UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Brembo rectangular reservoir pedantry

Old 12-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
the lodger

Bike: M900
Brembo rectangular reservoir pedantry

My Brembo front brake master cylinder, which is rectangular ( M900 from 1995 ) , has a lid which is weeping a bit so I thought I would replace the gasket . There was a cap and gasket for sale on ebay for a reasonable price so I bought the set. It looks like a proper Brembo one , but compared to my original there is a difference in the "warning" script on the top of the cap. My original cap says .......ONLY USE DOT 3+5.......whereas my new one says ......ONLY USE DOT 4...... . The vendor says that Brembo changed their cap part number and hence the warning to exclude a reference to using DOT 5 as it damaged the seals .

Any thoughts anyone ( I warned you it was pedantic ! ) ?
Old 12-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I've got a pair of surplus coffin tops which are off of my S2R, should fit.
See how you get on with the lettering (don't stare at it too hard whilst in motion!) if it bugs you that much let me know
Old 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
DOT 3
DOT 4
DOT 5.1 (note the ‘point one’)
are all ok, they’re all Glycol based (and mixable). The main difference is the boiling point.

DOT 5 is Silicon based and can’t be mixed with Glycol based types, it will also cause problems with seals in systems not designed for it. AFAIK Harley-Davidson are the only bike manufacturer that specify DOT 5

Last edited by slob; 12-03-2020 at 05:33 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
the lodger

Thank you for the replies.

Does anyone know if I can buy just the gasket for the reservoir ?
Old 13-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Give your nearest Ducati dealer (or Moto Rapido) a call.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
Does anyone know if I can buy just the gasket for the reservoir ?
Not from Ducati. The part number is for the lid, diaphragm and screws.

By the way, check which size master cylinder lid you need. Early 900 and 600s have the same size as the clutch reservoir. Later ones are larger.
Old 13-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
the lodger

Mine seem to be the same size visually . When you say larger , do you mean obviously larger or is it fractions of a millimeter ?

Can you tell me the part number for the correct set ?

Many thanks
Old 13-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If you absolutely, positively have to have the original wording, then Stein-Dinse appear to have them.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_...roducts_id=294

Edit: The full Brembo part number is 110430860 (another example here) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREMBO-PS...-/351990583876

Last edited by Luddite; 13-03-2020 at 06:58 PM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
Mine seem to be the same size visually . When you say larger , do you mean obviously larger or is it fractions of a millimeter ?

Can you tell me the part number for the correct set ?

Many thanks
The bigger ones are significantly bigger.

Old 13-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I think there are some crossed wires here?
I think all the lids are the same size and not even handed from what I remember. (Although there is a front and back.)
However the actual pots do come in different sizes (heights). The early brake reservoir was the same size as the clutch, but this was enlarged fairly early on. I am fairly sure that there are two different piston sizes for the brake master too. (not that it's an issue here).
Certainly the single disc models use a 12.7 or 13mm piston and the twin disc version is bigger but I can't remember the size atm! I believe the single disc reservoirs stayed the small size for a while but were later increased to the same size as the twin disc one, with just the piston sizes differing.

Watch out for Scrambler brake masters (They use a cable clutch) as they use "coffin" reservoirs with a 13mm piston, but I think the design is different to the Monster era Coffins and I don't think they interchange.

Strange that the lids with DOT 3+5 seem to be saying use Glycol OR Silicone based fluids... That can't be right??

Some useful contacts.. http://www.ducatipaddy.com/
https://www.powerhouse.uk/content/mo...-seal-kits.php

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 13-03-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #11
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I think there are some crossed wires here?
I think all the lids are the same size and not even handed from what I remember. (Although there is a front and back.)
However the actual pots do come in different sizes (heights). The early brake reservoir was the same size as the clutch, but this was enlarged fairly early on. I am fairly sure that there are two different piston sizes for the brake master too. (not that it's an issue here).
Certainly the single disc models use a 12.7 or 13mm piston and the twin disc version is bigger but I can't remember the size atm! I believe the single disc reservoirs stayed the small size for a while but were later increased to the same size as the twin disc one, with just the piston sizes differing.

Watch out for Scrambler brake masters (They use a cable clutch) as they use "coffin" reservoirs with a 13mm piston, but I think the design is different to the Monster era Coffins and I don't think they interchange.

Strange that the lids with DOT 3+5 seem to be saying use Glycol OR Silicone based fluids... That can't be right??

Some useful contacts.. http://www.ducatipaddy.com/
https://www.powerhouse.uk/content/mo...-seal-kits.php
Nope. I’ve had both and the lids aren’t interchangeable.
Early coffins are the same size lid as the clutch, whereas later 90s coffins are bigger.

If you take your lid off, make a note of the Brembo seriel no. Cast into the underside.
Old 13-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Fair Dinkum Darkness.
I have a box of all sorts and I thought that I had mixed lids and masters with no problems, but I will have another little play when I get a chance and see if I have two sizes of lid.
I've only ever seen DOT4 lids though.