UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Advice please on rebuilding a 2005 Monster

Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Hamish

Advice please on rebuilding a 2005 Monster

Hi Everyone,

My godson and I have just bought a 2005 Monster 620 Dark - 02, with a V5 & all the paperwork from the previous owner, in 4 large wooden crates.

We have unboxed everything and are starting to clean and label all the bits, ready for a full rebuild. It has been boxed for about 5 years.

The engine turns and it looks like we have a complete bike. We have ordered a Haynes workshop manual.

Our plans are:

Drain engine oil and replace. What oil please?
Replace cambelts, plugs, air filter, fuel pipes, battery? Where to buy these parts please?
Remove alarm to stop noise and immobiliser kicking in when we come to start it?
Replace 2013 dated tyres?
The spark plugs are old Champions RA6 HC & RA4 HC - are these correct, or can any UKMOC members suggest best plugs to buy please?
We need to replace 4 badly corroded exhaust studs. Cann we use studs from local nut & bolt shop?
Cambelts are labelled 190 187 5 208 DS & 153 5 208 DS - can we just order 2005 Monster belts?
Replace belt tensioners or service & keep?
The injector packs have been cleaned with carb cleaner - do we need to strip and rebuild like an old carb, or should they work OK with new fuel please?

ANY ADVICE WELCOMED PLEASE?

We live in Norfolk - Any MOC members live near us who would like a look at it over a cuppa and biscuits?

Thanks in anticipation.

Richard & Hamish
Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
What sort of biscuits have you got?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Hamish , good luck with your project and I'm sure there will be plenty of help forthcoming from the other members, hobnobs is always a good starting point .
Old 03-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
+fuel filter

parts: Call Craig or Luke at Moto Rapido 01962 873981 (mention UKMOC for 10% discount on most parts) Super efficient mail order.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Drain engine oil and replace. What oil please? 10w40 Motorcycle specific semi-synth. Don't use car oil or the clutch will slip.

Replace cambelts, Ducati belts from Moto Rapido, or Exactfit from http://www.exactuk.com/about-exactfit-cam-belts/
plugs, Use NGK, not Champion, correct number will be in the Haynes manual.
air filter, and oil filter.. K&N from ebay
fuel pipes, Moto Rapido again.
battery? Motobatt.. Price doesn't vary much but shop around on ebay
Where to buy these parts please?
Remove alarm to stop noise and immobiliser kicking in when we come to start it? Pass!
Replace 2013 dated tyres? Oh yes definitely!!
The spark plugs are old Champions RA6 HC & RA4 HC - are these correct, or can any UKMOC members suggest best plugs to buy please? As above NGK
We need to replace 4 badly corroded exhaust studs. Cann we use studs from local nut & bolt shop? Yes, use stainless if you can.
Cambelts are labelled 190 187 5 208 DS & 153 5 208 DS - can we just order 2005 Monster belts? Order for 620.. As above.
Replace belt tensioners or service & keep? If they spin freely and are not rough, use again. Expect a little resistance from the seals
The injector packs have been cleaned with carb cleaner - do we need to strip and rebuild like an old carb, or should they work OK with new fuel please? Ultra-sound cleaner is best... Pop them in the one I currently have on loan from Utopia, a member on here.

ANY ADVICE WELCOMED PLEASE?

We live in Norfolk - Any MOC members live near us who would like a look at it over a cuppa and biscuits? See previous post..

Thanks in anticipation.

Richard & Hamish
Old 03-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
slob

NGK DCPR8E

I'd use something like these on the exhaust studs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Fl...r=561918993594
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
NGK DCPR8E

I'd use something like these on the exhaust studs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Fl...r=561918993594
Good call Rob.. Couldn't remember the number off hand, and not sure if same for 620.

Slar plenty of coppaslip round if you use stainless studs... You'll know how to slar it if you're true Norfolk...
Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep, just to confirm that if Gazza is ok with it, you can certainly stick your injectors in my ultrasonic cleaner which he currently has on loan.

Is the fuel tank plastic or steel ?
If plastic, be aware that ethanol in petrol causes them to swell and not fit properly.
Draining and leaving them to dry out makes them shrink back to original dimensions.
I imagine its completely empty now, but worth making sure.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
dacs

Hamish, welcome. I'm not that far from you, in Aylsham. You don't say whether this is your first Monster so the following may be superfluous but the hardest thing I found when fiddling with (sorry, maintaining) mine was dropping the assumptions that come with working on Japanese motorcycles - the design approaches are culturally different.
This link may help https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts - drop down the page until you find the appropriate year and model for part numbers/exploded diagrams to supplement the Haynes manual.
Be aware that buying new Ducati bits will avoid the minefield of trying to find second-hand stuff on Ebay, which will fit A Monster but not necessarily YOUR Monster (don't ask how much I spent finding that out).
Ask on this Forum if you have a problem, there will always be someone who can give an answer in my experience. Best of luck with the 4 boxes of bits, I look forward to photos of the completed build.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Hello and welcome. I can guarantee you that I'll be absolutely no help to you technically, but I'll definitely be following your progress with great interest!
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
Moco1961

Google is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Slar plenty of coppaslip round if you use stainless studs... You'll know how to slar it if you're true Norfolk...
.....SPREAD, !.........I love a good quiz, you'll have to try harder than that Gary
Old 03-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #12
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Biscuits.....did someone day biscuits!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
What sort of biscuits have you got?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Biscuits.....did someone day biscuits!
Trust you two!!!

Hamish and Richard, good luck with the rebuild- you know what they say when doing these things to always allow your budget, plus at least half again over?

That theory may be tested!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
Darkness

Bike: M900
Especially the biscuit kitty!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Ug oh! Better allow more for the biscuits already...Leave the Hobnobs alone Boris you 2@.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...34p?ocid=ientp

Tags
full rebuild.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: