UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Sorn Insurance

Old 15-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Sorn Insurance

Had an interesting discussion with my insurance company this week, when my renewal came in I thought I'd see if the fact my 900 is sorn'd if it would make the insurance cheaper only to be told that they wouldn't insure a sorn'd bike unless it was road worthy - ie has an MOT.

Now for those who have multiple bikes, might be worth checking your insurance about this. I ended up switching companies (to Footman James who were mega helpful), insured the 1000 as normal and got a storage/garage policy for the 900.

£160 for the 1000, fully comp, £45 for the 900!

Bargain all round
Old 24-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
PDS

I have been with footman James for the last 7 years not always the cheapest, but have found them helpful, for me personally i have heard so many PITA things about the "cheaper" insurance companies, it has put me off moving for the sake of 20 or 30 quid.
Old 24-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
popelli

been with carol nash 12 years

no problem sorned bikes / bikes in storage

usually got a sharper pencil than footman james as well
Old 25-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Carol Nash weren't interested unless the stored bike had an MOT - difficult as it's partially stripped for rebuild, thought they were particularly unhelpful as well, the women on the phone was having a conversation with a colleague all the time I was on the phone
Old 25-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Carol Nash weren't interested unless the stored bike had an MOT - difficult as it's partially stripped for rebuild, thought they were particularly unhelpful as well, the women on the phone was having a conversation with a colleague all the time I was on the phone
spoke to them on saturday and added my bsa onto my policy, no problem at all even though the bike has not been on the road for over 15 years, real bonus as it only cost an extra £10 to add it on for fuly comp insurance

maybe you spoke to the wrong person
Old 25-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
You can see the point of this insurance on sorn'd bikes.

Its for your own safety ???

Some tea leaf decides to nick your bike and it falls over on him so he can claim against you ..

It makes no sense, it has no point. You have to assume that it was invented by the insurance industry or they lobbied for this emminently sound change in the law.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Mohawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
You can see the point of this insurance on sorn'd bikes.

Its for your own safety ???

Some tea leaf decides to nick your bike and it falls over on him so he can claim against you ..

It makes no sense, it has no point. You have to assume that it was invented by the insurance industry or they lobbied for this emminently sound change in the law.
May have misunderstood this but I don't believe there is any legal requirement to insure a sorn'd bike, though I can understand why owners would want to. The recent change is you have to insure a bike which isn't sorn'd.