UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Spotted » Black 695, The Mall

Old 10-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Black 695, The Mall

Chappie in a bright fluro thingy. Seen him twice on consecutive nights this week (new contract). Black, Red frame. I know it's a 695 cos last night I could read it on the side. Heading West.

Me on tall, loud black KTM thingy. Heading East.

If you're not on here, you should be.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
gra001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
Chappie in a bright fluro thingy. Seen him twice on consecutive nights this week (new contract). Black, Red frame. I know it's a 695 cos last night I could read it on the side. Heading West.

Me on tall, loud black KTM thingy. Heading East.

If you're not on here, you should be.
Hi Jerry. What "black KTM thingy" you got. The SDR has made my shortlist!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

950SM. Fantastic bit of kit but nowhere as fun or involving as the Monster ! Cheaper to run than the S4Rs, but 1st service was £400 from memory - needed to check valve clearances.

I still doubt that I could take Darry or Damiano on their 620s tho.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
gra001

Be interested to hear your views if you have ever compared the Superduke to your S4RS? The duke wasn`t even on my list untill I saw it at Brands.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

oh, Graham, hello mate

The KTM is relatively sterile. I bought the SM for commuting and it's great for that, but it's not in the same book let alone on the same page as the S4Rs. IMHO (and other SD/SM owners), the Superduke is like a sporty supermoto, whereas the S4Rs is like a relaxed sportbike.

I got the duke from, er, let me go and check... Hyside in Essex (inside the M25 so still safe). They have Ducatis too so you could ride both back to back and let us know what you think.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
gra001

Quote:
oh, Graham, hello mate

The KTM is relatively sterile. I bought the SM for commuting and it's great for that, but it's not in the same book let alone on the same page as the S4Rs. IMHO (and other SD/SM owners), the Superduke is like a sporty supermoto, whereas the S4Rs is like a relaxed sportbike.

I got the duke from, er, let me go and check... Hyside in Essex (inside the M25 so still safe). They have Ducatis too so you could ride both back to back and let us know what you think.
That`s interesting Jerry. The feedback I have so far is that the SD is like a naked sports bike rather than a sporty moto.......perhaps it amounts to the same thing??? I was at Hyside yesterday but they don`t have a demo S4RS. Anyway, I`ve now dismissed the Motard so at least the list is narrowing!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
benson

Hyside were a great lot to deal with after my motard was rear ended - don't suppose they had many monsters in did they when you were there? Interested to see what you end up with - I didn't think the motard would be for me but it was and is - I'm smitten!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
gra001

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson View Post
Hyside were a great lot to deal with after my motard was rear ended - don't suppose they had many monsters in did they when you were there? Interested to see what you end up with - I didn't think the motard would be for me but it was and is - I'm smitten!!!
Hi Benson. Yep, they seemed very friendly. They had a 695 on which they would do a good deal and, I think, an S4R. I think I`m down to a shortlist of two now.......S4RS and SDR. Until I find another to add to the list!!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
benson

The 695 is a top bike and there will be some rather good deals I think as the 696 arrives in force - can't quite get into the shape of the 696 yet although I'm hoping to go and look at one in the flesh this weekend if the weather permits! I'd be after an S2R 1000 I think if I wanted to replace my M900ie...Happy decision making tho!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Graham, you could always take my bike out if you can't find an S4Rs to test. That might not be such a bad idea actually as the factory sets the front far too high IMHO and mine has been properly adjusted by Rob at PvT.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
gra001

Quote:
Graham, you could always take my bike out if you can't find an S4Rs to test. That might not be such a bad idea actually as the factory sets the front far too high IMHO and mine has been properly adjusted by Rob at PvT.
Jerry, that`s a very kind offer and I may well take you up on it. It is very difficult to find a dealer with a demo` S4RS. Reddog had a black one for sale but were reluctant to let me ride because of adding miles to it. Strange attitude given that we were, and still are, looking to buy two bikes. Needless to say, I wont be buying from them and they are my local dealer. If the weather stays good tomorrow I have an SD test ride booked. On another point, I spoke to a dealer earlier who expects the S4RS build run to stop within, perhaps, 1-2 years. Not sure if that is a good reason to buy one or not?? Could mean a powerful 696 style bike on Its way. Could make the S4RS a bit of an icon.
I`ll let you know what I think of the SD. One guy on another forum thinks the throttle is like an on/off switch........could be a problem then!!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

indications are that the watercooled Monsters will be replaced by a naked 1098 to compete directly with the likes of the SD and the Tuono.

Ducati will produce the bike when:

a) there's sufficient demand
b) they have excess capacity in the engine plants

I think this year or next might be the last for the watercooled Monsters. Personally, I think the S4Rs is enough power on the road, and the classic looks are what attracted me to the Monster in the first place.

A nekkid 1098 would be cool, but for me, too much power on the road and Ducati would want to position it as a distinct bike, so it would likely look nothing like the Monster. I've been told that it will be a 1098 without a fairing. Probably it will end up looking similar to the Brutale and the Tuono. But that's all supposition.

So, Graham, if you want a good road bike, get the S4Rs - the best Monster they ever built!

(asbestos pants packed )
Old 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
gra001

Quote:
indications are that the watercooled Monsters will be replaced by a naked 1098 to compete directly with the likes of the SD and the Tuono.

Ducati will produce the bike when:

a) there's sufficient demand
b) they have excess capacity in the engine plants

I think this year or next might be the last for the watercooled Monsters. Personally, I think the S4Rs is enough power on the road, and the classic looks are what attracted me to the Monster in the first place.

A nekkid 1098 would be cool, but for me, too much power on the road and Ducati would want to position it as a distinct bike, so it would likely look nothing like the Monster. I've been told that it will be a 1098 without a fairing. Probably it will end up looking similar to the Brutale and the Tuono. But that's all supposition.

So, Graham, if you want a good road bike, get the S4Rs - the best Monster they ever built!

(asbestos pants packed )
Yep, all packed. Two prozac 1 hour before
Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
benson

Enjoy and I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the SD....
Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
barbican

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson View Post
The 695 is a top bike and there will be some rather good deals I think as the 696 arrives in force - can't quite get into the shape of the 696 yet although I'm hoping to go and look at one in the flesh this weekend if the weather permits! I'd be after an S2R 1000 I think if I wanted to replace my M900ie...Happy decision making tho!
Theres a nice silver 06 S2R1000 in CMW at the moment discounted to quite a good price - - Tempting?