UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Beware swinton bikes....

Old 26-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
scrapps

Beware swinton bikes....

I insured a 100cc scooter with Swinton bikes back in march and have since sold it on.
I called them to say i need to cancel my policy only to be told there is a cancellation fee,ok some companies will charge if you end the policy early or within the first few months.
They then said it would be £77.00 WOW thats more than the total insurance for the year.(70.69)
The problem is i can't just leave the insurance to run out as you can not insure the bike if you don't own it.....
They also charged me a extra £24.00 as i did not see in all the paperwork that i needed to sign and return a credit agreement within 14 days.
So i paid a deposit and payed for 4 months insurance, now as i have sold the bike they want me to also pay £77.00 on top

Be warned they are not very helpful and i feel very cheated by the company.

Last edited by scrapps; 26-10-2011 at 01:38 PM..
Old 26-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Mohawk

If I'd the same situation I'd just leave the insurance to run out.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
Robbing f**kers!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapps View Post
So i paid a deposit and payed for 4 months insurance, now as i have sold the bike they want me to also pay £77.00 on top .

tell them that you have sold the bike and will not be paying any more money and walk away from them

if they want to pursure you in court for the remaining 8 months say you wish to refer the matter to the financial ombudsman and tradig standards
Old 27-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
He11cat

Ditto id leave it to run out.....
Oh joy my bikes are all with Swinton.
Mind you can't see me selling them.

The only people who seem to win is the Insurance companies!!
Bennets I think charged me a cancellation fee ... talk about suck you dry
Old 27-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
scrapps

They have p###ed me right off. The problem is its a legal problem having two insurances running on one bike,i don't want the other persons(new owner) insurance to be invalid if they try to claim.
I will be taking it up with FSO and have sent them a email to say i will be doing so...

(I am not able to do anything that is even in the gray area of the law )

Last edited by scrapps; 27-10-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Old 27-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
samieb

Swinton Ins. have always been a pile of sh1te. Since I started driving over 20 years ago.
Old 27-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
scrapps

I will agree with you no that.
I tried to add it to my other policy but Ducati insurance does not cover scooters.
Old 27-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
i have always found them helpful, but i think you do generally speak to a local office, when i sold my S4 they sent me money back for cancelling the insurance?
Old 27-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
scrapps

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksurfer View Post
i have always found them helpful, but i think you do generally speak to a local office, when i sold my S4 they sent me money back for cancelling the insurance?
I hope the complaint department is more helpful than the guy i spoke to on the phone. Waiting for a reply to my email
Old 27-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
I hope the complaint department is more helpful than the guy i spoke to on the phone. Waiting for a reply to my email
good luck on that one!
Old 27-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Scott1

With Swinton, you can usually get round the extra £24 payment for the late returning of documents, just say they never told you a dozen times and they will amend it, they never flippin tell you anyway as they hope to catch you out but they are supposed to.

This has happened to me twice, they behave like thieves at times and wish I'd paid a few more pennies and gone with Ducati.
Old 27-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Mohawk

Quote:
They have p###ed me right off. The problem is its a legal problem having two insurances running on one bike,i don't want the other persons(new owner) insurance to be invalid if they try to claim.
I will be taking it up with FSO and have sent them a email to say i will be doing so...

(I am not able to do anything that is even in the gray area of the law )
I dont think if you left your insurance running it would invalidate the other insurance. If the new owner has an insurance certificate then he's insured. It's not as if you are going to be making a claim. Good luck getting it sorted
Old 27-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/s...d.php?t=736849
the 4th post down (by dunstohn) is informative
manwithredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #15
Mand

Quote:
I will agree with you no that.
I tried to add it to my other policy but Ducati insurance does not cover scooters.
When I had my scooter, Ducati insurance insured it with my 620 and DRZ no problem, in fact it didn't cost me a penny....... maybe because it wasn't worth owt.

Hope you get it sorted though. Nothing worse than a robbing insurance company... Perhaps Swinton can be added to the Room 101 thread?