UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Back on a Ducati after all these years

Old 18-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Druid

Back on a Ducati after all these years

I bought a 2010 Monster 1100 a few weeks ago, 11000 miles, just serviced including cambelts. I've only ridden it once and thought I'd made a mistake because it handled like a pig on roller skates, then I checked the tyre pressures 25psi front, 30psi rear! I should have known not to trust a dealer

Anyway, I had a bevel drive 900 back in the 1980s, sold it for £1700 shortly after giving Steve Wynn a large sum of money to rebuild the engine after it ate its big end bearings and broke a rod. I was skint, I needed the money

The Monster is a lot more refined, more comfortable and hopefully a lot more reliable.
Old 18-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Very different beast but still very similar, as you say the current models are more refined but just as good to ride.
There might be an upside to this covid biz.. quieter roads and the more lethal drivers stuck in small loops trying to buy toilet roll, beans and eggs

Enjoy
Old 19-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Beware the beans, egg and toilet roll cycle. Good advice, you don't want to get caught in that madness.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
slob

Looks like a nice clean bike with a few tasteful extras.
Welcome to the forum.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Druid, I've only owned two Ducati's, an 860 GTS in the 80's and a Monster 1200s now. Your Monster looks good, what bikes did you have in between?
Old 19-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #6
Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Welcome to the forum Druid, I've only owned two Ducati's, an 860 GTS in the 80's and a Monster 1200s now. Your Monster looks good, what bikes did you have in between?
There have been a few:

2010 MV Agusta Brutale
2009 Aprillia Dorsoduro
2005 Yamaha R1
1976 Suzuki GS750
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
1995 VFR750
2003 Speed Triple 955i
2004 Honda Firestorm
1992 CBR600
1994 VFR750
1988 CBR600
1983 Yamaha XJ900
1984 Honda VF750F
1976 CB400/4

I may have missed one or two, and I still have the GS750 as well
Old 20-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
The Clockie

And did the MV Brutale hit The Spot? Gorgeous bikes to look at but far too revvy for my tastes and probably not suited to UK roads. I'll make do with the MV chassis on my two Cagiva Raptors...

Nick

PS Welcome back to Ducati-land!
Old 20-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
There have been a few:

2010 MV Agusta Brutale
2009 Aprillia Dorsoduro
2005 Yamaha R1
1976 Suzuki GS750
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
1995 VFR750
2003 Speed Triple 955i
2004 Honda Firestorm
1992 CBR600
1994 VFR750
1988 CBR600
1983 Yamaha XJ900
1984 Honda VF750F
1976 CB400/4

I may have missed one or two, and I still have the GS750 as well
Quite a mix, I've probably had a couple more over the same time but all naked, still have my 2000 speed triple 955i though, I prefer it to the 1050.
Old 21-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
And did the MV Brutale hit The Spot? Gorgeous bikes to look at but far too revvy for my tastes and probably not suited to UK roads. I'll make do with the MV chassis on my two Cagiva Raptors...

Nick

The Raptor is a very underated bike I think. TL1000 engine and without the stability issues that blighted the TL. The styling is a bit odd in places though perhaps I'm too conventional in my bike tastes?

I always fancied a Bimota myself and very nearly bought a very cheap non running Mantra before the S4!

Anyway welcome along Peter enjoy the ride!

Old 21-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Welcome aboard Druid.
Really like the bevelhead, you could retire on the sale of that, if you still had it!
My only ride on a bevel was a short test ride in Milton Keynes.. I loved it and all those roundabouts.. Sadly the seller played sillybuggers and I didn't buy it.

Your 1100 looks tidy, but someone has stuck your knee pads on the wrong sides, upsidedown (comment from serial AJS and Matchless owner)

Enjoy your new bike mate and beware the deadly Giant Blue Anaconda!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 22-03-2020 at 09:51 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post

Nick

I didn't really get on with the Brutale, like you say it needs revving. Handled really well though, even on the bumpy roads up here. Some irritating stuff - 6 button presses of differing lengths on two different buttons to reset the trip used to really annoy me. Thirsty too, 120 miles to a 23 litre tank, I worked it out once at 30mpg. Looks are subjective aren't they, looks gorgeous from behind but awful from the front, really wide and heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Quite a mix, I've probably had a couple more over the same time but all naked, still have my 2000 speed triple 955i though, I prefer it to the 1050.
I thought the 1050 was much better, a little bit more power, better suspension, a lighter clutch and a much more comfortable seat made all day rides a pleasure rather than a pain. I think it loos better too, I'd have another one, but only a round headlamp model.
Old 22-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #12
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
The Raptor is a very underated bike I think. TL1000 engine and without the stability issues that blighted the TL. The styling is a bit odd in places though perhaps I'm too conventional in my bike tastes?
You must be thinking of the V-Raptor with its droop-snoot, horns on the tank and exaggerated seat hump. The basic Raptor is a dead ringer for an early Monster but rather neater around the motor area. No coincidence, as they were both designed by the same chap! I shall dig out a photo...

Nick

Last edited by The Clockie; 22-03-2020 at 08:26 AM..
Old 22-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I don't think I've seen that one on it's own, only in your Sea of bikes..

It looks quite acceptable to me. My old Bosch lamp looks comfortable in there, as if it grew there, a very neat conversion.

I can see several components common to Monsters, there's probably some I can't see too.
Old 22-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I don't think I've seen that one on it's own, only in your Sea of bikes..

It looks quite acceptable to me. My old Bosch lamp looks comfortable in there, as if it grew there, a very neat conversion.

I can see several components common to Monsters, there's probably some I can't see too.
Yea, V Raptor was in my mind and I see what you mean. It is very Mk1/Mk2 Monsterish but still a little bit Japanesey looking in places imo but I think that was Cagiva overall mission and to a degree Aprillia too (Italian but with Japan influence) that TL motor performance though is a winner for me. I still think the original Monster trumps it on looks and the S4R on both looks and performance.

Still, thanks for posting Nick and it's obviously a very interesting and rare bike and one for the cognoscenti but ultimately that may be its downfall since it didn't have the popularity of either the Monster or TL so it's probably a bit limited what upgrade bits you could get if you wanted to customise it a bit? Not to mention spares.

I still regret not getting the Bimota for the exclusivity but at the end of the day that would probably put me in the same niche bike ownership situation and would not have lead me to this forum. So I think in the end I did the sensible thing for a change and I'm so glad to be part of the UKMOC lot, even if I am in the S4/S4R water boilers minority group!

Old 22-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #15
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
..... I'm so glad to be part of the UKMOC lot, even if I am in the S4/S4R water boilers minority group!
Us airheads aren't going to hold that against you Darren, even if we do have our personal preferences.
A naked 90 deg v-twin Ducati is a thing of deep beauty, no matter what form it takes.

And yes, the bikes seem to attract the nice people, don't they ?
I've made many friends as a result.

I too pondered a raptor for a while but to be honest, if you're going to get that close you might as well get a real Ducati.
Similarly I also pondered an Aprilia Shiver but even though the name is a homonym for the closest I get to a religious icon, it wasn't enough to sway me even a teensy bit.
Being realistic though, I was smitten since falling for the 750 bevels in the early 70s and from that point (february 1974, dragon rally to be precise) there was never going to be another bike that would scratch my itch.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: