UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New to Ducati but not to bikes

Old 06-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
AndyB796

New to Ducati but not to bikes

Hi folks
Nice of you to have me along.
I’ve just bought a 2013 Monster 796. I’ve intentionally delayed collection until next weekend in the hope the weather warms up a bit by then, but also cos I’m at work this weekend & the thought of picking up the bike & not being able to play for another week would be painful.
I hope to learn from your Ducati wisdom, but after many years of bike ownership, maintenance and problem solving, I also hope to be able to give some back.
I’m on the border of Notts & Sth Yorks so hope to meet a few local fellow Ducati owners for a ride or meet up.
See you on the black stuff, stay safe
Andy
Old 06-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome aboard, Andy. You must have plenty of great biking roads near you and the 796 should be perfect for cutting across the moors!

Lots of 796 owners on here with a wealth of knowledge and experience for you to draw on.

Pictures please asap!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
AndyB796

Yeah, within an hour of the Lincolnshire wolds, the Peak District & the Yorkshire moors & dales. Spoilt for choice in that way.
I’ve been on a big thumping tourer for the last 5 years & am so looking forward to a smaller lightweight bike again. I’ve missed ripping a good handling bike around on the twisties!
I’ll get some photos uploaded over the next couple of days (when I can work out how to reduce the size!)
Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB796 View Post
I’ll get some photos uploaded over the next couple of days (when I can work out how to reduce the size!)
For posting pictures, you need to use a photo hosting site.
I use www.postimages.org/signup.

Once you've uploaded your picture, you should be presented with these options...

Click on the blue 'copy' icon next to the 'hotlink for forums' address and paste it into your post.

If you preview the post before submitting it, the picture will appear in the preview if you've done it correctly.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Welcome along, Andy.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
AndyB796

Let’s hope this works!
Took this one in the bike shop. Will upload some more once I’ve picked the beauty up!

Old 06-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome aboard. Looks nice, very clean too. I must say I like the belly pan and you don't see many with that. But I'm not so keen on the exhausts. Did you get the original ones with it?

There are plenty of better (looking) options available (Arrow/Termi etc) and might not break the bank s/hand and some MOT places are getting fussy these days anyway so its always handy to have the standard ones if you can snag them with the bike.

I'm north Notts btw and if I get one on the road this year I will be out for a few 'localish' rideouts hopefully. I've not ridden for a couple of years due to various issues, some physical, some financial.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:15 AM   #8
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
I know it's a matter of taste but i really prefer your exhaust system to the standard ones. Much nicer. I also had a bellypan like yours but have opted for the naked look recently, much prefer to see the undercarriage now.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not son keen on the standard ones but these on the other hand:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-SILEN...gAAOSwLMRcohfs

cough, cough how much!

Cheap Chinese Akrapovic copies?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl...0AAOSwXqpdpUSf

Mind you I probably wouldn't buy anything from there atm.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #10
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithredbike View Post
I also had a bellypan like yours but have opted for the naked look recently, much prefer to see the undercarriage now.

Since Ducati rediscovered elegant curvaceous exhaust pipes the belly-pan is a bit less justifiable, and it seems to me to make the overall image more droopy because it drops your view-point to the bottom. Not a fan!

Otherwise, welcome Andy!

Nick
Old 07-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello and welcome Andy... Bike looks great, I hope you get to enjoy it soon.

As you don't seem afraid of a mile or two, there's a few dates that might interest you..

April 19th Oakham Italian Day, Rutland.
May 31st Newby hall Italian day. Yorks.
June 20th East Kirkby Buell and Italian day, Lincs.

You can find the dates on the club calendar, which links to threads about the events.

There's also the Club's annual bash in Wales on 1st, 2nd and 3rd May. Be good to see you there. A great one this year if you are an aviation enthusiast.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
AndyB796

Morning all
Thanks for the welcomes.
I’m in 2 minds on the belly pan, I like the fact that everything is protected and kept clean, BUT (and it’s a big one) I love seeing a curvy polished exhaust winding its way from front to back. I think it’ll come off & only be used when the roads are messy, i.e early spring & late autumn.
On the exhaust, not keen on the look of the oem, so anything (for me at least) is a bonus! And the sound!!!! Ooh, I love the sound!
Thanks for the meet up dates, was born in Oakham so up for that one. Anything in Yorks or Lincs is always a good day out for me
Hope to meet up with soon
Old 07-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I've had one or two trips up to Oakham in recent years, since a mate of mine moved up there from 'ampshire. It's only a tankful away from Norfolk, and Rutland folk seem alright, so I'm looking forward to the Italian day. It's at the old Burley Prison which the inmates wrecked and is now an industrial estate.
Should be a good show of club folk, It'll be good to see you..
Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #14
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Andy, bike looks well tidy.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #15
AndyB796

Ok, I know Burley. Out towards Cottesmore on the old road to the A1. Even easier to get to from here. Weather permitting, I’ll definitely be there!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: