4RS for me please! Get one before the prices go stupid, asking prices for a nice S4RS have already gone up 2-3K in the last few years. S4 and S4R's are still decent money though.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Well I see you had an ST4 which is the same basic package as the S4/R so you should know how they are, although the Monster is way, way lighter than an ST4 but its the same chassis and engine.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: